This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey, Shippers,

Like MG, I’ve been quiet and I agree with her one hundred percent! No doubt some of you will wish I’d stayed in my corner and kept my fat lips shut. Forgive me, if I run amuck and repeat myself, but I’ve no time to edit this litany of HailDorothy’s rants on Jack and Sam.

As a published sci-fi/fantasy/romance novelist, I know no matter what the entertainment genre, SHIPS sells. Moreover, that it doesn’t matter a hill of beans if its books, plays, movies or TV series. Let’s face it, no matter how perverted even, ‘Silence of the Lambs,’ had ship. “Claries!” LOL And here’s the clincher, folks, the moment the SHIP sails off into the sunset, the story ends, so does that sellable product.

To keep a market viable TPTB have to market their product in a way that keeps the majority of loyal viewers happy and TPTB behind SG-1 know that equation. True, as a diehard shipper, I’d have loved to seen every episode J/S centered. Who here wouldn’t? However, that’s not reality. I’m just happy we’ve gotten what we’ve had so far, and I believe that Robert Cooper and the other producers will give us a happy resolution to J/S. Why? Because they’d be slitting their own throats and the future of the series, if they did. SHIP SELLS. For SG-1 the SHIP was never Daniel/Shaira or now Vala, (yuck) its J/S. Always has been.

On the other side of the coin, if they give us what we want now, what would be the reason to keep watching? None. Especially if J/S are the sole reason you watch SG. TPTB weren’t born yesterday and that’s why this show has managed to have 8 successful seasons. True, I believe Jack is the heart and soul of the show and yes, they do him a disservice not mentioning him in EVERY EPISODE! And that’s not just the shipper in me venting. Despite the great supportive cast, I believe RDA made Stargate SG-1 the success it’s become.

However just like all good books must end, so must some TV series. I admit that as a selfish shipper, I’d have been happy with Moebius ending the series. Like wow! They went fishing! I’ve got a huge imagination and no problem with that sweet ending, coz I let my mind do the rest. VBG

So where was I? Oh, I am exhausted from all the negativity about the lack of ship this season and that TPTB aren’t giving us anything, and won’t give us closure on J/S. For Petty sakes get a life, folks. Stop seeing the glass half empty. If you care to look, the glass has been full for years. On the downside, I fear that boycotting S9 will not get us what we want, Jack and Sam together as a couple, preferably married in my world.

Would I rather see RDA in every episode? Yeah sure yabetcha! Heck, I’m not even a Daniel fan. Although I refused to watch S9 until Sam returned, I’ve taped every episode and have now watched them all and glad I did.

Before you all nod off or throw rotten tomatoes . . .Anyone who knows me and that I write J/S fan fic knows I’ve shipped for J/S since Carter waltzed into the briefing room and turned Jack O’Neill’s world upside down. That has to be one of the hottest IMHO first encounter ship scenes ever. The sexual tension, not to mention head games between them still makes me grin.

Jack’s antics and expressions were priceless. The poor guy had been the victim of a love-at-first-sight collision. In addition, when he said, “Oh, I adore you already, Captain.” That wasn’t sarcasm, but how he’d honestly felt. He’d been smitten.

Finally, I have it from a trustworthy source, who must remain nameless, that the J/S SHIP wasn’t a fly by night idea. But I assume that’s something you all already knew. The ship canon as launched from the start and RDA endorsed it. He has always and continues to be a J/S shipper, but realized that ship was not the centralized plot of the show. I know whether it’s S9 or S10 there will be a happy resolution for Jack and Sam. If not, slap me, Rosy, and I will never speak to my source of said happy tidings ever, ever again! And he/she knows it!

I know there will always be reasons to see the glass half empty and differences of opinions, all which I respect. But that said let's try and be more positive and upbeat. Really, we have enough negative stuff in our lives. I for one have friends in Mississippi who wish their only concern was J/S ship.

Always,
    HailDorothy aka HDorothy
    Always, HailDorothy

Carter: "You, sir, are an incorrigible lunatic!"
    Jack: "I assume that's a compliment, Carter?"
    Sam: "If you say so, sir."
    Jack: "Hey, T, I think she likes me."
    Teal'c: Indeed!"

(A typical J/S exchange according to HailDorothy)

Find out why Jack and Sam are "THE CHOSEN HEARTS" at my site:
    [URL=http://www.emeraldrose.net/stargate.htm]

Comment

I'm sure Sam and Jack still see a lot of each other, what with the Prometheus' beaming tech. Just because they don't live together doesn't mean they're not having a relationship.
      SQUEE like no one's listening.

Comment

i think AT reaction to those questions varies from time to time, and probably for very good reasons, i.e. how many questions she's had to deal with about it in a given time. OR, it could be as simple as, she just changes her answer everytime she gets asked the same question. i once heard an interview with courtney cox, and she was asked whether she got sick of answering the same questions over and over again, and she responded by saying that she just kept herself entertained by changing the answer every time.

for all we know this could be paraphrasing by the writer of the arcticle, or it could be different parts of different interviews just pieced together and this COULD be an old quote. or TPTB could get the actors to answer certain questions that are guaranteed to come up, in different ways so as to throw people of the scent of where they're going. remember the AT quote regarding an idyllic dream sequence for last year that i'm pretty sure nobody saw?

there could be any number of answers to this whole thing.
        personally i think that AT is really a shipper, albeit a casual one, who would be happy enough if s&j ended up together as long as it didn't become the most important thing about her character.

i know that thats what i want. i'm a shipper, and a huge one at that (not physically ) but it was never the most important thing about those characters to me.
        for all we know AT's answers regarding ship could be dependant upon whether she's had an argument with RDA or not that day. who knows!?

all i know is, that it would make no sense for them to burst the happy ship bubble. RDA is not on the show, so they don't have to have it so obviously present, most shippers would be happy in the knowlege that they are together, and get the occasional line in passing to inspire many a fanfic. we'd know its there, anti's wouldn't need to deal with it. nobody loses.

bursting the ship bubble would make about as much sense as chimera or affinity.

should i put spoilers in there? cos i'm not too sure.

long post though huh?

well done anyone who actually managed to read that, cos i wrote it and I didn't read it.

Comment

i kinda want to ask joe about the latest rumblings, and if, god forbid, they are contemplating a set up for some sam/cam goings on other than friendship, but i'm scared. i've never asked joe anything and i'd say he's probably sick to death of ship questions of any form.

by the by, haven't seen any S9 so that sam/cam thing is just pure paranoid thinking on my part.

Comment

(note - my brain is officially fried...I'll come back when I have something constructive and inspired)

Linda, Cookie Monster - brilliant posts!!!!!!!!!!!!!
            sigpic
            Part 2 coming very soon!! (this is a fic btw, not the Fandemonium novel)

Comment

Wow some really stong points of view coming out here! And a lot of valid points! Some I agree with and others I dont. Im not really one for getting all deep and meaningful but Id like to think of myself as a 'glass half full' person. I really hope that at some point this ship has a destination (as opposed to sinking on route), but at the moment Im just enjoying the voyage and hoping the scenery remains colourful (am watching with those rose tinted glasses which helps ). So lets stay positive folks and remember if you dont like what you hear, then just ignore it and make up your own version (thats what fic is for ).

(((((((((((shipper family))))))))))

Go to your happy place

Comment

(note - my brain is officially fried...I'll come back when I have something constructive and inspired)

Funny, I always thought you were the "Over-easy," type myself.

Linda, who really can't believe you read my entire post and only came out fried.
                Always, HailDorothy

Comment

HailDorothy,
                  Excellent post.

One of the things we shippers need to do is stop asking the PTB for advance information on the ship. That is what most of this frustration is about. They don't give clear information and we interpret it in so many ways then nothing comes out as we thought and everybody is peeved in the end.

I am a shipper that will still watch the show even after the ship is resolved, provided the show maintains the level of intelligence that it has had all of these years.

Comment

Hey HailDorothy *waves* you're here - YAY!!!!!!!!

Hows things? Thanks for your email will write you tomorrow!

Comment

Originally posted by scjon
                      I'm sorry, perhaps I really shouldn't have said anything at all until I had a chance to get a hold of the magazine. I was just really surprised and wondered what on earth was going on. I hoped someone else might have heard something. Apparently not.

Please blame sleep deprivation-I'm trying to get my PhD thesis finished in a very short space of time.
                      Oh, don’t think a thing about it. You did the right thing in sharing. Worrying is what we do best! And one thing is for sure—this topic certainly sparked a lot of insightful posting today!
                      Originally posted by Oma-1
                      I took the Jack/Sam comments to be light-hearted and not to be taken too seriously. The article made a big deal out of what she said and ran with it as sub-titles and pic text and imo blew it up completely out of proportion. They talked about and made the point that Carter's relationships had been focused on a lot in the last couple of seasons. Amanda could have been sick to death of the ship questions and was being flippant. We just don't know. To be honest, I don't usually read Dreamwatch or any of the sci-fi mags (I was killing time at the hairdressers ) for precisely this reason. Interviews are all well and good, but the reporter will always write their interpretation of it.
                      Oma is right (Actually, I can’t think of a time in my five months here that Oma hasn’t been right). AT may have made a light-hearted comment, and the reporter took it and blew it up out of proportion (or the editor did) because they recognized that as the sentence that would catch the attention of anyone leafing through it at the news stand…..and would ultimately sell the magazine. I choose to remember what we heard about AT’s comments from Comic Con. Some of our folks actually witnessed those and reported back to us here. We don’t know the reporter who wrote the Dreamwatch article!
                      Originally posted by Token
                      To me, this is just another "who knows how to take it" article. What fascinates me is that DreamWatch knows what sells!! What did they chose to hype in the mag?? THE ship!! Whether pro or con, the Sam and Jack ship sells magazines, DVDs, and the show itself. People can deny it, but it doesn't change the truth! Personally, I think that if Sam ever had a taste of Jack, she would never go back!! And if she did, there would be plenty of women to pick up the slack. Of course, AT didn't say for how long the "sexual relationship" would last so I give it at least 40 years, heck, 50 years (gotta make the golden anniversary)!
                      Absolutely---what she said!!!!! And as to the “taste of Jack” comment, where does the line form? Dibs on the spot right behind Sam!!!!!
                      Originally posted by minigeek
                      I think Sam and Jack are already together in the minds of the producers. I think it's far more a matter of when and how that revelation will be made, than if. In my humble opinion, they're being as vague as possible largely because of Robert's ambivelance. But at some point, I truly believe they'll bite the bullet on this, because I don't think they have any plans at all to break-up nine years of emotional character development for either Carter, or O'Neill. And that's what they would be doing, if they moved either one of them on (to someone else)
                      I do too. They’re just waiting for what they decide is the “right” moment to reveal it. And weren’t the words, “major revelation” used in referring to Crusade and Camelot? I’m just saying……

Comment

Originally posted by girlgater
                        Well, I feel better for the most part. I am rather disappointed at AT's comments, but after all she is getting paid to portray a character. The fact that she may not totally support the ship is irrelevant at this point (I guess), as it is left up to TPTB, but it would make it sweeter if she wanted them to be together too.

So, I'm going to go with what Samantha Carter said
                        Spoiler:
                        "not exactly" and what Jack O'Neill said, "always"
                        and not worry what Amanda Tapping said.

As far as I am concerned, Jack and Sam are together; their relationship is a mature one based on mutual respect and admiration and that's all there is to it...
                        I agree with your viewpoint!!! AT is entitled to her opinion but she does not write the scripts. Rest assured, there has been too much set into motion for too long for it to resolve in anything less than a relationship!!! So, I am confident that Our Ship will come in!!
                        sigpic

Comment

to be honest, i really don't put much if any faith in what gets printed in those mags. i stopped buying them even before i was a gater because of the reliability or lack thereof with their "information". the majority of these things take something that was said as a joke and turn it into a big serious deal, or paraphrase comments to the liking of the interviewer/editor and make them what they want. celebrities are so often misquoted or have their words taken completely out of context.

personally i still love AT, and have never heard a bad word spoken about her by anybody who has ever met her, and even if she were sick of the ship, or changed her mind about it or whatever, i'd still be a huge fan, and even that would not mean anything in terms of the outcome of any such storyline.

season 9 speculative
                          Spoiler:
                          my only real concern would be that coop is directing and writing and producing the last couple of eps, and i'm not really sure where he stands with the ship. having said that he did give us some great shippy stuff, i.e, the lost city, threads, moebius etc.

Comment

Originally posted by UhSir
                            HailDorothy,
                            Excellent post.

One of the things we shippers need to do is stop asking the PTB for advance information on the ship.

I am a shipper that will still watch the show even after the ship is resolved, provided the show maintains the level of intelligence that it has had all of these years.
                            Thanks, UhSir,

I agree with your point of view. We love to make muchado about nothing. Even if we don't always agree. Asking the PTB for advance intel is like asking an author to give away the ending of her book before it's published. Kinda defeats the purpose of publishing. And really kills the sales numbers!

And I too will continue to watch the show as long . . . you so nicely put it.
                            Always, HailDorothy

Comment

[QUOTE=Billie]Hey HailDorothy *waves* you're here - YAY!!!!!!!!

Hi, there, Billie! BIG WAVE!!! Actually fighting off another wave of headaches....haaaaa get it wave of . . .Oh, I really need to get a life!

And you better write!!! Heeeeee!
                              Always, HailDorothy

Comment

Originally posted by HailDorothy
                                Thanks, UhSir,

I agree with your point of view. We love to make muchado about nothing. Even if we don't always agree. Asking the PTB for advance intel is like asking an author to give away the ending of her book before it's published. Kinda defeats the purpose of publishing. And really kills the sales numbers!

And I too will continue to watch the show as long . . . you so nicely put it.
                                i'm one of those people who will occasionally read the last page to see if the book's worth reading/buying.

i'm not saying i wouldn't watch the show if
                                Spoiler:
                                sam and jack were to break up
                                but it would really make me question if the show was worth watching. if they could do that then just think of what other horrible things they could do. and especially after all that build up, to hit a flat note right at the cresendo (wrong spelling, i know). of course this is purely theoretical because JM would never let this happen. right? right?!

Comment

Working...
                                X