New Guns?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Guns?

I was re-watching Epilogue when I noticed that the guns they had while they were searching the bunker weren't Stargate standard P90s, but were some kind of gun that I vaguely recognise but cannot identify. Can anybody help me out?
    An Axe age, A Sword age, Shields are sundered,
    A Wind age, A Wolf age, Ere the World falls,
    And no Man shall spare Another.

Driving fast has never killed anyone. Suddenly coming to a halt, that has killed many, many people

The Pope, an Irishman and an Italian are walking down a street, when one of them says "Hey look guys! A bar!"

Do you have any screen caps?

Comment

http://www.gateworld.net/gallery/dis..._display_media

Only one I could find that showed most of the gun.

Driving fast has never killed anyone. Suddenly coming to a halt, that has killed many, many people

The Pope, an Irishman and an Italian are walking down a street, when one of them says "Hey look guys! A bar!"

Comment

That's the G36K. IIRC, it's been used on set from say one.

Comment

Thanks. I wasn't saying it was new in the episode, just that I had noticed it now. I wasn't really paying much attention to the guns until now. Thanks again

Comment

No problem

Comment

So what advantages and disadvantages do these ones have compared with the P90?

Comment

Well, you get a longer range, better armour penetration, more wounding ability - especially at closer range -and ammo compatibility with your SAWs, but you also get increased overall length, bulk, weight, flash and muzzle blast (although a good flash hider can sort the last too out). The Magpul PDR essentially combines the two and would, in my opinion, be a better choice than either.

Comment

It's also been used in SGA and SG-1, just not as often.
                  sigpic

Comment

They use the G36K, UMP, M4 and the standard M9 (92FS) sidearm of the US military. Also the Para-Ordnance P-14. As opposed to the standard Stargate of P90 with M9. Something different that also happened was only officers carried sidearms. So to my knowledge they've only got 3 M9s and 1 P-14 from Young, TJ, Scott and James.

Comment

You know, I never noticed that about the sidearms.

Comment

Neither did I...

Anyway, I don't personally know much about guns. What would you guys recommend as other potential weapons for Earth teams, or for selling to allies?

Comment

My ideal, standardised list of firearms would be:

SG teams: Magpul PDR using the M855A1 round.

Base guards and assault teams: the TAR-21 using the M855A1 round.

Sidearm: SIG Sauer P226, using the Swedish M39/B AP round.

SAW: FN Minimi using the M855A1 round.

GPMG: UKM 2000

HMG: M2HB Browning

GMG: CIS 40 AGL

Base defence (my version): ASP-30 cannon

The PDR and TAR-21 would, in an ideal fictional world, soon be replaced by a single, modular weapon firing 6.5mm Polymer Cased Telescoped Ammunition (PCTA), while the Minimi would be replaced by an LSAT derived LMG firing the same ammunition. Both systems would use electrical ignition.

The HMG and GPMG would also be swapped out for a PCTA weapon: the HMG for the ARES TARG, and the GPMG for an LSAT derived 9mm weapon.

As for selling weapon systems to allies, I imagine that the Owen SMG and a simplified AR-18 - like the T2 Mk5 - would be good for an interwar/WW2 era nation.

Comment

What about for temporary emplacements? Like if we need to defend somewhere until everyone has been evacuated? Any heavy guns or types of mortars?

Comment

.50 cals, along with airbursting 40mm AGLs and ASP-30 cannons, supported by Chinese extended range 60mm mortars. 120mm mortars might also be viable, having about the same HE content as a 105mm field gun, but with a much lighter weight.

Comment

Working...
                              X