• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Suicide King (309)

Visit the Episode GuideTHE WALKING DEAD - SEASON THREE
    THE SUICIDE KING
    EPISODE NUMBER - 309
    After a confrontation in Woodbury Daryl’s loyalties are tested by both sides, and Rick’s group threatens to splinter. A breach leaves the town in disarray, while newcomers at the prison raise concerns.

VISIT THE EPISODE GUIDE >>
    Last edited by Darren; 12 February 2013, 01:42 PM.

After last year's mid season climax, I guess there was a momentary thought that the momentum of the first half may be lost... But that thought soon fizzled away, as The Suicide King went off all guns a blazing!

I was actually surprised when Rick n co came back for Daryl... Given the reason they were there in the first place, I guess that surprise was a bit silly on my part, but it was a great relief to Daryl rescued from his predicament, even though Merle had by that point stopped wailing on his bro and had his back instead.

Perhaps not as action packed as the previous 2 episodes, with time taken to do some talkin' and such, there was nonetheless never a moment left watching the telly thinking - This is just pointless filler, now get me back to the action. The Merle plot has developed I guess the only way it could without him dying - Daryl has left with his brother... I guess I did need to see the "next time" clip to be assured Daryl wasn't really going to be gone for good... Or at least - I wondered if his character may be rested and return later... At this point though I'm guessing he'll be back with the gang soon - OR - may well be that he has to rescue them from the Governor later..! If that's the path the story takes, with Merle involved in the rescue... it will certainly mix things up!

I thought they must have had a stand-in for Sarah Callies (as Lori), given her departure from the show, but apparently it was indeed her standing on the gantry... (Getting Prison Break vibes now...) Seeing Rick continue his delusions was I guess pretty upsetting and disturbing, especially when he whipped out his gun... seeing everyone step back... and [younger farmer's daughter] grasping the baby tighter... Will be interesting to see how they progress with this plotline... though of course we just saw Rick imagine he saw Shane, so it's actually being followed fairly well - at least it's not random.

Can't help but wonder what it would be like to be in the newcomers' shoes... Arrive at a safe haven, only to be told you'll likely have to move on... knowing you're out there with zombies and people like the Governor... I'm thinking the two African Americans may end up with the group, but the white fellas are doomed... Or they'll all be tarred with the same brush... After the prisoners storyline, with only 1 of them left... I guess we needed the fresh blood...

And Andrea... Was good seeing her take charge... having her little speech about how history will remember this plague... considering she was so close to suicide not that long ago, it just reminded me of poor Dale...

I'm curious (but don't think I want an answer/estimate from the graphic novel readers) how the story will progress in terms of duration in this setting... I know people said it would need more than 1 season - I'm thinking at this point, we'll get it.

(Now - why the hell am I the first person posting here! The show aired in the US days ago! )
    Last edited by cosmichobo; 12 February 2013, 12:36 AM.
    back on YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@The-Cosmic-Hobo
    "How Doomsday Should Have Ended!" • "Bigger on the Inside?" • "The Doctor Falls - With Hartnell!"
    "The War Games - In 10 Minutes" • "Announcement of Jon Pertwee's death" •
    and lots more!

Comment

Great first episode back. So much went on. I am very concerned for Rick. I wonder how much he will spiral out of control?
      sigpic
      MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
      "...phu...ah..."
      "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
      Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Originally posted by the fifth man View Post
        Great first episode back. So much went on. I am very concerned for Rick. I wonder how much he will spiral out of control?
        Depends. There is only so much a man can take and if they are going the realistic route it can only get worse at the moment. He is at the verge of a Mental breakdown, with the Governor soon coming knocking on his Doorstep. He might get himself together one more time, but after that I am pretty sure he will break and be useless for a few Episodes.

Cant say much for the Merle and Daryl stuff. I wanted to destroy Merles face when they were going off with a grin on his Face that said "You lost and you are so screwed".
        Fuzzy Wuzzy wasnt old,
        Fuzzy Wuzzy gotten bald
        There was Fuzzy no more Wuzzy

Comment

WOW where do I start

All I can say is I agree with tomstone up there I wanted to break Merle's face. But I figure really what choice did the writers have....Daryl is such a likeable character...what would it look like if he suddenly just turned against his own brother? I mean Daryl wasn't really left much choice he did tell Rick he leaves I leave but Rick was right ...Merle wouldn't have lasted 2 minutes back at the prison with all the others. Although that may have been comical to watch

So while I'm a bit angry at Daryl for choosing Merle over the others especially Carol I just have this feeling he did it full well knowing he would eventually meet up with the group again. And thank goodness they did show Daryl in the next upcoming ep so I'm just wondering how that all plays out.

As for Rick well that is to be expected. Personally I'm glad they didn't just drop the Lori deal and make Rick all better...that would be so unrealistic and I could see things just flooding back to him when he returned and held the baby and the girl mentioning she looked like Lori....that was all it took to trigger all that back for Rick. So relapsed are expected and that seems real to me. I think Rick will pull it together when he needs to.

Andrea's little speech was good and not surprising since she's the poster child for knowing how to buck up and latch on to whatever or whoever in order to survive. What I can't believe is she is even continuing to give the Governor the benefit of the doubt and now more or less ask him not to push her away??? I'm thinking it's much too late for that...how they will get back into that storybook romance after this is beyond me

All and all a solid ep but I'm very displeased with the Daryl/Merle situation and I figure they will keep Merle around long enough just to kill him off at the end of the season
          Originally posted by jelgate
          This brings much pain but SQ is right

Comment

I had forgotten about Rick's current Situation in the first half of the episode tbh, and then i saw ghost lori and i'm like oh right Ricks a psycho atm

Spoiler:
            I'm also wondering if Daryl leaving and going of on adventures with Merle is how we will see Morgan again? ive heard rumors his gonna be in s3
            Last edited by mr_kennedy; 14 February 2013, 01:04 AM.
            Last Movie Watched
            X-men - First Class

Last Video Game Played
            Life is Strange

Comment

Morgan - was that the guy from the pilot who looked after Rick after his son clubbed him with the baseball bat? Would be nice to see him again, though I think it's probably getting a bit long in the tooth to be a coincidental meeting, given the time and distance between meetings.

One thing I forgot to mention, that almost felt "comic booky", yet felt just right - When Daryl etc were fleeing Woodbury, and Daryl snatches a (his?) crossbow from one of the Woodbury guys... Yes, Daryl is whole again!

I like the idea of Daryl and Merle staying peripheral for a while... Just having a few minutes each episode, reminding us they're alive, and ultimately as audience we see they are heading back into the fray around when the Govnor and Rick come to battle... Or something like that.

If Merle is to die... It has to be gruesome...!
              "How Doomsday Should Have Ended!" • "Bigger on the Inside?" • "The Doctor Falls - With Hartnell!"
              and lots more!

Comment

Yes I second that...the most gruesome death for Merle!!! HERE HERE *raises beer mug*

Comment

Originally posted by squirrely1 View Post
                  Yes I second that...the most gruesome death for Merle!!! HERE HERE *raises beer mug*
                  It of course wont be Glenn who does the dealing with Merle... Cos that only happens in Die Hard movies... And it will give Glenn more to ***** about... (Not saying he's a *****y character - just in terms of creating more drama...)
                  and lots more!

Comment

Pretty good episode and interested to see where this goes...
                    Can see why Daryl left, but glad he will be back...

Comment

Originally posted by cosmichobo View Post
                      It of course wont be Glenn who does the dealing with Merle... Cos that only happens in Die Hard movies... And it will give Glenn more to ***** about... (Not saying he's a *****y character - just in terms of creating more drama...)
                      yeah that would be too neat and tidy to allow Glenn to exact his revenge on Merle...it has to be Daryl....cuz that will be so emotional. Oh and I'l spoiler this cuz it's from the most recent ep in case anyone hasn't seen it yet...but....
                      Spoiler:
                      I am sooooooo happy that Daryl wizened up and left Merle to go back to camp YAY!!! I figured that wouldn't take too long cuz Merle is just impossible to like at this point. But then when I saw that Merle had followed Daryl I had to grumble but then alas it was perfect as he had to rescue Rick and co at the prison so now how can they kill him or throw him out? *sigh*

But wow that Prison shoot out scene that was just awesome and so now I want to stab the Governor in the other eye right about now!

Comment

Working...
                      X