No more 3D releases

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No more 3D releases

No More ‘Star Wars’ 3D Prequel Releases; Lucasfilm Passes To Focus On New Trilogy

EXCLUSIVE: I learned of this decision just now from Lucasfilm‘s promotional partners who are telling me the studio now owned by Disney wants to focus only on "rebooting the franchise" with three new Star Wars films. This surprising decision follows the underwhelming box office performance of Episode I: The Phantom Menace re-released in 3D in February 2012. It debuted to only $23M domestically but maybe even more importantly hardcore fans felt it was yet another craven cash grab by George Lucas. Back in September 2010, Lucasfilm and then-distributor Fox announced that all 6 films in the Star Wars franchise would be converted to 3D. Episode II: Attack Of The Clones (first released on May 16, 2002) was to hit theaters in 3D on September 20th, 2013, while Episode III: Revenge of the Sith (first released on May 19, 2005) was to play in 3D on October 11, 2013. This news comes just days after Disney confirmed that J.J. Abrams will direct the new Star Wars: Episode VII scheduled to be released in 2015. It’s the first new Star Wars movie since 2005. Michael Arndt is writing the script. Disney bought Lucasfilm in October 2012 for $4 billion, with the Star Wars franchise obviously the jewel in the crown. At the time, Disney CEO Bob Iger said three more Star Wars films were in the pipeline.
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Y'know, I have to admit, I have some mixed feelings about this.

Comment

3D is over rated anyway
      Last Movie Watched
      X-men - First Class

Last Video Game Played
      Life is Strange

Comment

3D is certainly overrated, and I see absolutely no point in converting to 3D. It can look good if the movie was originally shot in 3D and edited with 3D in mind. Converted movies are just a headache...
        sigpic

Comment

I saw this on the BBC, they're saying they've been delayed (but doesn't say for how long for).

I'm not so bothered about the prequels, Episode II is **** and I saw III in the cinema when it came out initially. However I'm too young to have seen the Original Trilogy in the Cinema (I was 6 years old for the special editions came out) and I was looking forward to finally seeing them on the big screen. The articles only mention the Prequels, does anyone know about the Originals?
          Jedi_Master_Bra'tac, previously known as wako!

Comment

I was hoping to see the OT in theaters...

Comment

Did anyone see the 3D release of Episode I? If done well, I was excited about having them all in 3D. I likely would have seen III - VI in the theatres.
              sigpic

Comment

I did go and see Episode I in 3D. Mainly for the Darth Maul 3D glasses.

Comment

Working...
                X