BC could use the support from fans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BC could use the support from fans

Hello all there is currently a situation brewing in Vancouver BC that has an effect of the Sci-fi comunity and they could use your support.

Vancouver has for many years been a hub for Sci-fi film and television production, bringin us shows such as Stargate sg1,sga,sgu, Once Upon A Time, Eureka, Arrow, Fringe, Falling Skies, Twilight, Tron, The 4400, Supernatural, Vampire Diaries, Continuum, I Robot, Alcatraz, The Secret Circle, BSG, Cap, Underworld, X-Men, Wolverine, Hot Tub Time Machine, X-Files, Butterfly Effect, Final Destination, Night at the Museum, Dead Like Me, Sabrina Teenage witch, Fantastic Four, AVP, Case 39, White Noise, Dark Angel, 6th Day, Sliders, Macgyver, Watchmen, Scary Movie, Last Mimzy, Romeo Must Die, Pathfinder, Paycheck, The Day The Earth STood STill, 2012, Imaginarium of doc Parnassus, Kingdom Hospital, and on and on. a more complete list can be found here

http://moviemaps.org/cities/2

This list does not even include the countless M.O.W.'s, Documentarys, and independant shows. but it gives you and idea of the scope, and quality of shows.

Vancouver and British Columbia in general has found the industry that brought you these shows under attack by way of lack of government attention rendering the magic mix of production personal and location that made these shows what they were/are in danger of collapsing.

So far many film industry guilds, organisations, and unions have been lending support and I thought mabey the fans of these shows might like to as well. Let's as fans show Vancouver how much we appreciate the multitudes of adventures they have given us. please visit thier facebook page

http://www.facebook.com/savebcfilm

and if you feel motivated please sign their petition at

http://www.avaaz.org/en/petition/SAV.../?fhYmRdb&pv=8

I know many of the producers, writers, actors, and crew members (myself included) of these shows have lent a hand to our many causes, mabey now is a chance to return the favour.

Thank You in advance for your help and GATE ON!!!!
    Last edited by hercthx; 17 January 2013, 03:23 PM.

over 20,000 signed the petition so far in the past 5 days!

Comment

I signed. that is one city that I really want to visit.
      sigpic

Comment

I'd love you to come visit!

Comment

I signed it! Alot of good sci-fi thrives in Canada!

Comment

Thanks RT!!! you guys rock!

Comment

I've signed the petition and I don't usually go for these sorts of petition things, but I do have a great regard for the people who make the shows and movies in Vancouver as they have made many wonderful shows happen. I've had the chance to meet many of them and I wouldn't like to see them leave this wonderful place to go elsewhere. So they get my support!

It's a sad state of affairs that the present BC government has let the wonderful film industry that had been nurtured over the years until quite recently get to the point where I don't see as many productions on the BC Film Commission list as there used to be. When I first arrived in Vancouver from the UK in 2005 there were so many productions going on, and the days of newspaper articles that told of how much the film industry contributed to the local economy made for great reading, Stargate being the top one at the time! Even the company my husband worked for a while back benefited from orders placed by various productions for materials to make props. Now too many productions are going to Ontario for my liking!

I became a Canadian citizen 18 months ago and I know I won't be using my first vote as a citizen in a Provincial election to bring the present government back!

Hope you make it to Vancouver one day Blueray, it's a great experience to finally see all the lovely locations that you've seen over the years on great shows filmed here. I still enjoy going out and finding more lovely spots I've seen on TV. This interest that the TV industry has generated for Vancouver and its surrounding area has been a boon for the tourist industry too, shame the value of that is being overlooked by the BC government!!!

Comment

Krisz thank you so much. your words are absolutly champion!

Comment

Signed! I'm in Austin, TX, which also has an incredible film community that benefits economically from the productions that come to film here, so this is something that I take close to heart. Good luck to BC!
                  Where am I going and why am I in this handbasket?!

"You can't afford to be afraid if you're going to succeed in this business. It's time to stop running and face what's been chasing you for so many years." I did and it's going to be amazing.

"I want to live! I want to explore the universe...and eat pie." -Urgo

Comment

I sympathize and empathize but I won't sign as I find online petitions to be a waste of time as they tend to accomplish very little if that
                    Originally posted by aretood2
                    Jelgate is right

Comment

thanks heather I LOOOOVE Texas spent a great summer in the SW that took me trekin from del rio to el paso, a crazy trip to the monahans and crater park, thru a wild 2 weeks in the davis mountains (cool fort and awesome observatory got to take a look at mars there) ending up with yag shots at the counter at judge roy beens!!! and message received jel thanks for checking it out!!
                      Last edited by hercthx; 19 January 2013, 04:26 PM.

Comment

So no-one's actually made it terribly clear what's happening. Is the government simply not having much input/stimulating the industry or what? Has there been cuts in funding since the golden era of 2005 or just the fact that the Sci Fi channel have been cancelling everything and the recession (if BC was hit by it) has made the company look for cheaper sites and supplies elsewhere (BC has professionals etc).

I'll play the role of the sceptic for a moment, but why should the government give preferential treatment to the industry other than the obvious profit factor? I mean, why should they get tax cuts and another group not?

I support governments having in input which involves the industry asking for help, saying that the work is going elsewhere and helping people keep their jobs but on the same level places have to make themselves look attractive, like with a job audition.

Through my immensely limited knowledge all I can say is that I'm sure there's industries all across the nation, even world, which are having issues. Industries have to go to unions and the governments. Asking people on the internet has, as Jelly stated, limited impact.

My comments are not my opinion on the matter, merely I am trying to find out more. I don't sign anything - even a trivial online petition before I know all the facts. My opinion is that I hope the industry can pick itself up (I miss good sci fi... though a lot on that list I find dreadful) and that the government will do what's best for the people in the region.

In reality the government can't really do much without funding... which is taken from people and companies. For them to intervene means taking money out of another place.... Typically they cut their own luxuries last. SyFy's moved out due to collapsing funds so the government's probably doing the same.

So... the problem's not the government so much as the industry... and by that I mean companies such as SyFy.

Comment

Hey SCS I'll PM you as I would feel that to respond to all that here might feel/come across as grand standing. thank you for your posting.

keep the wonderfull comments comming! Glad to see fans have something to say!

Comment

Lots of our wonderful Stargate Actors are tweeting fans to support this cause...I've signed the petition, liked and follow the Facebook page and if there's anything I can sign or do in a few weeks' time when I am back in Vancouver I will do it.....Stargate (and many TV programmes before and after it) has shaped my life over the past 7-8 years and through it I've travelled the world and met and made lifelong friends ....this profession is one of the hardest for all concerned and working in it and it should be supported by fans all over the world imho....

Peter Deluise was at the meeting in North Vancouver 2 nights' ago and was live tweeting from it....times are hard yes, but entertainment is the one shining light to keep people's spirits up - some of the brightest and most amazing films came out of the Depression last century....let's hope our actors' and actresses', writers' and directors', and most importantly hard working backstage crews' voices are heard...

Deeds xx
                            sigpic
                            Thanks to slizzie1986 for signature
                            MSOL - Official Website of Michael Shanks

Comment

Thanks Discodiva! ya there was so many people there very heart warming seeing so much support.

Comment

Working...
                              X