Time Travel in TV Shows

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Time Travel in TV Shows

One of my favorite types of science-fiction stories revolve around time travel. My question to you all... what TV shows do you think handled time travel the best? This can range anywhere from a series centered around time-travel or a show that only did a few episodes around time travel. Whether it's a whole series or a few episodes, what stands out as the best?

Star Trek: I always liked it when Star Trek (any series) dealt with time travel, but I think the best episodes came from Voyager and Enterprise. Most notable is the Temporal Cold War despite being left mostly unresolved. I actually like that there's nothing but unanswered questions. Archer and crew weren't fighting a time war, they just got unwillingly involved from time to time. Really, "Storm Front" was the only frustrating episodes in the TCW storyline. Would it have killed them to write "Future Guy" into these two episodes?

Stargate: Was there an SG-1 time-related episode that people didn't like? I loved how the show touched upon both time travel and dilation.

Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles: This one takes the cake despite ending on a cliffhanger. There were time travelers all over the place!

Quantum Leap.
    Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master.

Comment

What about it? I never watched.

Comment

It handled time-travel well. The whole series was one big time-travelling adventure. You should give it a try. Looks a little dated now but still fun.
        Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowman37 View Post
          What about it? I never watched.
          http://lmgtfy.com/?q=quantum+leap

What else....
          • Babylon 5 did some excellent time travelly business with Babylon 4...
          • Continuum is an awesome show that hinges on time travel
          • Doctor Who...does not require explanation.
          • Eureka did a great job with it come the fourth season (even if it got a little tired after a while)
          • Farscape used TT for comedic effect in an episode right after another (amazing) episode that concerned itself with all the various possibilities of reality.
          • Fringe uses TT quite creatively, first as a self-fulfilling prophecy and later as a central plot element.
          • the Red Dwarf episode Future Echoes, while not STRICTLY time travel, is related and very very funny.
          • Star Trek should be a given, and has done so many so well that I don't think I'll take the time to list them here.
          • Terra Nova had a terrific premise, even though they failed pretty hard to follow through.
          • The X-Files episode Triangle was pretty phenomenal
          "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Seven Days was pretty good too.
            sigpic

Click here daily to give free mammograms

It is better to be crazy for Jesus than a wise man for Satan. Laters, Misi

Comment

There's also Journeyman, that wasn't mentioned here, but I never saw that, although I hear it's good.

One show that might be time travel, or just might not be, is The 4400... I liked the show, but it doesn't really focus on time travel in the classic sense.

LOST hasn't been mentioned here either, and I think it definitely includes time travel.
              A black hole swallowed this sig pic.

Comment

Originally posted by Jper View Post
                One show that might be time travel, or just might not be, is The 4400... I liked the show, but it doesn't really focus on time travel in the classic sense.
                Good, good call. I forgot all about The 4400.
                "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by Jper View Post
                  There's also Journeyman, that wasn't mentioned here, but I never saw that, although I hear it's good.

<snip>
                  I really enjoyed Journeyman.

I love Primeval... and Early Edition was pretty good and Tru Calling was fun while it lasted.
                  sigpic

Comment

I definitely like the way Babylon 5 handled time travel.
                    sigpic

Comment

Time travel is brilliant in Primeval, it's "Where is Claudia?" first series' finale was really cool. And Sanctuary's "Tempus" has to be mentioned too.

Comment

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the X-Files episode Triangle just a dream that Mulder had?

I can't remember for sure...
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by The Urban Spaceman View Post
                          Quantum Leap.
                          Originally posted by The Urban Spaceman View Post
                          It handled time-travel well. The whole series was one big time-travelling adventure. You should give it a try. Looks a little dated now but still fun.
                          I loved Quantum Leap, it was a damn good laugh!
                          sigpic

Comment

Working...
                          X