Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Possible proof that the Lanteans tried to dial the ninth chevron?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Possible proof that the Lanteans tried to dial the ninth chevron?

I am just sitting here watching 'Inferno', sga, and I suddenly had a thought.
    Why did the lanteans build a settlement on a volcano.
    As It had been a while since I watched this episode(before I got into sgu properly) I didn't see the relevance in building a site to harness the geo-thermal energy, it wasn't as if the planet in question was a significant lantean stronghold or that it was a project like Arcturus so why the need to do it?
    Surely not just to power a shield around an insignificant settlement.
    Then I remembered the way earth dialled the ninth chevron to the destiny (sgu), using a planet with large amounts of geo-thermal energy to reach the power requirements to make the connection.
    So I asked myself, and now you, Is it possible that this site was designed to dial the destiny way back then?
    Never Leave A Man Behind...or a Jaffa for that matter

I doubt it. There's no indications that the Lanteans even remembered that Destiny existed. Plus, if that was what that outpost was for, it probably would have been mentioned in the outpost's computer. Since this isn't the case, it seems more likely that they just built an outpost there like they do on a lot of the planets they settle on and then decided since the planet had so much geothermal energy, they might as well use that to power their outpost instead of wasting a ZPM.
    Meh...

Comment

You're reaching...again.
      sigpic

Comment

SGU hadn't been thought up back then, so... no.

Comment

Plus why would they have had a docking bay for an Aurora?

Comment

Originally posted by Gen. Chris View Post
            You're reaching...again.
            What's so wrong with reaching?
            Of course I know sgu wasn't conceived then but don't you like to tie things up and link stories together, even if it's REACHING.
            I like to think the whole sg franchise was thought of in advance and it all links somehow, (again, i know it wasn't) if you look and do so with an open mind, and a light spirit
            Tell me, honestly what's the harm?
            I see a storyline with little bits left out as on opportunity to use my imagination to try and link it together, if the base on the volcano had a specific reason for being that was stated then fine, but as it doesn't I feel I am within my rights as are you to have a bit of fun with it.

Comment

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
              Plus why would they have had a docking bay for an Aurora?
              ERM.. maybe to transfer the crew they were going to send to the destiny
              Ohh and the reason it isn't mentioned with regards to destiny was because the whole destiny project could have been somewhat clandestine, know to a select few.
              see this is fun!!! literally.

Comment

Yeah I've been back from offworld a few days and have read your threads and as far as I'm concerned you've got a great and inquisitive imagination. So, gold star for you.

Which, this actually makes me wonder- how did the Ancients actually plan on dialing Destiny in the first place? Was that ever mentioned in the show?
                They figured he was a lazy, time-wasting slacker. They were right.

Comment

Originally posted by The Dude View Post
                  Yeah I've been back from offworld a few days and have read your threads and as far as I'm concerned you've got a great and inquisitive imagination. So, gold star for you.

Which, this actually makes me wonder- how did the Ancients actually plan on dialing Destiny in the first place? Was that ever mentioned in the show?
                  Cheers and no I don't think it was ever mentioned that's why I took such creative licence with it
                  But you got to think that they had something planned.
                  In 'twin destinies' sgu, when the other rush is trying to convince people to stay rather than go home he goes to great lengths to stress something along the lines of how the ancients must have had a plan for destiny.
                  And it was fully liveable with life support, if it was never meant to be boarded then what was the point? I like to answer these wee questions myself as TPTB no longer can

Comment

Originally posted by The Dude View Post

I always assumed Destiny was one of their failed ventures. They sent ships off into the other side of the universe to explore I suppose was their goal, but never had time to do much with the reults ( or lack there of) in the Milky Way/Peagusus Galaxies.

Perhaps the fact they had issues dialling the Destiny (and other ships too, if I remember correctly, Destiny was thought to have sister ships all of which were sent out across thr universe to explore) without huge amounts of power energy, and possible disastersous results when they did attempt it, is why there was little info on now to dial Destiny and what would be there when the SGC decided to check it out.
                    Oh for a book and a shady nook ~ Jules' Book Reviews - my book review site.

Comment

Also I was just thinking, Was Destiny sent out before the alterans split from the ori, or was it a joint venture?
                      Because we know the two co-existed peacefully for some time, And I believe it was merlin in 'The quest part 2' that said "even the ori started out with the best of intentions".
                      That would be an interesting line of thought to follow

Comment

I like Sharky
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by sgelite View Post
                          Also I was just thinking, Was Destiny sent out before the alterans split from the ori, or was it a joint venture?
                          Because we know the two co-existed peacefully for some time, And I believe it was merlin in 'The quest part 2' that said "even the ori started out with the best of intentions".
                          That would be an interesting line of thought to follow
                          It had to be after the split because Destiny was sent out from Earth and the split happened in the Ori galaxy.
                          Meh...

Comment

Originally posted by Livestick View Post
                            It had to be after the split because Destiny was sent out from Earth and the split happened in the Ori galaxy.
                            AHH that's true,
                            cheers

Comment

I think it's quite clear that destiny was supposed to be a craft which supported life however I doubt it was supposed to be long term life. I reckon it was supposed to receive a maintenance crew every few thousand years who would dial in, grab the latest data, repair any defective parts of the ship and then dial back out again.

I reckon the stasis pods were put there in case of serious problems so they could be preserved until help could arrive to save them.

For all we know, destiny could have been how the ancients seeded new life in galaxies. Maybe it was how the ancients themselves moved to new galaxies permenantly. Maybe they simply used it to move small groups from one galaxy to another where they would start again. We know they left earth for pegasus and then came back but what about them sending out small ancient groups to create new settlements and spread their tech in far away galaxies? - Maybe destiny was just a gateway to those unchartered galaxies with their primitive gate systems that would then be upgraded.

Gotta be honest, I don't like that idea much but it would explain why destiny was able to support life at least. Of course there is still my previous theory.. that destiny was once a manned battleship that was recycled and sent off autonomously when it was retired from active service.

Comment

Working...
                              X