Special Edition Changes thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Special Edition Changes thread

I'm not rly sure if such a thread exists already(not bothering to look through old threads-list.)
    But this here is basically to discuss all the changes done to the Star Wars original(and prequel) trilogy.

Personally, most of these changes didn't really bother me that much until I discovered all the differences, I grew up with the 1997 version

Now, the main thing that bothers me is Darth Vader's "No" at the end of ROTJ(the second no sounds completely goofy).

Not very happy with Hayden in ROTJ too(Insulting Shaw in the process).

And of course... HAN SHOT FIRST(did he?)
    "I have never understood why it should be necessary to become irrational in order to prove that you care... or why it should be necessary to prove it at all."

Im more worried about what the future holds for starwars now Disney own the franchise.Possibly good thing,most likely bad.Time will tell i guess.Cheers
    O'Neill: So, what's your impression of Alar?
    Teal'c: That he is concealing something.
    O'Neill: Like what?
    Teal'c: I am unsure. He is concealing it.

Comment

The newer original trilogy is currently being shown ITV every Saturday and ROTJ is being shown tomorrow.
      Going to record it as Ive never seen the newer updated versions in full, but I do agree about Han shooting first, that scene just looked disjointed!
      Need to watch TESB first though...

Comment

ROTJ
        *Emperor electrocutes.*
        Vader: No. NOOOOOOO!!!
        *throws Emperor*

Can't wait for you to see it.
        "I have never understood why it should be necessary to become irrational in order to prove that you care... or why it should be necessary to prove it at all."

Comment

Originally posted by rushy View Post
          ROTJ
          *Emperor electrocutes.*
          Vader: No. NOOOOOOO!!!
          *throws Emperor*

Can't wait for you to see it.
          I've seen the scene, but I haven't sat down and watched the Blu-Ray version of the films (that includes these scenes). I'm waiting to be surprised while watching it in 3D so I can scream and boo at the screen.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by rushy View Post
            And of course... HAN SHOT FIRST(did he?)
            Common error right there.

Han didn't shoot first. Han was the only one who shot.

Relevant to thread: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/List_...rs_re-releases

I care for very few of the alterations to the OT. Adding more fighters to the Battle of Yavin in SW is okay by me, as are little touches like fixing visual glitches and the like.

100% unacceptable changes:
            • SW: all the futzing around they've done with Kenobi's Krayt Dragon scream to scare off the Sand People
            • SW: putting a rock in front of R2 in that same scene
            • SW: all the CGI visual pollution added to Mos Eisley. That place should be a dusty rough little place, not somewhere bustling with stupid slapstick droids
            • SW: failing to fix the colouring of Luke's lightsaber (in repeated re-releases)
            • SW: Han shot only
            • SW: the entire stupid CGI Jabba scene
            • SW: the Praxis shockwaves added to the destruction of Alderaan and the Death Star
            • ESB: the re-done Emperor hologram, as well as the complete buggering up of that whole dialogue
            • ESB: changing the Slave I engine SFX to match the prequel (instead of, you know, THE OTHER WAY AROUND)
            • ESB: dubbing over Boba Fett's lines with the knob who was Jango Fett in the prequels
            • ESB: Luke screaming as he jumps from the platform on Bespin (I think this was re-removed in later SEs)
            • ROTJ: the dumb musical CGI wankfest at Jabba's palace that replaced the original subdued puppet number
            • ROTJ: giving the Sarlacc a beak
            • ROTJ: utterly failing to fix Luke's/Vader's lightsaber colours (in repeated re-releases)
            • ROTJ: "Noooooooooooooo"
            • ROTJ: giving the Death Star destruction a Praxis shockwave
            • ROTJ: changing the original "Yub Nub" victory celebration song on Endor to some new composition that does not fit the timing of the scene at all
            • ROTJ: adding in all the galaxy-wide celebration sequences -- REALLY? The Rebels win a victory at a secret Imperial military outpost, and everyone in the galaxy (including backwater Tatooine!) finds out on the very same night?! Plus, Jar Jar
            • ROTJ: adding Hayden Christensen (stupid, stupid, stupid)

Needless to say, I did not buy the OT on Blu. I really want to see them in high-def, but not at the expense of George Lucas butchering my childhood again.

I did buy the PT on Blu though. Frankly, those movies need as much improvement as they can get, so alterations there are not a bother.
            "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

the first ever copy of the OT i saw was the 1997 special edition so the music at the the end of ROTJ was the only ending i ever saw but in the 2004 edition it would makes sense that Boba fett would sound like Jango fett considering that we find out in AOTC that boba is nothing more than unaltered copy to be the "Son" of Jango.

The Beak from ROTJ does look a little goofy.

Most of the Lightsaber Vfx need to be re-done in all of them.
              Last edited by Lt.Colonel John Sheppard; 09 November 2012, 11:06 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Lt.Colonel John Sheppard View Post
                it would makes sense that Boba fett would sound like Jango fett considering that we find out in AOTC that boba is nothing more than unaltered copy to be the "Son" of Jango.
                Not remotely. With many of the clones it makes sense, they were raised from infancy to adulthood in a closed environment with only each other and their trainers to learn speech from.

Boba Fett lived with his dad till he was 10 and still a child. Then he was on his own, growing through puberty and adolescence alone, learning speech patterns and intonations with no influence from his father. Add to that that his line of work lends itself to a great deal of injury, and there is simply zero reason for them to sound identical.

But hell, even if you concede that that's the way things should be--you make your new movies match the original ones, not the other way around.
                "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Special Edition change. Well I liked most of them. For ESB and ROTJ, special editions they're the only ones i've seen.

Find it hard to get emotional about post of the DVD changes as well, save for Luke's lightsabre being the wrong colour and Hayden Christen's ghost. Not only does it not make sense, they used a shot where he looks creepy as heck.
                  sigpic
                  Banner By JME2

Comment

*Actually, I know Han shot only(Han Shot First is actually the SE version lol), I made a mistake writing it and I didn't bother to edit.
                    *It wasn't Jar Jar in ROTJ, it was a random Gungan.
                    *HAYDEN'S CREEPY GHOST(He's there to haunt the good guys, I swear).
                    *The Jabba scene(it was deleted for good reason and even the 2004 Jabba looks wrong colored. Alas, I grew up with the 1997 version and even then I thought that Jabba looks ridiculously bad(how that got approved is beyond my comprehension)
                    *The rock in front of R2(how on earth did the droid even get in there?)
                    *Yub nub(far more catchier than the other music)
                    *Dubbing Boba(haven't even heard the original voice )
                    *Luke screaming the Emperor scream(just stupid)
                    *CGI Jabba song(The red-haired dancer's great to watch, but the rest is crap)
                    *Sarlacc beak(original looks cooler, this looks pointless)

Comment

Im going to watch TESB and ROTJ tonight as theyre now on my box, really looking forward to seeing what versions they are...

Comment

Working...
                      X