This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How frelling weird / Zhaan and candles

I thought I posted a new thread here the other day, but I can't see it...so it's either vanished, been removed, been posted in the wrong place, been shot through a wormhole, or was never actually posted in the first place...strange. If someone felt it wasn't right for this forum, they could have told me.

My message concerned Virginia Hey (aka Zhaan), who (as I recently discovered) makes her own perfumes and soaps, but used to make candles as well. Only thing is, she doesn't currently have the resources (space, money, equipment, etc) to make them, and has a campaign going on to try and raise the money to restart her candle-making and open a shop to sell the candles in.

The trouble is, I'm now worried that I won't be allowed to link to something asking for cash, even if it is a genuine plea for assistance from a member of the Farscape cast...but if you should find yourself on her official Facebook page, it's in the message 'pinned' to the top of the page.

The only connection I have to it all is that I met Virginia at a convention a few weeks ago, where I learned she makes perfumes, then said hello to her on Facebook and read about the whole candle thing. Just spreading the word, or passing on the torch to use a more thematically-linked image. I'm not trying to pressure anyone to contribute, and don't stand to gain anything from it personally apart from a warm glow-y feeling of having (hopefully) helped. This is just info, not an advert. Even so, if anyone has an objection to me sharing something of this nature here, please let me know rather than just deleting it, so I don't end up posting it again and getting a reputation for being a nuisance or anything.
    ~St*r: sort of like a cross between Aeryn and Vala, but shorter and probably wearing a tiara~

Your thread was pulled by a Moderator for review by the rest of the team and the Forum Manager, because we've had umpteen new members try to flood the place with pitches and links for all kinds of money-raisers/fundraisers and many other commercial materials very recently.

IF the Manager okays the topic,your original thread will be put back either here in the Farscape section ,or in Off-Topic Chatter,properly tagged so that Virginia's fans can decide for themselves if they want to contribute in any way.

Spammers bombard GW/GW Forum daily .Take a look at the Stats on the Forum Leader page if you want to see some of the data for yourself.

Please note I'm not calling you a spammer or troublemaker of any kind.

That said ,the rules are stated here and permission needs normally to be sought in advance where at all possible,even where it's clear that the actress herself is appealing to her fans on FB.

Originally posted by Forum FAQ
    Can I post about stuff for sale?
    If you are selling or auctioning something directly related to Stargate or science fiction, you may post about it. Your post must follow these simple rules:

The item MUST be of interest to our community -- Stargate or science fiction. Products or services that are not directly applicable to our forum will be treated as spam.
    You may post ONE copy of the ad and/or link. Do not cross-post to multiple threads or folders.
    Post it in either the "Stargate Merchandise," "General Sci-Fi and Fantasy," or "Off-Topic Chatter" folder -- whichever is most appropriate.
    Try participating in the forum a little. Advertisements posted by a new member with no other posts are more likely to be treated as spam -- even if the item is Stargate-related. We are first and foremost a community.

Posts that do not meet these guidelines will be deleted at the moderator's discretion. If you are deemed a spammer, your posting privileges may be suspended.

GateWorld is NOT responsible for any transactions that may be arranged through the forum. Use good judgment when buying or selling an item on the Internet. To help safeguard your transaction, use a third-party arbitrator such as eBay.
    The place to "Gate" to during Outages for updates and info:

Comment

You're not the only person to bring up Ms Hey's business enterprises. While I do respect her and her ingenuity, this really isn't the place for sales pitches. I totally get fans trying to help a favored actor. But I do have to consider the other members as well.

You've posted to her facebook page, in which I'm presuming she shares knowledge of her candle making and perfume making. That's good enough. Feel free to spread the word far and wide....on your own internet space. tweet, facebook, have a blast. But here, let's confine it to a link to Virginia's facebook page and where people go from there is their business.

(this post is the official decision by the forum manager by the way)
      Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Can I just start by saying that I'm not angry or trying to cause an argument, just curious. Sometimes it can be hard to gauge someone's online 'tone of voice'...I don't want anyone to (mis)read any aggression or sarcasm into this reply.

Thanks for the clear and detailed explanations, but why wasn't this pointed out with my original post?

If someone had informed me that my "Help Zhaan" thread was unsuitable rather than just snatching it away, I would have known not to post a second one and hence might have saved everyone a little time by not having to deal with it twice. Regrettably I can't actually remember whether I've read the forum FAQ, but if I have it would have been months ago when I joined, and unfortunately my memory's not that photographic, especially when it comes to rules for types of messages that I don't generally tend to post.

However, I do understand that it must get a bit tedious trying to quote rules that people ought to already know every time someone's forum etiquette slips a little, and realise that nobody has the time or infinite patience to sit around being a 'guardian angel' moderator presiding over everyone's every move, constantly poised to prod any errants back on track with a metaphorical fairywand, so forgive me if I sound a bit "spoilt princess" in asking for a specific 'heads-up' when I've stumbled out of line. I appreciate being given the facts so I can understand where I've messed up, but would have preferred (if at all possible) to be told why my first post vanished so I could avoid repeating that error.

I promise there won't be a third thread here from me on this topic, and apologise if anyone misunderstood the intentions behind my previous ones and felt it was sales/marketing being rammed down their throat (or into their eyes perhaps). I definitely didn't want to upset or offend anyone, just to mention an interesting creative endeavour in what seemed like a relevant place.

My next message here will actually be about Farscape, honest!
        ~St*r: sort of like a cross between Aeryn and Vala, but shorter and probably wearing a tiara~

Comment

Because a lot of times we simply pull threads until the other mods can weigh in. And we're on all ends of the time zones....in fact the only times Baggie and I can talk to each other in real time is early in my AM or if she stays up to the wee hours.

We don't explain our actions to everyone, largely because there simply isn't time. If we have a question about a thread, we pull it, discuss it politely behind closed internet doors, and then decide what to do with it. We tend to discourage public modding.

Any more questions, give us a PM and we'll discuss it.
          Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Working...
          X