Plot holes with Asgard beaming technology

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Plot holes with Asgard beaming technology

I'm sure this has already been debated (heatedly) on other threads, so I apologize. But in SaR, Daedalus needs to lower its shields to transport Ronon and Sheppard up from the planet, thereby getting hammered by Michael's cruiser in the process.

WHAT???

So you're telling me that in No Man's Land, where Daedalus is under CONSTANT FIRE from the surviving hive ship, that they drop their shields THEN to beam up McKay, Michael, Ronon and Sheppard? NO mention of that is made. In fact, Colonel Caldwell's exact words are: "Get 'em over here!" and then "Beam them directly to the bridge!" Nothing about shields. I cannot imagine that he would leave out a critical order like that.

Thor also mentions in "Nemesis" that his flagship, the Beliskner, uses its thrusters and shields to protect it upon reentry into a planet's atmosphere. SG-1 destroys the thruster so the ship accelerates too quickly and eventually burns up and is destroyed. But the ship itself isn't getting heated up by the atmospheric friction. You can see the shields absorbing the stress, at least until the thruster is destroyed. And during this, they BEAM UP the stargate from the planet! (-gasp!- Why, it's a very similar scenario!) And it strikes me that the Beliskner, while probably more impressive technologically to the Daedalus, doesn't have any issue using the transporter, I can't imagine that the human-built ship would either.

And in Be All My Sins Forgotten, Apollo (and the other ships) drop out of hyperspace and IMMEDIATELY start firing on the Replicator fleet. You're telling me that Abe Ellis would be willing to drop shields not once (to beam them down) but TWICE (to beam the team back) and risk his ship and crew? Yes, it's a very important mission, but I cannot believe a capable combat commander (as he must be to warrant command of a 304) would be willing to risk that.

I hate it when the writers suddenly turn to Star Trek when they need a reason to bring down the power and strength of their heroes. I love Star Trek, don't get me wrong, but this show ISN'T Star Trek. You establish certain rules, you need to abide by them!

And please don't read this as a put down of this episode. I love this one. It's otherwise quite great. But that writer cheat bugs me!

Honestly, after watching SG1 and SGA several times, I've never heard this thing about the shields in the Gate-verse. The only series of shows that they mention needing to lower the shields to use their beaming technology is Star Trek.
    sigpic

Comment

Yea it's a known plot-hole and it sucks. not much to debate tho, it's clearly a plot device to get the ship damaged

Comment

Simple solution to the search and rescue plot hole would have been that when Daedalus first shows up, that Michael's lands a few of his first shots thereby damaging the ship before. Then you can queue the rest of the battle and shields up beaming.

Comment

I am in the same boat as LtColCarter. I have seen every episode of every Stargate show twice, quite a few three times, and a few of them four, even five times. I don't remember a mention of them needing to lower their shields to beam somebody in. I have, however, seen it many times in Star Trek, of which I have also seen every episode of every show, and every movie, albeit only once. If this did happen in Stargate, it could have just been an oversight by the writers, or perhaps beaming doesn't work when shields are at a certain frequency or at a certain strength.

Comment

Originally posted by Bradley View Post
            I am in the same boat as LtColCarter. I have seen every episode of every Stargate show twice, quite a few three times, and a few of them four, even five times. I don't remember a mention of them needing to lower their shields to beam somebody in. I have, however, seen it many times in Star Trek, of which I have also seen every episode of every show, and every movie, albeit only once. If this did happen in Stargate, it could have just been an oversight by the writers, or perhaps beaming doesn't work when shields are at a certain frequency or at a certain strength.
            Like you I've never heard mention of shields needing to be dropped to beam someone aboard on any Stargate show.
            sigpic

Comment

I thought they dropped the shields to allow 302s and Jumpers to land in the bays.

Comment

Originally posted by Achiles View Post
                I thought they dropped the shields to allow 302s and Jumpers to land in the bays.
                They wouldn't need to lower the shields for that, either. The 302s can go through the shields and the jumpers were cloaked, so they weren't really in any danger.
                Meh...

Comment

I have heard them mention lowering the shields to beam people on board, in the epi that the OP mentioned Search and Rescue
                  sigpic

Comment

It does happen in this episode. Michael was even informed that The Daedalus had been damaged after lowering the shields.

Comment

Working...
                    X