PDA

View Full Version : Drunk Daniel

corey2002
February 10th, 2005, 02:07 PM
how did this idea come to be?i cant remember im ever beeing drunk on the show. its definately not one of his traits.so what is writers (no offence) obsession with the idea? shure, its kind of funny, but...

Madeleine
February 11th, 2005, 12:48 AM
He's a little lightheaded in CotG at Jack's house but not drunk.

He's pretty tipsy in Lost City I.

Albion
February 11th, 2005, 03:47 AM
I think Madelaine hits it on the head. Right at the start of the show, in COTG, Daniel makes it clear he's not a beer drinker and has a low tolerance for alcohol - he gets a buzz on just a few sips of the beer and blames it on 'gate lag'. Looks like fanfic writers took that and ran with it.

It's a pretty common phenomenum in fanfic writing. You'll find it's the little throwaway details like that that get blown up into fanfic canon over the years.

Albion :)

greytop
February 13th, 2005, 06:21 PM
He's a little lightheaded in CotG at Jack's house but not drunk.

He's pretty tipsy in Lost City I.

I think Madeline hits it on the head.
She sure did and he only had one beer in CoG and may be was working on his second in Lost City.

Being a a non-drinker, myself, I probably would be the same as Daniel when drinking beer or anything like that.

Mr Prophet
February 13th, 2005, 11:52 PM
It's utterly unrealistic, of course. Archaeologists are well known to come in two kinds: teetotal and heavy drinking. If he touches booze at all, Daniel should be able to drink the entire SGC under the table.

Mayalaen
February 14th, 2005, 10:33 AM
But it all comes down to the fact that a drunk Daniel is fun to write and you can pretty much do anything you want with him as you have never seen him drunk. I think that's why they like to write him that way. And... I enjoy every one of them :D

Katerine
February 16th, 2005, 03:29 PM
It's utterly unrealistic, of course. Archaeologists are well known to come in two kinds: teetotal and heavy drinking. If he touches booze at all, Daniel should be able to drink the entire SGC under the table.

Interesting that you would find this unrealistic. Personally, I don't know about "archeologists," but one of the things I've always loved about Daniel is that he defies stereotypes. He's always been one to march to the beat of his own drum.

As a result, it never occurred to me to look at "drunk Daniel" from the perspective of "would an archeologist be like this?" but rather from the perspective of "would Daniel be like this?" I think, yes. Even if it weren't established in canon, I'd still picture him as a very occasional social drinker. It makes sense for Daniel to be somebody who stays away from alcohol as a general rule (mostly because Daniel is a very private person), but makes exceptions when he feels it's appropriate (like social occasions with Jack where either he's commisserating about dead/missing loved ones, or Jack is about to die).

Mostly, I kind of like the concept of Daniel having no head for alcohol because Daniel is such a cute drunk...

Whatshername
February 19th, 2005, 01:53 PM
Mostly, I kind of like the concept of Daniel having no head for alcohol because Daniel is such a cute drunk...

My thoughts exactly. Personally, I think alcohol's an awful thing, but written well, Drunk Daniel is one of his cutest forms.

Osiris-RA
February 19th, 2005, 02:06 PM
The best time he was intoxicated with something was in that one when that princess or whatever she was stuck him in the sarcophogus. Boy, when the other footwear falls ....

Sonya
February 24th, 2005, 05:49 PM
I love that in "Need". Who needs drunk Daniel when you have Daniel high on... umm... the sarcophagus. He was totally out there.

furling
February 24th, 2005, 06:25 PM
two of his funniest moments are when his drunk, like when he is saying that tealc is deepest guys he knows

strangemagik
March 3rd, 2005, 10:36 PM
I liked that episode. LOL He was a cute drunk(or almost drunk).

I don't drink I guess I'm alot like one of you say his character is. I feel funny after 2 sips. I have NEVER been drunk EVER!!! I don't know many other 25 years olds that can say the same. :S LOL

Sam fan
March 4th, 2005, 10:32 AM
I love to read drubnk daniel ficsm i think that it's really funny and of course he always reveals soimething he wasn't supposed to! lol which he does pretty well when he isn't drunk, oh daniel's great....

KissHerJack
March 9th, 2005, 05:50 AM
It is so funny that I should log on today and find this topic because just this morning I posted a fanfic with a drunk Daniel. LOL!

Drunk Daniel is extremely fun to write... and I take the silly drunk (as stated) from CoTG and Lost City references. Most especially Lost City because it's more recent and Daniel is blathering a bit and Jack says "No more beer for you!"

My drunk Daniel tends to ramble... and be a little out of character without forgetting himself. Again... really, really fun to write. :-)

Gail

Shivan
March 9th, 2005, 05:53 AM
It might not be Daniel's trait. But it's one of Michael's traits! I saw him in Chicago and he was drunk!!! LoL!

But I think it made him look cuter!!

niallzer_uh_huh
March 9th, 2005, 06:37 AM
You mean there's an entire genre in fanfic of Daniel sipping bottles of Guinness, swaying and complimenting Teal'c?

Would that not get a tad repetitive after a while?

hkgonra
March 18th, 2005, 07:04 PM
What is COTG ?

greytop
March 18th, 2005, 07:31 PM
What is COTG ?
Children of the Gods, the series premere.

hkgonra
March 18th, 2005, 07:36 PM
Ty