Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

welcome to the pegasus galaxy, normal rules do not apply.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

welcome to the pegasus galaxy, normal rules do not apply.

I loved sga, and one if the things I loved about it was that they didn't have the same rules and constraints to adhere to with regards to prisoner treatment and medical testing, for example I remember in serpents song from sg1 when we had apophis and tealc and oneill wanted to work him over for info but hammond refused to their methods saying, he's effectively a prisoner of war, and as such is afforded certain right's.....then jump to sga, where we not only take prisoners but routinely ran medical experiments on them, hell we even messed with their DNA ( Michael). My point being we got results when we didn't have to worry about small things like should we or shouldn't we, we just done it. You can tell from teylas reaction in the siege, part one I think it was, when she and sheppard are in a cloaked jumper during a culling and teyla, angry at sheppards apparant unwillingness to save people,says " I fear I expected to much ". If memory served ford was also willing to take a near depleted zpm from that planet of under 25's to bolster Atlantis defences while leaving The kids without protection. Fair enough they never done it but I think that was purely because it was nearly depleted, otherwise that zpm would have been ours..LOL. what do you think?
    Never Leave A Man Behind...or a Jaffa for that matter

If the ZPM wasn't depleted, I don't think the expedition would have stolen it. However, I do believe they would have tried to encourage the inhabitants to give the expedition the ZPM. In return, they could have offered them shelter by coming to Atlantis. The only reason why it didn't work out for the Athosians is because Sergeant Bates was "everyone's a spy" happy.

Comment

One things for sure,the Geneva Convention didnt apply in the Pegasus Galaxy lol. I need to rewatch some SGA as i cant recall right now but there were a ton of funny moments where i thought,"they would never have got away with this back at SGC lol. I'll try think of some examples but there are plenty.Cheers
      O'Neill: So, what's your impression of Alar?
      Teal'c: That he is concealing something.
      O'Neill: Like what?
      Teal'c: I am unsure. He is concealing it.

Comment

Its quite Ironic that Atlantis was under civilian rule most of the time as they didnt want the millitary in charge yet as you have pointed out the millitary in charge of SG were actually more Moral and played by the rules more than the civilian charge at Atlantis lol

Comment

Originally posted by initial View Post
          Its quite Ironic that Atlantis was under civilian rule most of the time as they didnt want the millitary in charge yet as you have pointed out the millitary in charge of SG were actually more Moral and played by the rules more than the civilian charge at Atlantis lol
          While I don't disagree with your summary I do wonder why you find this surprising....why is being a civilian leader more likely to mean the individual is moral than a military one?

Comment

Originally posted by Arica15 View Post
            While I don't disagree with your summary I do wonder why you find this surprising....why is being a civilian leader more likely to mean the individual is moral than a military one?
            Hi Arica, think you may have misunderstood my point. Id actually does not surprise me at all that the military treated pow's in stargate better than the civilians did. After all there is a feeling in the military (well most of it) and always has been that you treat pow's how you want your pow's treated.

Civilians dont know this unwriten code as they would not have been in that situation so do not have that "moral objection"

The p[oint I was actually making is that its ironic that people wanted civilians in charge of the SG projects as military couldnt be trusted when in fact you could argue that the military behaved better and promoted earth in a better light than the civilians did!

Comment

Hi Arica, think you may have misunderstood my point. Id actually does not surprise me at all that the military treated pow's in stargate better than the civilians did. After all there is a feeling in the military (well most of it) and always has been that you treat pow's how you want your pow's treated.

Civilians dont know this unwriten code as they would not have been in that situation so do not have that "moral objection"

The p[oint I was actually making is that its ironic that people wanted civilians in charge of the SG projects as military couldnt be trusted when in fact you could argue that the military behaved better and promoted earth in a better light than the civilians did!
              I am not sure the entire military or just the specific Leaders of the SGC over the years. Military is made of humans and they will follow their leaders expectations usually. There are plenty of examples where the military tried some shady things in SG.

On Atlantis part of the show was supposed to be that they were desperate and stranded so they had to bend the rules at times. This was somewhat sabotaged when they were no longer stranded, but the civilian oversite did okay some very unmoral standards. What really catches me when I think about it more, is the people that seemed the friendliest and least threatening like our friendly Dr.'s were conducting war crimes.

Comment

As for the differnt "interogation" techniques between the Ghoul's and the Wraith. With the goa'uld there could be the consideration for the innocent host being envolved with it. With the Wraith they were just being big meanies to the poor space vampires.
                I like Sharky
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by The Flyattractor View Post
                  As for the differnt "interogation" techniques between the Ghoul's and the Wraith. With the goa'uld there could be the consideration for the innocent host being envolved with it. With the Wraith they were just being big meanies to the poor space vampires.
                  Way back in S1 Lt Ford brought up that they were going to far. I think it was in one of the last episodes of the season where Maj Sheppard kills "Bob" the wraith who was an unarmed prisoner, before the reinforcements arrive.

Comment

Yeah, but their concern wasn't that they couldn't be trusted to maintain a certain moral standard when dealing with alien cultures. It was that they couldn't be trusted to have sole control over alien technology that could be used against them. And it wasn't the military in general that upset them, it was the U.S. military - I don't doubt for a second that every country in the IOA would've been all too happy to have one of their military leaders in charge, but nobody would've gone for that. So in order to limit the power the U.S. military had, and maintain a balance of power between the other countries involved, they opted for a civilian leader (until their fear got the best of them).
                    Last edited by Xaeden; 05 December 2012, 05:20 AM.

Comment

I think they didn't consider morality with the Wraith on the principle that they in fact were not human to begin with. To them they were just conscious animals. By the way the Wraith have absulutely no moral problem to keep other beings, mostly humans as a source of food. How would you feel about morality to an alien if you knew you are only food for them? As for other rules me myself too feel that they eased up a notch compared to SG-1's "strictness".
                      sigpicHallowed are the Ori.

Comment

The SG1 team would have been just as genocidal with the Gou'auld if they could have gotten them out of the hosts with out hurting them.

THEY ARE JUST THAT MEAN!
                        I like Sharky
                        sigpic

Comment

Except those snakes would have a hard time revealing their plans to us without being in the hosts body. Maybe a Babel fish from THGTTG could have helped understand their veilings outside the hosts body.
                          sigpicHallowed are the Ori.

Comment

By the end of the show The Wraith were pretty much "humans" weren't they? And if they could get the Ghouls out of the hosts it wouldn't what their plans would be cuase then they would just be slimey little snakes that Jack could stomp on.
                            I like Sharky
                            sigpic

Comment

So what's the difference between sentient slimy little snakes and sentient human shaped bugs? Our guys wanted to kill them both.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X