"Star Wars Revisited"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Star Wars Revisited"

I came across this a few days back, and thought it was definitely worth sharing with my fellow SW fanatics (at least, those of you who haven't heard of it already ) I give you: Star Wars Revisited!

This is a project which was undertaken by a fan, like so many of us, who has been endlessly aggravated by GL's half-baked tinkering with the original films--and most especially annoyed with the halfassed DVD release that the theatrical versions of the OT got a few years back. He spent a grand total of two years tinkering with ANH, restoring and preserving the vast majority of the original, theatrical version of the film, while occasionally making his own tweaks. In total, s/he made over 250 tweaks to ANH, from completely asinine continuity fixes that even I had never noticed before, up to and including creating his own film-quality VFX to make the Battle of Yavin more intense.

I watched this yesterday afternoon, and the guy's tag line is 100% spot-on: "What the Special Editions should have been!" I loved this edit, and I'm pretty sure it'll be the only version of ANH that I watch from here on out. Better still? S/he's working on Empire now, and the little previews released for that so far also look to be phenomenal.

[A note to the mods: the linked site does not contain any download links, and specifically asks that anybody interested actually own the movies before looking. But really at this point, is there anybody who doesn't own Star Wars?
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Hell, I've already seen samples of this on Youtube, this is a big project! He's fixing the Emperor scene too(there's even a deleted scene of Alderaan's destruction that includes Jar Jar Binks).
    "I have never understood why it should be necessary to become irrational in order to prove that you care... or why it should be necessary to prove it at all."

Comment

Er...there's no Jar Jar in this. NONE!
      "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
        Er...there's no Jar Jar in this. NONE!
        I said deleted scene. Anyway, it's a nice project.
        "I have never understood why it should be necessary to become irrational in order to prove that you care... or why it should be necessary to prove it at all."

Comment

It is an excellent project, and I really hope you GW SW people will give it a try. It's worth it

Comment

WIP comparison video of this guy's work on ESB vs. how the Blu-ray looks:

Full link (watch the video in HD here)

Comment

Cool stuff. There is no fan who's not tiked off by so much tinkering with the originals. Knock it off, Mr Lucas, please.
              sigpic
              Beautiful signature and avatar by Yamiinsane. You're a mind reader!
              Aristides de Sousa Mendes

Comment

I'm fine with almost all changes. But Vader DOES NOT shout noooo in ROTJ.

Comment

^ That alone was the singular reason I did not buy the OT on Blu.

If this guy's work on Empire and Jedi are as good as his work on ANH, I can deal with waiting another 5 years (or however long) for his versions.

Comment

Where can I get this Revisited A New Hope?

Btw, any word on Han vs Greedo(that argument is becoming a legend)?

Comment

You can figure it out through the guy's site. I don't want to post it here; don't want to break any GW rules.

And--as it should be--Han shoots only. Greedo doesn't shoot. Never did

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
                        You can figure it out through the guy's site. I don't want to post it here; don't want to break any GW rules.

And--as it should be--Han shoots only. Greedo doesn't shoot. Never did
                        I happen to know that in some early script, Greedo did shoot first. But nah, I don't care. Anyway, what about Jabba? Is that scene taken out?

Comment

Yeah that's a load of crap. I remember when Lucas said that recently--it was nonsense. He's just trying to validate the Greedo Shot First nonsense.

And yes, the Jabba scene is gone.

Comment

Adywan = genius.

But a load of credit to Lucas for making these movies in the first place. Did you notice that whenever he makes these big, outrageous changes, Episode V always seems to be untouched?

Comment

Mostly, yep. Thank god.

There's only really two that stand out as notable to me:
                              1. I'm not a massive fan of the dialogue changes for the Emperor's holo-conversation with Vader, but they're not a dealbreaker for me
                              2. Re-dubbing Boba Fett's voice with Temeura Morrison's. This one really sticks in my craw--the original voice was better, and it doesn't make sense in context either

Other than that though, the changes are mercifully few and generally actually make sense. The bit showing Vader board a shuttle to return to the Executor was actually a pretty decent idea. Yes we pretty easily deduced for ourselves before that he had done so, but it makes the continuity of the climax of the movie a little smoother IMO.

Comment

Working...
                              X