Iratus bug genetic memory?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Iratus bug genetic memory?

A whole load of questions remain about where the wraith came from but we are led to believe they were created when the Ancients were fed on by the Iratus bug. That doesn't explain how the wraith got their own distinct technology to rival the Ancients though.

Wraith tech is very different to Ancient tech so it's unlikely that it came from the Ancient side. That leaves the Iratus bug. Could those little critters actually be very very smart and contain genetic memory like the Goa'uld?

Perhaps the wraith are not the only race/first race to be created by blending with an Iratus either? Could there be others out there?

I doubt the writers thought that far. I can only presume that the Wraith create their own technology(or at least their tech originated like this) like a spider creates his own webs.
    "I have never understood why it should be necessary to become irrational in order to prove that you care... or why it should be necessary to prove it at all."

Comment

imo: they evolved and developed their own technology over the million plus years that the Lanteans were in the galaxy. It is hard to say what other races they may have encountered during their development to fast track their technology, as they were all likely wiped out later.

They don't need any special genetic memory for this. The Wraith and Earth Humans appear to have a similar species age.
      Last edited by Durgia; 27 January 2013, 12:52 PM.

Comment

They were the only race int he Pegasus to rival the Ancients, so I think that the Wraith just started off with their own technology (which might have been weak at that point) and then copied technology from other races, maybe came across an Ancient outpost even, allowing them to significantly update their own technology...
        I do believe that some part of the Ancient knowledge lingered in the first "full-blood" Wraith, that helped them get started.

Comment

To me it would make more sence that the Wraith were ALREADY a very intelligent species prior to the Atlanteans big wake up after seeding the Peg Galaxy with Humans rather then them
          Spoiler:
          being just another REALY BIG FAILED EXPERIMENT
          like the current SGA books are saying.
          I like Sharky
          sigpic

Comment

I'm thinking that there could be some kind of symbiotic knowledge storage mechanism going on between the Iratus and the Wraith with the Iratus being the long term storage vehicle.

OK, so the Wraith race came into existence when an Iratus bit an Ancient. My guess is that the Iratus likes to bite things whenever it can. It sits there waiting to bite whatever comes along. When it bites something it tries to blend it's DNA with the host to create a new species that can feed on the host species.

That race then goes out, attacks others gathers knowledge. Making enemies in the process.

The wraith then blend back with the Iratus because it gives them extra healing powers when theirs are not suffcient. My theory is the wraith knowledge then goes back to the Iratus storage.

If the enemies of the Wraith were victorious they would wipe out the Wraith, but would not even think to wipe out the Iratus because they would not know about this symbiosis. So this is a low risk way of the Iratus gathering knowledge and becoming more powerful.

The rapid progression of the Wraith tech could have been obtained from previous Iratus/alien races that have been destroyed or moved on.

Comment

Kind of a side note but recenlty rewatched the first season and I am led to wonder. Could the Wraith Spin webs?
              I like Sharky
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by The Flyattractor View Post
                Kind of a side note but recenlty rewatched the first season and I am led to wonder. Could the Wraith Spin webs?
                The Wraith in "Defiant One" wrapped one of the expedition members in webbing. He may have spun it, or it may have been a by-product of the ship.

Comment

Working...
                X