Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Permanent crystal storage could be a reality in 2015!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Permanent crystal storage could be a reality in 2015!

So, looks like we won't have to wait until we meet the Centauri to get crystal storage.

Hitachi announces permanent quarz storage

Of course, to begin with at least drives capable of storing on such media will be few and far between.
    sigpic

Storage that doesn't degrade within a few years of actual use? While part of me wants the endless flying cars "predicted" by Back to the Future Part II, not having to back up my important stuff all the time would be a heck of a load off my mind, time and physical space. "Humans have a compulsion to keep records and lists and files – so many in fact that they have to invent new ways to store them microscopically. Otherwise their records would overrun all known civilization..." (DS9 quote, not B5, but sprang to mind )

Comment

Sounds good. But I must not be a normal human. I regularly clean out my computer HD. Guess I am not an electronic pack-rat.

Comment

lol awesome, i just hope that they make these crystals more aesthetically pleasing than the B5 ones. i loved what they could do but hated the way they looked.
        sigpic

Comment

Working...
        X