The Star Wars Holiday Special

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Star Wars Holiday Special

To those of you who have never heard of it, the SW Holiday Special was made around the same time as Episode V and it's rightfully known as the worst movie of all time. THE WORST.

The "plot" is this: It's Life Day(basically Christmas I think) on Kashyyyk, and Chewie wants to go back to his family to celebrate it so Han and Chewie get going. While they run into Imperial trouble, Chewie's family is having "fun time" doing pointless sketches that are very, very bad. The only good sketch is a cartoon that introduces Boba Fett and the Y-Wing(that was only glimpsed sometimes in the movies).

The Holiday Special starred Luke(who looks weird), Han, Chewie, Leia, 3PO, Vader(cameo), Obi-Wan(archive footage), Malla(C's wife), Lumpy(C's son), Itchy(C's dad), the Jefferson Starship(a band), stupid cook/malfunctioning robot/dumb lovebird and some other people.

Watch it. It's about as long as 2001: A Space Odyssey.
    "I have never understood why it should be necessary to become irrational in order to prove that you care... or why it should be necessary to prove it at all."

I don't know if it can be called the worst movie of all time. There are some real stinkers out there.

But god damn if it doesn't give it its all to try to earn that title. What a horrible piece of schlock.

I'm a lover of (or at worst, tolerant of) just about everything Star Wars, but even I had a hell of a time sitting through this crapfest. Do yourself a favour: don't watch it.
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Lucas at one time said IIRC that he wanted to buy all the videotapes of THS in existence and burn them... It's grim. I sometimes wonder what they were on when they made it...
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by maneth View Post
        Lucas at one time said IIRC that he wanted to buy all the videotapes of THS in existence and burn them... It's grim. I sometimes wonder what they were on when they made it...
        It was the 70s, so probably a lot of coke and disco
        "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

I have never seen it in its entirely. But I have seen the Nostalgic Critic's review of it. I would rather suffer a heart attack & die then watch this in full

Comment

Originally posted by JackO'Neill View Post
            I have never seen it in its entirely. But I have seen the Nostalgic Critic's review of it. I would rather suffer a heart attack & die then watch this in full
            It's not that bad.
            I mean, it's bad but not unwatchable. I had almost no trouble watching it(I had to skip a few worst parts).
            In my opinion, it's like a string of onions. The weak string is the "plot" and the onions are the stupid sketches. The cartoon was entertaining though.
            "I have never understood why it should be necessary to become irrational in order to prove that you care... or why it should be necessary to prove it at all."

Comment

Working...
            X