• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Boy Must Live (511)

Visit the Episode GuideFRINGE - SEASON FIVE
    THE BOY MUST LIVE
    EPISODE NUMBER - 511
    Walter's newly-recovered memories lead to a reunion with Donald, who reveals the true nature of the plan to stop the Observers. Elsewhere in time, Captain Windmark discovers the anomaly's connection to a banished Observer.

VISIT THE EPISODE GUIDE >>
    Last edited by GateWorld; 25 May 2015, 10:52 PM.

Stupid "plan", I get the feeling September is still not telling them the whole truth, maybe the scientist the boy was/is supposed to change the mind of is a descendant of Walter.

Walter is obviously going to be the one to go now, and I hope Windmark finally get's his face burnt off.

BTW, was it just me or did the Observer Commander have an uncanny resemblance to Walter?

Comment

Originally posted by Ian-S View Post
      Stupid "plan", I get the feeling September is still not telling them the whole truth, maybe the scientist the boy was/is supposed to change the mind of is a descendant of Walter.

Walter is obviously going to be the one to go now, and I hope Windmark finally get's his face burnt off.

BTW, was it just me or did the Observer Commander have an uncanny resemblance to Walter?
      It is an exceptionally stupid "Plan" considering that
      1) Humanity discovered the 'convert emotions to intelligence thing' around 2100 which started the path to the Observers evolving;
      2) the Plan hinges on the scientists of 2100 looking at "Observer Boy" and going "He's got emotions and is super awesome... lets not do this"
      3) the Observers have gone back to BEFORE 2100 and have taken over the world... therefore, 'humanity' discovering the 'convert emotions to intelligence thing' in 2100 is NOT going to happen... and even if it did, the Observers could manipulate things so that the scientists realising that 'observer boy has emotions and we don't have to sacrifice emotions for intelligence' doesn't happen...
      4) the Plan is therefore completely and utterly useless, and the whole season has been a waste of time. More importantly, the whole season has been a waste of the perfect opportunity to tell a GOOD story of a guerrilla campaign against a foreign enemy in a science-fiction setting... aka a wasted opportunity.

Also, regarding the trailer for next weeks 2 part season finale
      Spoiler:
      So they wait until the season finale to Inject Olivia with Cortexiphan, so that she can travel over to the other universe, and get the help of the alternate Olivia and Lincon Lee

I mean, if the writers were going to go there at all (the other universe AND Cortexiphan with Olivia) it should have been done in like Episode 3. I find that 'saving it' for the finale is rather insulting. There could have been so much good stuff happen if they did it a lot earlier... but they put that off so that we could have more 'treasure hunt of the week' stuff.
      Given the history of the characters, any smart person (which they all are, Astrid's meant to be one of the best and brightest in the FBI) would have realised that Olivia doped up on Cortexiphan is their BEST weapon against the Observers... But our beloved characters have been running around like complete idiots for the entire season.

I think that I may invest some time in penning out 2 fan-fiction plotlines that would show the true potential of Fringe, that the writers have obviously missed:
      a) an ACTUAL war of universe vs universe where the attacks are high-tech and take place similar to terrorism because of a limited ability to travel between universes (aka The Pattern)... where ZFT is an actual terrorist group on our side undertaking attacks against the other universe and not just a cool point that is mentioned 3 times... Massive Dynamic is the only "organised" group (that is not a terrorist organisation) on our side that is aware of the threat from the alternate universe and is doing something about defending us... and the FBI Fringe team is all playing catch-up and learning what is/has been going on; (AU after Season 1) and/or
      b) an actual guerrilla campaign undertaken by the Fringe Team against the Observers... keeping character continuity in check, and keeping them smart; AU after 4x19

Rant....postponed until this time next week once it is revealed that the Finale of Fringe is really good uber-awesome, or an epic failure
      Aussie86

Comment

There is also the fact that if the plan does work. Then Alternate Peter dies in the lake. Due to the fact that September is not there to save him

Comment

Glad I'm not the only one, if what I think happens, happens, this entire season has been just one big waste of potential, Aussie_86 sums the problems up far better than I could at 4.30am.

I'm starting to get rather annoyed at these writers only respecting the Grandfather paradox some of the time, and ignoring it others, I know it's not established scientific fact, but at least it's a link to reality you can understand/comprehend, when you ignore it, it takes away the believability and enjoyment of the program, especially when you've made such a big deal about it previously within the same story.

urgh, I'm starting to think the all major fantastic J.J. isn't so good at wrapping up stories properly...

Comment

Originally posted by JackO'Neill View Post
            There is also the fact that if the plan does work. Then Alternate Peter dies in the lake. Due to the fact that September is not there to save him
            No, he won't die in the lake. September interrupted Walternate from discovering the cure, which lead Walter (who was watching Walternate and saw the cure work, Walternate did not because he looked at September) crossing universes to save Peter.

So Peter will stay in the alternate universe and Etta will never be born, and so on.

I think the only show JJ wrapped up well was Alias. I liked the ending (except I would've preferred Irena to choose Sydney).

Comment

It looks like you all lost your hopes. Its Fringe after all and I am sure they have a great curveball coming. This is all just too out of place and naive to go to these lengths. Also if all it takes is getting that Kid to the Future. Then why the frak did September never do it? He brought him to our time and we have seen Windmark Timetravel with ease. So what gives? I know September got his device removed, but he could have done it any time before.
              Fuzzy Wuzzy wasnt old,
              Fuzzy Wuzzy gotten bald
              There was Fuzzy no more Wuzzy

Comment

Originally posted by Inquisitor View Post
                No, he won't die in the lake. September interrupted Walternate from discovering the cure, which lead Walter (who was watching Walternate and saw the cure work, Walternate did not because he looked at September) crossing universes to save Peter.

So Peter will stay in the alternate universe and Etta will never be born, and so on.

I think the only show JJ wrapped up well was Alias. I liked the ending (except I would've preferred Irena to choose Sydney).
                I think the problem is that JJ isn't too involved in many of the shows he starts. He does the first episode and gets the concept together, than hands it off to someone else.

I remember JJ & co saying "If you put it like a book, Season 1 was the prologue and we have a further 7 chapters planned out"... i think that book got chucked out the window a while ago.

Comment

I liked it, although I was right for the first time, with the reset button thing. I liked this episode and can not wait for the finale. Frak, it has been a strange and difficult way for Fringe wether it will be renewed or not but I am glad we got five seasons of mosty awesomenss, especialy season three, stuff.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by tomstone View Post
                    It looks like you all lost your hopes.
                    It's the sudden realisation that Fringe is ending, so yup, we've lost all hope

Comment

This episode was so amazing IMO. I was so happy I got to watch it a second time on Saturday, that time with my wife. We both can't wait to see how this all ends next week. It will be so bittersweet.
                      sigpic
                      MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                      "...phu...ah..."
                      "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                      Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

I have to wonder if the boy going with Windmark is part of the plan.

And I agree that Fringe seems to share Lost's problems. Abrams doesn't seem to have a grand plan that holds together just like Lost, and I fear Fringe may just end with a whimper and not a bang.

Comment

I don't know yet, why September looked Michael up. Why did September visit him? Was it because he learned his genetic material was used?

Then I see it as him feeling like a father and wanting to protect the boy. I'm not sure at what point September decided to rebel against the other Observers.

Maybe they came up with the plan after September became Donald and lost his powers...

Comment

Working...
                          X