Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is that makes the Sam/Jack pairing such an incredibly compelling couple?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is that makes the Sam/Jack pairing such an incredibly compelling couple?

I can't help but feel that their pairing is more powerful than say, Ross/Racheal from Friends.

I believe strongly that there is something immensely powerful about their relationship and potential relationship. At the moment I am writing a fantasy novel with two gay leads who I can't help but wish could have that same intensity... but I don't even know how the SG1 writers managed to pull it off!
    With Superb-Caliber-Frag-Statistics-Explosions-Are-Delicious!!

More is hinted at than shown, and the fact that they care for each other is shown in their actions rather than in words. We also got tantalizing hints of a possible relationship from other realities through the quantum mirror.
    sigpic

Comment

I think it's that you can see why they're good for each other. Too often in writing romance the author says, "Ok, here's this hot guy and here's this hot girl. They get together." But they don't demonstrate what it is, individually and uniquely, that make these two people perfect for each other. That's the key. They need to show the things about each person, weaknesses as well as strengths, that are complimentary.

And that's what the writers do with Jack and Sam. He's not every woman's dream man. In fact, as his girlfriend Kerry says in Threads when she breaks up with him, Jack has issues. He's not everybody's taste. And Sam isn't perfect either. She's kind of hard to live with. But they work together. They can live with each others' issues and celebrate each others' strengths.

I think that's the key to a successful romantic pairing, whether on screen or in a book! (And I say this as someone who has sold a fantasy novel with a gay male pairing at the center of it.)
      sigpicsig by Isolde

Comment

Each to their own, I found it dull as ditch water and contrived to the extreme.

Now, Zoe and Wash, that's a iconoclastic but complex and nuanced relationship in an SF show, in a mere 13 episodes.
        Or Kira and Odo. Or Sisko and Cassidy.

FF
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Twilord View Post
          I can't help but feel that their pairing is more powerful than say, Ross/Racheal from Friends.

I believe strongly that there is something immensely powerful about their relationship and potential relationship. At the moment I am writing a fantasy novel with two gay leads who I can't help but wish could have that same intensity... but I don't even know how the SG1 writers managed to pull it off!
          i agree!

i think a big part of it is the actors playing the characters. sam and jack separately are strong characters, not just a half of a couple. but i feel *so* much of that is b/c of amanda and richard.

but bring them together... it also helps that, to me, they have a sizzling sexual chemistry together.

it really is all tastes, but whatever makes up a so-called hot couple, i feel the sam/jack pairing has it in spades!
          sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal View Post
            i agree!

i think a big part of it is the actors playing the characters. sam and jack separately are strong characters, not just a half of a couple. but i feel *so* much of that is b/c of amanda and richard.

but bring them together... it also helps that, to me, they have a sizzling sexual chemistry together.

it really is all tastes, but whatever makes up a so-called hot couple, i feel the sam/jack pairing has it in spades!
            I agree. Amanda and RDA could tell you so much with just their looks to each other as Sam and Jack.
            sigpic

Comment

I think the fact that it is forbidden makes it compelling too, any other scenario they would have been together but that angst and tension makes for great shipping.

Also as others have said I think it is down to RDA and AT and the way they played those characters, made for sizzling chemistry pretty much from the start of the show.

Overall Sam and jack care for each other and that is shown very much, they respect each other, and they have a deep bond and are able to communicate with just a look, again I think that is down to Rik and Amanda, if you look at pics from the recent jules Verne awards they still have that chemistry and are doing those looks.

I also agree too that it is not the most obvious pairing but it works so well
              sigpic
              Thanks to the wonderful Meredithe5 for the awesome sig

Comment

Originally posted by Artie View Post
                I think it's that you can see why they're good for each other. Too often in writing romance the author says, "Ok, here's this hot guy and here's this hot girl. They get together." But they don't demonstrate what it is, individually and uniquely, that make these two people perfect for each other. That's the key. They need to show the things about each person, weaknesses as well as strengths, that are complimentary.

And that's what the writers do with Jack and Sam. He's not every woman's dream man. In fact, as his girlfriend Kerry says in Threads when she breaks up with him, Jack has issues. He's not everybody's taste. And Sam isn't perfect either. She's kind of hard to live with. But they work together. They can live with each others' issues and celebrate each others' strengths.

I think that's the key to a successful romantic pairing, whether on screen or in a book! (And I say this as someone who has sold a fantasy novel with a gay male pairing at the center of it.)
                I think the issues Kerry was talking about that jack had was his love for Sam
                sigpic
                Thanks to the wonderful Meredithe5 for the awesome sig

Comment

Originally posted by Frostfox View Post
                  Each to their own, I found it dull as ditch water and contrived to the extreme.

Now, Zoe and Wash, that's a iconoclastic but complex and nuanced relationship in an SF show, in a mere 13 episodes.
                  Or Kira and Odo. Or Sisko and Cassidy.

FF
                  Well, I as much as I prefer Dan/Jack fan-works Sam's/Jack's relationship is simply amazing to me...

Your banner turns me on though!
                  With Superb-Caliber-Frag-Statistics-Explosions-Are-Delicious!!

Comment

Actually, I would like to know why so many people like the Sam/Jack pairing, because it's a complete mystery to me. I don't mean to hit on the pairing or those who like it - not at all. I am all for people shipping whomever.

I just don't understand the Sam/Jack pairing, because to me there is nothing there - no chemistry, no interest, no anything. I see more chemistry between a very large amount of other people in that show - also with Sam or with Jack, but not with the two of them together. So, I'm confounded
                    sigpic

[Save Martouf/Lantash in the movies!] | My fics on Fanfiction.net | My fics on Symbiotica

Comment

Originally posted by Hathor_girl View Post
                      Actually, I would like to know why so many people like the Sam/Jack pairing, because it's a complete mystery to me. I don't mean to hit on the pairing or those who like it - not at all. I am all for people shipping whomever.

I just don't understand the Sam/Jack pairing, because to me there is nothing there - no chemistry, no interest, no anything. I see more chemistry between a very large amount of other people in that show - also with Sam or with Jack, but not with the two of them together. So, I'm confounded
                      it's like with anything: personal tastes.

there's some tv/movie couples i'm totally bored with (there's some movies/shows/music i'm totally bored with!), but there's enough ppl that dig them that they become popular.
                      sally

sigpic

Comment

Maybe this will give you some insights into what others find so compelling about Sam and Jack.

The shippy holidays have just begun . . . .

By Nynaeve506

Please share these invites with your friends
                        and use the sigs and avis to let everyone know how they can
                        join us for some great Sam/Jack holiday fun!!!!!

Join us for Shipmas 2012!!!

Comment

Originally posted by hlndncr View Post
                          Maybe this will give you some insights into what others find so compelling about Sam and Jack.
                          Personally, it would have the opposite effect on me - if there's a pairing I 'don't get', then I will likely start hating it instead of being indifferent to it, if I get too much exposure to it.
                          sigpic
                          Smilies made by Roeskva (http://www.tokra.dk/smilies.html)

"Hear this. The days of the Goa'uld System Lords are numbered. Tell them that I died with hope. My death only feeds the fire that burns strong in the Tok'ra." (Jolinar, "In the Line of Duty")

Comment

Originally posted by Skadi View Post
                            Personally, it would have the opposite effect on me - if there's a pairing I 'don't get', then I will likely start hating it instead of being indifferent to it, if I get too much exposure to it.
                            I don't think hlndncr meant the exposure but rather the arts and vids that would be posted, as they are made from moments/scenes in the show and thus could maybe explain why people find it a compelling couple.
                            Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
                            Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
                            On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

Originally posted by fems View Post
                              I don't think hlndncr meant the exposure but rather the arts and vids that would be posted, as they are made from moments/scenes in the show and thus could maybe explain why people find it a compelling couple.
                              Ah, I see what you mean. That does make sense.
                              sigpic
                              Smilies made by Roeskva (http://www.tokra.dk/smilies.html)

"Hear this. The days of the Goa'uld System Lords are numbered. Tell them that I died with hope. My death only feeds the fire that burns strong in the Tok'ra." (Jolinar, "In the Line of Duty")

Comment

Working...
                              X