This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A Theory about the Ancients Weapon

I'm a long-time fan of Stargate Sg1, but this is my first post. I was just rewatching Lost City pt2 and a thought came to me. I thought the yellow energy released against Anubis looked alot like cells, and with some much of the ancients technology requiring a biologic component what if the weapon O'Neill used was an extention of the enhanced immune system the ancients possessed? In other words what if the Ancients figured out to use their white blood cells as a weapon. Then they place themselves inside whatever it is that Jack is in until their immune system is back to full strength.

This would also mean that if the Ancients were hit with a virus that took up most of their immune systems time it would leave them vulnerable to a military attack. It would also mean that anyone attacking the ancients would not need to be equal to their level of technology they would only need the advantage of numbers and a willingness to suffer heavy causalties. Which would mean if the Wraith from Atlantis did dilerberatly infect the ancients with the plague that forced them to either ascend or die why they have not conquered this galaxy. As the Asguard have learned in battling the replicators technology is not always the answer.
    Last edited by reaper1864; 20 May 2004, 10:21 AM.

An interesting theory indeed........don't forget Spoiler Space though. Some people might get upset over that.
    "Someday, men will look back and say I gave birth to the twentieth century." - Jack the Ripper

Comment

Well written, but an improbable concept.
      You see as you have just stated white blood cells, are part of the immune system. So really it can not be used as a weapon, for there are more factors involved than a simple "Hmm, white corpusals, let's use them as a project". For starters they could not kill anything larger than a cell and if they were combined with any form of energy with any destuctive capabilities, that energy would destroy the corpusals anyway...
      I think.
      THERE ARE THINGS KNOWN...
      AND THINGS UNKNOWN...
      AND IN BETWEEN...LIES THE STARGATE

Comment

Spoilers, Lost City Pt. 2

A good thought. I did like the energy beam thingys but I have to admit I never thought that those would be the ultimate weapon. I actually thought they would be weapons! lol
        __

__

Comment

An interesting thought, but as someone pointed out earlier, I don't think that's feasable. I think that it's a bioweapon of some kind though.

Originally posted by Anubis
          Spoilers, Lost City Pt. 2

A good thought. I did like the energy beam thingys but I have to admit I never thought that those would be the ultimate weapon. I actually thought they would be weapons! lol
          I too was expecting something a little more grand. Perhaps those are only just some automatted defence system? We really don't know how far the Ancients advanced their military technology.
          Dark Helmet: So, Lone Starr, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.
          Dark Helmet: No, it's not what you think. It's much, much worse!

Col. Sandurz: Prepare for light speed.
          Dark Helmet: No, no, light speed is too slow.
          Col. Sandurz: Light speed too slow?
          Dark Helmet: Yes, we'll have to go right to...Ludicrous speed!
          Col. Sandurz:Ludicrous speed! Sir, we've never gone that fast before. I don't think the ship can take it.
          Dark Helmet: What's the matter, Colonel Sandurz...CHICKEN?!

Comment

I'm not necessarily saying they are 'white blood' cells exactly, but something similiar. In the episode 'Frozen' and 'Lost City' both Jack and the frozen ancient displayed an ability to heal people through physical contact. I do understand that the normal human immune system would be incapable of this ,but the hyped up immune system of the ancients could still be the basis for this weapon. After all 'white blood cells' are the bodies biological equalivalent to weapons because they attack and destroy diseases, is it too much a stretch to believe that if you can heal someone you can't use that same ability in the other direction and destroy? It would just be the continuation of a theme that we see in every piece of ancient technology from the show although taken a bit farther.

Comment

And that would be why operating the device had such an effect on Jack yes?
              "Someday, men will look back and say I gave birth to the twentieth century." - Jack the Ripper

Comment

Exactly, and why he wanted to be placed in the sleep chamber or whatever it is. If the devices is just another example of the Ancients using biology then turning their immune systems into a weapons against ships instead of disease would still have the same effect, or in other words drain them till they could recover. This is also why if they were hit by such a powerful bio weapon that forced them to spend most of the time fighting off the illness then it would mean they couldn't use their defense systems against a prolonged attack, and would make them progressively weaker till they could be conquered.

Which if the Wraith are the enemy that destroyed the ancients would work because from spoilers I've read they are supposed to have a hive system and the ability to produce large quantities quickly. This would give them the numbers to defeat the ancients because they couldn't use their technology very long without the virus defeating them anyway, and if Jack and the ancient from 'Frozen' are any indication then after using their abilities either in defense or for healing would make the ancients tired and unable to move which for a race that feeds on life force is like having your food lie down for you.

Which might explain humans. What if the ancients in a desperate attempt to find away to stop the Wraith created a less advance version of themselves that they could place in their defenses as cannon fodder to give them time to recharge.

Comment

In the episode 'Ascension' there was another Ancient weapon that was almost used, what info did we get on that?

Comment

We never learned anything about the weapon in Ascension only that it may have caused the planet to be in the state it was. Then the weapon was destroyed by Orlin
                    __

__

Comment

No, the ascended Ancients did that to the planet, not the weapon, though it was BECAUSE of the weapon.
                      Orlin gave them the weapon to defend against the Goa'uld, but then they started pointing it at other planets and demanding ransoms.
                      So, since it was the fault of an Ancient, the other Ancients banded together and wiped the civilisation from existence, presumably by causing a massive storm a la "Day After Tomorrow" times one hundred, also banishing Orlin in the process.
                      When the humans arrived, the Ancients destroyed the weapon to prevent a repeatal of history.
                      So, we didn't learn much, but we did learn this:
                      1) That weapon had a very long range, able to fire at least across a star system, possibly to other systems though that sounds less likely.
                      2) It's definatly an energy weapon, a charge was shown building up, there was no place for a projectile to be fired from.
                      3) Erm, that's it. The weapon wasn't really shown that much...

Comment

So a related concept: What if the Ancients simply found a way to power all - or at least most - of their technology from their own bio-energy. Clearly they also use external power, especially for the big stuff (Stargates, superweapons), but if they directed the tech by thought/emotion - as with the Goa'uld hand device - it would explain why Jack got tired from using the weapon.

It would also provide an explanation as to the Ancients' vulnerability to the plague. If they were at war they could be using so much of their strength to operate their weapons that their immune systems were weakened. The ability to tap into their machines in this way could have been genetic, hence a certain genetic marker is needed to access Ancient tech. The same ability might enable the Ancients to use their life energy to bolster another's, hence their healing ability.
                        Behold the majesty that is...GERALD!
                        - Read The Prophet's fan fiction at The Lost Vegas Public Library.

Comment

My personal theory is....
                          S
                          P
                          O
                          I
                          L
                          E
                          R

S
                          P
                          A
                          C
                          E

The weapon in LC2 was an energy weapon that operated as an extension of the user's will. As such, it looks like a living thing. We know from the Atlantis spoilers that Ancients tech requires a specific gene to be used, but I think this was a security thing to make sure other races couldn't use their technology not that it draws on the life energy of the user. The reason O'Niell was so wiped out from using it was that he was essentially dying from the Ancients download taking over his brain, and while I think it did take an effort to use I don't think it was taxing on him in any other way. Also, my theory on the Ancients healing ability is that they have extremely precise control over their body chemistry and can manipulate it to various effects including rapid healing. This may also be why the chick in Frozen was able to learn to understand english in a matter of a day or two, and since the disease she had attacked the brain it's possible that she may have been capable of much more. Between the disease and the fact that she had been frozen for a few million years, she was probably capable of alot more. I think that is also how they heal others. Through physical contact they basically connect to a person and can then control their body chemistry in a similar manner. This would explain how she made the one scientist fall asleep by touching him. I also think that the reason that some humans have the required gene is because the Ancients seeded earth with their own DNA when they realized that they were dying out so that their would be a lasting legacy of their existence. At the very least, that would explain why we look exactly like them, lol.

These are just my theories, so please keep any flames at a low temperature as I burn easily.
                          Last edited by BoBWraith; 26 May 2004, 11:16 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by BoBWraith
                            The reason O'Niell was so wiped out from using it was that he was essentially dying from the Ancients download taking over his brain, and while I think it did take an effort to use I don't think it was taxing on him in any other way.
                            Agreed. Operating the weapon must have been a very mentally taxing procedure....like taking a long test....
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Mio
                              Agreed. Operating the weapon must have been a very mentally taxing procedure....like taking a long test....
                              Maybe I should get one of those cryo thingies then for after my English tests?

Comment

Working...
                              X