This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help! how do I imply rape?

I am going to write a fic where a character is raped but I do not want to write about the actual details of the rape. It is essential to the plot that the rape occur but the plot will not focus on it. Rather the children resulting from the rape. How do I get around writing the rape's details?

Originally posted by gatelover12
    I am going to write a fic where a character is raped but I do not want to write about the actual details of the rape. It is essential to the plot that the rape occur but the plot will not focus on it. Rather the children resulting from the rape. How do I get around writing the rape's details?
    Not easy to do... I wrote a fic where sexual abuse was implied as the prelude to rape but the woman was rescued before the actual rape. I dealt with the details in therapy but skimmed around them mostly. It would be very important to have a beta reader. And seeing as your sig places you as a teen male, I would probably recommend a female beta if you can find one.

You could always use the CSI type of replay. The rape kit scene at the hosital or infirmary. Medical details rather than from the victims point of view. The victim's point of view could be more emotional rather than physical details. The feeling of helplessness, anger over the violation, feelings of guilt for "letting" it happen... (Don't red rep me for that but that is one emotion that rape victims do go through. They feel as if their actions, clothing, etc. drew the attention of the rapist.) That way you avoid the details.

Comment

Originally posted by meimei
      You could always use the CSI type of replay. The rape kit scene at the hosital or infirmary. Medical details rather than from the victims point of view. The victim's point of view could be more emotional rather than physical details. The feeling of helplessness, anger over the violation, feelings of guilt for "letting" it happen... (Don't red rep me for that but that is one emotion that rape victims do go through. They feel as if their actions, clothing, etc. drew the attention of the rapist.) That way you avoid the details.
      Well it takes place in atlantis the victim is rescued from a wraith ship. I'll try to implement the rest though! thanks.

Comment

I would be willing to bet that Beckett could do a rape kit. Most doctors have training in that.

Comment

I would be willing to bet that Beckett could do a rape kit. Most doctors have training in that.
          Why is the question I mean we know it was a wraith and with nothing to compare it to/no way to persacute the offender. why would he? I'm almost leaning toward her confiding in sheperd. but since we are dealing with Teyla (she is the victim) I'm not sure how she would do that. (As she is an athosian)

Comment

I see your point. A physical examination would still be the norm in any case of rape. There can be physical damage as well as emotional. And as far as Teyla confiding in Sheppard, they are friends. He's probably the closest friend she has on Atlantis since the other Athosians are on the mainland.

You could also make very good use of their training sessions. Teyla, normally being very controlled, losing it and whumping up on Sheppard. Taking out her anger on him and then confiding in him as a way of trying to explain why she just kicked his posterior.

Comment

I see your point. A physical examination would still be the norm in any case of rape. There can be physical damage as well as emotional. And as far as Teyla confiding in Sheppard, they are friends. He's probably the closest friend she has on Atlantis since the other Athosians are on the mainland.

You could also make very good use of their training sessions. Teyla, normally being very controlled, losing it and whumping up on Sheppard. Taking out her anger on him and then confiding in him as a way of trying to explain why she just kicked his posterior.
              Now that I can work with! I love the training session idea! (mental note give miemie credit) thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by gatelover12
                Why is the question I mean we know it was a wraith and with nothing to compare it to/no way to persacute the offender. why would he? I'm almost leaning toward her confiding in sheperd. but since we are dealing with Teyla (she is the victim) I'm not sure how she would do that. (As she is an athosian)
                Having her confide in Sheppard might be too obvious. People that the victim knows the best are not always the first one she (or he) would tell. She'd feel very vulnerable and might fear that the mutual respect they've developed would disappear with such a revelation. Of course we know that Sheppard would never respond like that, but when people are sexually assaulted they often have irrational fears about how people would react.

Having her confide in Ford or even *shudder* McKay might be more realistic because she would still trust them, but wouldn't have as much to lose if they reacted badly to it. Ford might be the most likely person because he seems the most sympathetic of the three guys.
                Secretary-General of GATO ¤ Defender of F.O.R.D.

Comment

Originally posted by Major Tyler
                  Having her confide in Sheppard might be too obvious. People that the victim knows the best are not always the first one she (or he) would tell. She'd feel very vulnerable and might fear that the mutual respect they've developed would disappear with such a revelation. Of course we know that Sheppard would never respond like that, but when people are sexually assaulted they often have irrational fears about how people would react.

Having her confide in Ford or even *shudder* McKay might be more realistic because she would still trust them, but wouldn't have as much to lose if they reacted badly to it. Ford might be the most likely person because he seems the most sympathetic of the three guys.
                  McKay!! Oy! That's definately a shudder!! I don't see her confiding in him as he is too irreverent about everything... I don't think he would deliberately do anything that would hurt her feelings but I don't think he could handle the information without his natural snarkiness jumping in.

Ford... I could see that. He's friendly enough but can be serious when required.

Comment

Originally posted by Major Tyler

Hmm that could work maybe have her take her anger out on shep and storm out and then confide in ford. (a little later) Thanks.

Comment

Ummm, there's also that Physcologist that was in The Gift. She could be talking to her about it.

Comment

Originally posted by Agent_Dark
                        Ummm, there's also that Physcologist that was in The Gift. She could be talking to her about it.
                        Whoever Teyla does confide in would very likely refer her to the psychologist (Dr. Jane Heightmeyer was her name) but it is unlikely that Dr. Heightmeyer would be the first person she went to, unless the writer intends to show that Teyla and Jane's relationship is different than they show on-screen.

Incidentally, here is another reason why Teyla might not immediately confide in Sheppard, assuming the fic takes place after "The Gift."
                        Spoiler:
                        When Teyla confides in Sheppard that she is having disturbing nightmares and difficulty sleeping, he tells Dr. Heightmeyer about it without Teyla's consent. She felt betrayed by that and would probably not confide another personal secret like that to him again, or at least, not anytime soon.
                        Secretary-General of GATO ¤ Defender of F.O.R.D.

Comment

McKay mightn't be such a bad person for her to confide in. He's analytical and very much a cut-through-the-BS type. Sometimes it's easier to confide awful things to someone who *won't* offer a lot of sympathy and emotion, so Teyla might find McKay's distance and detatchment make him an easier sounding board.

I think though it's down to how you want Teyla to behave in the story. If you want Teyla to need sisterly advice, have her tell Weir. If she wants sympathy and comfort, Ford. If she wants to tell someone just so that she can talk to someone, anyone, about it and not have it trapped in her mind all the time, she should tell McKay. For lots and lots of emotional stuff and Teyla venting all her frustration and anger on a convenient target, Shep would be good.

But whoever she tells, Mei Mei's idea of Teyla whacking Shep to bits before she tells anyone sounds good.

Madeleine

Comment

ok, so teyla was captured and attacked, then rescued and noone notices/knows but eventually finds out???

umm, there is the physical indications. bruising, bleeding, soreness. if she's unconscious and beckett examines her, he'd see the bruising, especially on her thighs, probably arms and legs (teyla would fight and fight hard and would be bruised because of it)

she could also have internal injuries, tearing and bruising inside that make her hurt

i imagine teyla being very shaken, she's a warrior and a warrior was vanquished/too weak to fight

she'd be withdrawn, angry when confronted, mood swings, issues with being startled or touched

then you could have the characer of your choice recognizing the signs and confronting her
                            Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Well The focus of the fic will be a wraith/athosian hybrid child and how such a child would experiance atlantis. Of course she have to deal with being raped and then when Beckett examinates her (several days to maybe a week later with the new info about the rape) and tells her she is pregnate she'll have to deal with that as well. Then their is a conflict about a half wraith child being a HUGE security breach and Shep/Ford and possibly even Mcay standing up for Teyla's right to have (or not have) this child and how they have a responsibility to it if she decides to have it.

Comment

Working...
                              X