Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi chums. I haven't been able to get here for days now, and I miss you all. Welcome to all the newbies that have joined the family.

Originally posted by pittsburghgirl
    I'm afraid that I am in the "not even when pigs become kosher and fly" club when it comes to trusting the boys in vancouver-i think they will play the ship card if/when and only if/when the ratings start to tank because they aren't good enough to keep the newbies and the old guard starts to bale.
    Originally posted by marimba26
    *raises hand* I've joined that club too. I hated the way that they used ship only as a plot device to ratchet up the *drama* (or melodrama as the case may be) in season 8. I loved the ship in earlier seasons bc it always felt right and this season, it hasn't been fun like it was before. This season was all about angst with no happy resolution (I'm sorry PTB but I do NOT consider that AU garbage in Moebius a resolution). So I'll stick with my DVDs and watch the old eps and read fanfic where Sam and Jack live happily ever after...

Feel free to flame away now...
    I'm with you guys. I don't trust TPTB either. I've been reading a lot of fics lately and it would be so easy for TPTB to have Sam and Jack together...at least it's easy in the fics I read, so surely "professional" writers can do the same!
    sigpic

Comment

*raises hand* I've joined that club too. I hated the way that they used ship only as a plot device to ratchet up the *drama* (or melodrama as the case may be) in season 8. I loved the ship in earlier seasons bc it always felt right and this season, it hasn't been fun like it was before. This season was all about angst with no happy resolution (I'm sorry PTB but I do NOT consider that AU garbage in Moebius a resolution). So I'll stick with my DVDs and watch the old eps and read fanfic where Sam and Jack live happily ever after...

I agree with what you've said about the TPTB and all they've put us through. I also agree that the AU was not a resolution. How can anyone expect us to be happy without a resolution in our timeline? I was reading another thread yesterday, and someone commented that the ending "gave the shippers the happy ending they wanted without really committing to it." I wrote back and said that shippers WEREN'T happy, because without a resolution in our timeline, we hadn't really GOTTEN anything.

The only observation I'll make is that as dedicated as Sam & Jack are to what they do, we always knew it would take a series of extreme situations (such as fear of completely losing the chance at a life with each other, the deaths of loved ones, the inability to move on and make other relationships work, finally achieving victory over the snakeheads, etc.) to force this pair to realize that they have to face their feelings and make a decision. They've been delaying it, always thinking the time would be "right" later. Now, they can't do that any more.

Comment

You do have a point Marimba, the A.U thing was not the resolution I wanted and to be honest I did think we were going to get more but I know TPTB did all they could, they are in a difficult position pleasing both shippers and anti's and they did at least try and show us that Sam and Jack were together. I really would have liked for them to have let us see Sam and Jack talk and maybe give us a little hug or something! but as long as I do get at least a scene of Sam and Jack together as a couple I will be happy, and the odd mention of Jack from Sam saying everything is going well and he is ok etc..

For me it all depends on Season 9. I don't think i'm going to like it much with all these changes that are going on but if I get a nice Sam/Jack scene I will be more than happy. Season 8 was a good enough end to Stargate for me so i'm going to stick with that but if I get a little more Sam/Jack materail I can easily pretend that happened somewhere at the end of Season 8.

OK i'm going to stop babbling now...I hope you all understand what i'm getting at

@->-4eva Sam and Jack!<3

^ My New Siggy!!! Made by SueKay! ^

Comment

((((((Shipper Family))))))

It's been a long couple of days! So I'm making the most of being here now - I've been dying to answer this question since Tuesday

Originally posted by pittsburghgirl
          A question that I am throwing out-aside from the actors affinity towards each other-what is about Sam and Jack that caught your imagination? What is it about the characters that had us rooting for them from their first scene together?
          The first shippy scenes I saw our lovely couple in were in Solitudes, about 2 weeks into my Stargate affair. What struck me most about that ep was their dedication to each other in supporting each other's spirits, Sam looking after Jack's injuries, and his lame attempts at humour. I just loved the way they were together. For both of them, their overriding concerns were for the other, extending way beyond anything purely professional. IMHO this resulted in such a bond and closeness between Sam & Jack that their eventual romantic feelings were inevitable.

I don't see this ep as shippy in the S4 sense, but it's the ep I really started to love the Sam & Jack characters and want for them to be together. As I got to see more eps and backfilled the gaps in their pasts, I became even more avid a shipper for them. I think TPTB did a fantastic job with their characters, making us feel empathy for them through eps like Cold Lazarus and First Commandment. Showing Broca Divide before both of those eps was a masterstroke, cos it showed us how much passion was locked up inside them and this knowledge was colouring our perceptions a lovely shippy colour for the future.

I saw COTG for the first time about 8 months ago and I have to admit to cringing at the boardroom scene, I still do I think it's because the characters were so new and at that point fairly stereotyped compared to how we know them now. Even the Abydos scenes with the moonshine etc were typical guy plays prank on new girl to see if she can hack it. So although I see COTG as the start of the sparks and the ship, I love Solitudes so much more because it was written so beautifully.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by LOL4JACK
            OMA, love your additions.... maybe we should post this some where, is there an official Sam & Jack are together page ?
            Yep. Every page on this thread *contented shippy smile*
            sigpic

Comment

Jumping into the do I trust tptb with ship convo:

I've been nostalgic the last few days, reading tons and tons of fanfic to stave off the GW withdrawal. The strange effect that ff has on me is to appreciate tptb. I know I complain a lot about lack shippy bits in some eps and went into a real rant over M2 (yes there is a "but" coming ) however , I have to wonder if I would have become so S&J obessessed and got involved here at all if the ship had been resolved in S4 or even S7.

I'm trying to look philosophically at S9, and in the position that tptb have found themselves in. They've managed to hold onto RDA for 3 extra seasons, which allowed them to create Atlantis (which I love too - go Shep/Weir!) and lessen my dependency on seeing RDA central in every ep of SG-1. Now RDA's taking a break (optimism rules me ) and wants to have the option to come back. So they won't abandon SG-1 and call it something else, cos otherwise RDA would have nowhere to come back to.

I really don't think tptb will just drop the S&J storyline completely for the whole of S9. I don't think we'll get much, and it could be really angsty rather than completely shippy, but I do trust them enough that before SG-1 closes the iris for good, we will see S&J in a competely resolved relationship a la JAG.

So all that rambling means, yeah, I trust tptb to bring the ship home eventually - and give me lots to rave, love, moan and complain about in the meantime.
              sigpic

Comment

(((((Marimba)))))

Check this one out - it's taken me most of the last 3 days to read it, but they live happily ever after If I'd found it sooner I could have posted it during our BTS Mini Ship Day

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2211735/1/
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Myrth
                  Some eye candy and possible ponder points....

http://www.bigbutton.com.au/~wickedg...led-14%7E1.jpg
                  Interesting place to uh "support" her there Jack......

http://www.bigbutton.com.au/~wickedg...led-10%7E1.jpg

Interestingly "intimate" spot to have his hand don't ya think?

In both cases RDA moved his hand right quick... but it was there for the er... capping..

I missed both of those while watching the eps I'll enjoy going back to watch them even more now. At least there's a
                  Spoiler:
                  touch in New Order to look forward to - I found the ignoring of the ship in that ep really frustrating. Not even Jack's "So, Teal'c what's with the hair?" made up for it.
                  sigpic

Comment

wow i think i will star talking o this board i think that Jack and Sam together is the greatest and this is okay if guys are on it right i hope

Comment

Originally posted by Oma-1
                      Jumping into the do I trust tptb with ship convo:

I've been nostalgic the last few days, reading tons and tons of fanfic to stave off the GW withdrawal. The strange effect that ff has on me is to appreciate tptb. I know I complain a lot about lack shippy bits in some eps and went into a real rant over M2 (yes there is a "but" coming ) however , I have to wonder if I would have become so S&J obessessed and got involved here at all if the ship had been resolved in S4 or even S7.

I'm trying to look philosophically at S9, and in the position that tptb have found themselves in. They've managed to hold onto RDA for 3 extra seasons, which allowed them to create Atlantis (which I love too - go Shep/Weir!) and lessen my dependency on seeing RDA central in every ep of SG-1. Now RDA's taking a break (optimism rules me ) and wants to have the option to come back. So they won't abandon SG-1 and call it something else, cos otherwise RDA would have nowhere to come back to.

I really don't think tptb will just drop the S&J storyline completely for the whole of S9. I don't think we'll get much, and it could be really angsty rather than completely shippy, but I do trust them enough that before SG-1 closes the iris for good, we will see S&J in a competely resolved relationship a la JAG.

So all that rambling means, yeah, I trust tptb to bring the ship home eventually - and give me lots to rave, love, moan and complain about in the meantime.

I would like to think that RDA will come back after pretty much taking a year off (not that I blame him for doing it). If he would continue to do 3-5 special episodes a year that would certainly lead to more definitive relationship possibilities with Sam. If he doesn't come back, then the ship will still go on. I can't believe TPTB would end the ship between Sam/Jack...it would go against everything I've hoped for. Oh well, I'm rambling as well. Everyone have a great night. I've missed this thread soooo much.
                      -girlgater

Comment

It's alive!!! {happy jig} *ahem*... be cool....

Thought for the day...

sigpic

Comment

Nice collage.

Comment

SPOILERS FOR CHIMERA/AFFINITY/THREADS

Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan

And this is where I get pelted with shipper cookies for my opinion...

I didn't hate Pete - plus you all know I think DDL is a hottie....but back to Pete.

Pete had no way of knowing that Sam's job was what it was...he just thought that she feared emotional intimacy and didn't want to share her life with him. Of course, his response was a complete mistake with the whole background check thing; but maybe he was scared that her job cover (which was phony as can be...they need to come up with something better than deep space telemetry) was bogus because she was a career criminal or something...
                            no pelting, just me stepping on my soapbox again.

*run now, save yourselves!*

i don't believe pete thought sam was a criminal. i don't believe pete really believed he could die like all her other man-friends. i believe pete opened up himself to her after they slept together, and when sam wouldn't do the same, he was hurt, angry, and did something deceitful.

trying to get into *sam's* head, this is what i'd forgive him for:

* walking out on me after our night together. why? because he didn't do it to be mean, he was just reacting emotionally to me shutting him out.

* calling his fbi friend to check up on me.

what i'd NOT forgive him for:

* after getting his fbi friend's return call, and finding out that i 'was' involved in something big - he went ahead and followed me.

* showing up at the stakeout. he knew something was going down, but not only did he continue to spy on me, he interferred at a pivotal moment and almost got me and my team killed.

an apology would go some way from him, but it was never heard or shown. the episode never even acknowledged that he did anything wrong.

so, after all this, with us admonishing/defending pete, there's one thing that hasn't been adresseed... was it NICE of pete to do? the only things i can think of that would/could justify pete doing what he did was a- worrying about sam's safety, b- worrying about his own (black widow curse thinger that sam joked/mentioned), and c- thinking sam was into something illegal. and out of the three, only 'a' wouldn't make pete look like a prick for doing what he did. the ep never gave us pete's true motivations for his deeds, so we have to take the evidence shown to come up with our own. and for this fan, he looked like he didn't like his 'girlfriend' keeping things from him, so he did whatever he needed to do to find out what he wanted to know.

as you can see, uber, this is a hot topic for me. not only did this ep push my ship buttons, but my samfan buttons too. as much as i didn't like what pete did, i was actually more bothered that sam was fine with it. one scene, one MOMENT of her saying something to him would have went *far* for me, because it was sam i cared about more than this would-be-lothario's hurt pride. and isn't it pride his true motivation?

stepping down off soapbox and hoping uber didn't take it personally.

(((uber)))

sally
                            sally

sigpic

Comment

Hello, Shipper Family! I can't believe (after all the outages these past two weeks) that we're actually able to be here tonight. I haven't posted anything because I've been so busy catching up on everything I've missed (all your astute and insightful posts, of course!).

Please forgive me for being a little OT, but when I logged in tonight, I noticed that someone had started a Moderators Appreciation Thread. I went there and posted a message, letting the mods and web gurus know that I'm sorry they've been through such a trying time, and that we appreciate all they do to maintain this site. I was thinking of it as a kind of "Get Well Card" for Gateworld. If you'd like to post a message there too, here's the link:

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthrea...26#post4224426

Gotta get back to catching up! Besides, I had such a wild, crazy and demanding RL day that my brain has pretty much turned to mush at this point anyway. Talk with you soon!

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal
                                SPOILERS FOR CHIMERA/AFFINITY/THREADS

<<snipping sally's yadda yadda about Pete >>

sally
                                Naw, it's all good. ((((((((majorsal)))))))

I keep in mind that Pete's main purposes in existence were to further the Sam/Jack story and for us to dislike him greatly.

I agree...he made some stupid decisions beyond his tailing her and possibly endangering a mission in Chimera. I mean, for crying out loud, he pressed Sam to marry him even though he knew she was "conflicted"...I think he knew why she was conflicted, and what she was conflicted about. (dang, I ended that last sentence with a preposition!)

The reality is that if they were meant to be together, he shouldn't have had to have pushed so hard. He wouldn't have rushed...it just would have been right...and she wouldn't have had to weigh her decision to accept his proposal on how Jack reacted to the idea vs. her wanting to have a life.

He had to have known that pushing so hard would inevitably end in failure and heartache because the problems he believed would evaporate once she became Mrs. Shanahan would still be there...not that I think she'd cheat on him. I don't believe that's in her character. But her feelings for Jack would still be there (which I think he picked up on because she more than likely would give him tells to suggest more than she'd like) and would always be some sort of barrier between them.

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Working...
                                X