Were the Asurans really a rip-off?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Were the Asurans really a rip-off?

It seems to me the Asurans were poorly received, coming off as an SG-1 villain taking screen time from the Wraith. They didn't come off to this way to me at all. They didn't act like SG-1 replicators, they were focused on emulating the Ancients, not replication. If anything, I'd say the Asurans were written out of the show way too quickly. They're introduced in the third season, then offed next season. Hey, at least we got to see them defeated where as the show ended with the Wraith at large.

In my opinion, the Replicators shouldn't have been so prominent in SGA, they were boring here while in SG-1, they were somewhat like the Borg, an enemy who only focuses on going forward and assimilating as much as possible in the way.

I was actually glad to see them go.
    "I have never understood why it should be necessary to become irrational in order to prove that you care... or why it should be necessary to prove it at all."

Comment

Were they so prominent? They only appeared in five episodes of the third season, four in the fourth season, and once in the final season. I'd hardly call 10 of 100 episodes prominent. As for boring, I'll agree with you here. This is because the writers completely failed to develop any Asurans beyond Oberth, Niam, and the small group of survivors from "Ghost in the Machine."

Comment

The writers should have the Asurans defeated for some reason by the Wratih in a flashback scene and then have the Wraith take the knwoledge of the Asurans so they could use it to defeat the Atlantis expedition. This would fail, it would make the Wraith even a bigger threat, plus they could have an easier task of bringing Elizabeth Wier back, instead of postopning it to a season which never happened in the end. Also, SGA could have been finished easily with just 5 seasons that way.

Comment

Wow. This exactly the same as your comments in your other replicator thread.

No the Asurans do not have the same goal or origins as the replicators. But its easy to see why they are considered a rip-off of the replicators. It's something to do with the way everyone in universe keeps using the term replicator to describe them and constantly use anti-replicator technology on them.

It's hard to ignore a connection when the show itself keeps hammering it home.
          sigpic
          Banner By JME2

Comment

Agree.

They were rip of sg-1. A fill in and far too easily defeated.

However they did provide excuse for some nice space battle scenes. And an excuse to tie Atlantis closer to wraith as [we worked together]

Prill

Comment

Originally posted by Snowman37 View Post
              It seems to me the Asurans were poorly received, coming off as an SG-1 villain taking screen time from the Wraith. They didn't come off to this way to me at all. They didn't act like SG-1 replicators, they were focused on emulating the Ancients, not replication. If anything, I'd say the Asurans were written out of the show way too quickly. They're introduced in the third season, then offed next season. Hey, at least we got to see them defeated where as the show ended with the Wraith at large.
              Yeah I pretty much agree; they were different enough and had a backstory unique enough to make them their own kind of enemy. The "ending" was handled kind of hastily and kind of poorly, to my notion. It seems like they just wanted to close the proverbial book and did it as quickly as possible. Kind of like Ark of Truth where they just recycled Threads. There was a lot of potential in those Asurans; just never used.
              They figured he was a lazy, time-wasting slacker. They were right.

Comment

I think they were written out so quickly, because they were poorly received by GateWorld forums. Unfortunately, this is hardly representative of the audience at large. Alternatively, perhaps the writers felt they took too much screen time away from the Wraith? Then again, they were only front and center in ten episodes spread across three seasons.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowman37 View Post
                  I think they were written out so quickly, because they were poorly received by GateWorld forums. Unfortunately, this is hardly representative of the audience at large. Alternatively, perhaps the writers felt they took too much screen time away from the Wraith? Then again, they were only front and center in ten episodes spread across three seasons.
                  Or maybe, just maybe, they didn't cut it as an S.G bad guy!!!
                  I have stated before in a similar thread that one of my fav. atlantis episodes is 'Be all my sins remembered' And that was an Asuran episode(of sorts) but I also feel that the Asurans failed because they were referred to as replicators therfore we expected them to act like replicators.
                  I have also stated before that the idea of the Asurans was sheer brilliance, however it was taken in the wrong direction and ultimately failed, not the concept, the execution.
                  Never Leave A Man Behind...or a Jaffa for that matter

Comment

Originally posted by rushy View Post
                    In my opinion, the Replicators shouldn't have been so prominent in SGA, they were boring here while in SG-1, they were somewhat like the Borg, an enemy who only focuses on going forward and assimilating as much as possible in the way.

I was actually glad to see them go.
                    I agree and have said before they reminded me in ways of the Borg but i liked the fact they had an indiscriminate insatiable appetite for all resources,thats a formidable enemy.They were NEVER boring in SG1,no way.Over used in Ark Of Truth perhaps but as for SGA im just starting to discover them.I know i will like the idea of replicators advanced to the stage of hoping they can ascend.It shows their progress yet ultimately their absolute naivety when having to deal with non mecchano emotios. I look forward to my SGA season 3 as im almost done my sg1 rewatch and ready for a frist proper SGA watch.Cheers
                    O'Neill: So, what's your impression of Alar?
                    Teal'c: That he is concealing something.
                    O'Neill: Like what?
                    Teal'c: I am unsure. He is concealing it.

Comment

Originally posted by sgelite View Post
                      Or maybe, just maybe, they didn't cut it as an S.G bad guy!!!
                      Perhaps, but who ultimately decided this? Why did the producers/writers decide to abandon them as villains so quickly?

I have stated before in a similar thread that one of my fav. atlantis episodes is 'Be all my sins remembered' And that was an Asuran episode(of sorts) but I also feel that the Asurans failed because they were referred to as replicators therfore we expected them to act like replicators.
                      Agreed, however I think my favorite Asuran episode is "Lifeline," because of Weir's sacrifice. Seeing a main character sacrifice themselves like that was a rarity in the franchise. I wish the Asurans would have been treated differently from the human-form replicators in the same way that the Tok'ra were different from the Goa'uld.

I have also stated before that the idea of the Asurans was sheer brilliance, however it was taken in the wrong direction and ultimately failed, not the concept, the execution.
                      Agreed.

Originally posted by rushy View Post
                      Eh? This never happened on Atlantis. Yes, the replicators on SG-1 wanted to consume all materials to replicate more of themselves. However, this was simply did not apply to the Asurans on Atlantis. They weren't replicators, they didn't seek to replicate, they sought out to emulate the Lanteans.

Comment

No
                        Originally posted by aretood2
                        Jelgate is right

Comment

Were the PegReps a copy of the MilkReps (yes I know they didn't come from out galaxy so zip it). At least not at first. Once the MilkReps went Human form there wasn't a lot of diff.

The Peg Reps weren't a very creative concept it what was their prob.
                          I like Sharky
                          sigpic

Comment

Actually, in "Q Who", the Borg are trying to assimilate technology, rather than people.
                            "I have never understood why it should be necessary to become irrational in order to prove that you care... or why it should be necessary to prove it at all."

Comment

We're talking about the Borg overall, not "Q Who" in particular.

Comment

Working...
                              X