This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Drunk Daniel

how did this idea come to be?i cant remember im ever beeing drunk on the show. its definately not one of his traits.so what is writers (no offence) obsession with the idea? shure, its kind of funny, but...
    MSG Me If You Can Answer This:
    I have a 720p tv, and i have plugged my xbox into it and it gives me the option choose between 480p, 720p, 1080p, and 1080i display settings. I'm not really sure which one to choose on it, I know not to use the 480 setting, and obviously my tv only plays 720, but what if i set it to 1080? would the quality degrade? i cant rly notice a difference when i set it higher but maybe one who is more knowledgeable could tell me what im missing?

He's a little lightheaded in CotG at Jack's house but not drunk.

He's pretty tipsy in Lost City I.

Madeleine

Comment

I think Madelaine hits it on the head. Right at the start of the show, in COTG, Daniel makes it clear he's not a beer drinker and has a low tolerance for alcohol - he gets a buzz on just a few sips of the beer and blames it on 'gate lag'. Looks like fanfic writers took that and ran with it.

It's a pretty common phenomenum in fanfic writing. You'll find it's the little throwaway details like that that get blown up into fanfic canon over the years.

Albion
      Listen, we had General Ryan come on and do a little cameo for us, and he's a real live four star, one of the big guys. And I had to ask him point blank, because there's a certain irreverence that I bring to the character, and denseness, but while we were doing this scene, I just looked at him and said, "Do you have guys like me in...?" and he stopped me and said, "Yes, and worse, and you're doing a fine job, son."

Richard Dean Anderson

Comment

Originally posted by Madeleine_W
        He's a little lightheaded in CotG at Jack's house but not drunk.

He's pretty tipsy in Lost City I.
        Originally posted by Albion
        I think Madeline hits it on the head.
        She sure did and he only had one beer in CoG and may be was working on his second in Lost City.

Being a a non-drinker, myself, I probably would be the same as Daniel when drinking beer or anything like that.
        Last edited by greytop; 13 February 2005, 06:42 PM. Reason: adding content

Comment

It's utterly unrealistic, of course. Archaeologists are well known to come in two kinds: teetotal and heavy drinking. If he touches booze at all, Daniel should be able to drink the entire SGC under the table.
          Behold the majesty that is...GERALD!
          - Read The Prophet's fan fiction at The Lost Vegas Public Library.

Comment

But it all comes down to the fact that a drunk Daniel is fun to write and you can pretty much do anything you want with him as you have never seen him drunk. I think that's why they like to write him that way. And... I enjoy every one of them

Comment

It's utterly unrealistic, of course. Archaeologists are well known to come in two kinds: teetotal and heavy drinking. If he touches booze at all, Daniel should be able to drink the entire SGC under the table.
              Interesting that you would find this unrealistic. Personally, I don't know about "archeologists," but one of the things I've always loved about Daniel is that he defies stereotypes. He's always been one to march to the beat of his own drum.

As a result, it never occurred to me to look at "drunk Daniel" from the perspective of "would an archeologist be like this?" but rather from the perspective of "would Daniel be like this?" I think, yes. Even if it weren't established in canon, I'd still picture him as a very occasional social drinker. It makes sense for Daniel to be somebody who stays away from alcohol as a general rule (mostly because Daniel is a very private person), but makes exceptions when he feels it's appropriate (like social occasions with Jack where either he's commisserating about dead/missing loved ones, or Jack is about to die).

Mostly, I kind of like the concept of Daniel having no head for alcohol because Daniel is such a cute drunk...

Many thanks to blingaway for the sig pic.

Comment

Originally posted by Katerine
                Mostly, I kind of like the concept of Daniel having no head for alcohol because Daniel is such a cute drunk...
                My thoughts exactly. Personally, I think alcohol's an awful thing, but written well, Drunk Daniel is one of his cutest forms.

Comment

The best time he was intoxicated with something was in that one when that princess or whatever she was stuck him in the sarcophogus. Boy, when the other footwear falls ....
                  TEAM SG1 LIVES

Comment

I love that in "Need". Who needs drunk Daniel when you have Daniel high on... umm... the sarcophagus. He was totally out there.

Sonya's Fanfiction:

Don't make a move tonight, you can only stagger
                    Once she's got you in her sight you're the one she's after.
                    One by one you count the fights, doesn't even matter
                    That she's got you by surprise, misery's your master.

Comment

two of his funniest moments are when his drunk, like when he is saying that tealc is deepest guys he knows
                      Oneil: You ended the sentence in a preposition, you ba$tard!

Comment

I liked that episode. LOL He was a cute drunk(or almost drunk).

I don't drink I guess I'm alot like one of you say his character is. I feel funny after 2 sips. I have NEVER been drunk EVER!!! I don't know many other 25 years olds that can say the same. LOL
                        ~Melissa

Comment

I love to read drubnk daniel ficsm i think that it's really funny and of course he always reveals soimething he wasn't supposed to! lol which he does pretty well when he isn't drunk, oh daniel's great....

Comment

It is so funny that I should log on today and find this topic because just this morning I posted a fanfic with a drunk Daniel. LOL!

Drunk Daniel is extremely fun to write... and I take the silly drunk (as stated) from CoTG and Lost City references. Most especially Lost City because it's more recent and Daniel is blathering a bit and Jack says "No more beer for you!"

My drunk Daniel tends to ramble... and be a little out of character without forgetting himself. Again... really, really fun to write. :-)

Gail
                            Gail R Delaney

Are you a Sam and Jack Shipper?
                            http://outoftheroom.homestead.com/index.html

What is allowed does nothing for me. What is forbidden arouses me fiercely. ~Ovid ~ Amores 2.19.3

Comment

It might not be Daniel's trait. But it's one of Michael's traits! I saw him in Chicago and he was drunk!!! LoL!

But I think it made him look cuter!!

Comment

Working...
                              X