The Cinematic Saga

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Cinematic Saga

For me, Star Wars begins and ends at the cinema. I don't watch cartoons (unless it's a movie), and I'm not interested in the literature (rather read something original). As I understand it, there's the original trilogy and the prequel trilogy. In addition to this, there were two TV movies and the Clone Wars animated movie. Are there more spin-off movies? Can the Clone Wars movie be watched independently of the cartoons?

The Clone Wars movie can be watch independently of the cartoons (2d and 3d series). It's not something I'd really recommend doing as Clone Wars works better if you consider it a pilot for the series than a separate movie. Watching it then crossing over the series (3d, 2d isn't connected to the CG stuff) is definitely the best thing you can do. The series gets better and better and is very original.

For other Spinoff movies, there are three. Two are live action involving Ewoks, the third is a animated movie based on the Droids cartoon series. If you like to punish yourself, you could also try watching the Star Wars Holiday Special which first introduced Boba Fett into Star Wars.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SaberBlade View Post
      The Clone Wars movie can be watch independently of the cartoons (2d and 3d series). It's not something I'd really recommend doing as Clone Wars works better if you consider it a pilot for the series than a separate movie. Watching it then crossing over the series (3d, 2d isn't connected to the CG stuff) is definitely the best thing you can do. The series gets better and better and is very original.
      2nd and 3rd series? What? As for being a movie pilot for the series, well... does the movie not have a conclusive ending? I'm not interested in crossing over to the series. As I said, I don't watch cartoons. What's the difference between traditional animation and CG animation? Wouldn't the stories told be the same?

Originally posted by SaberBlade View Post
      For other Spinoff movies, there are three. Two are live action involving Ewoks, the third is a animated movie based on the Droids cartoon series. If you like to punish yourself, you could also try watching the Star Wars Holiday Special which first introduced Boba Fett into Star Wars.
      Are the Ewok movies worth watching? The droids are interesting supporting characters, but how did they get their own cartoon series and movie? I presume this was a kiddie show? As I understand it, there are no legal copies of Star Wars: The Holiday Special, so how could I watch that?

Comment

Originally posted by Snowman37 View Post
        Are the Ewok movies worth watching? The droids are interesting supporting characters, but how did they get their own cartoon series and movie? I presume this was a kiddie show? As I understand it, there are no legal copies of Star Wars: The Holiday Special, so how could I watch that?
        1. The Ewok movies are worth watching(I've only seen first). It's far from usual Star Wars quality, but quite fun.
        2. The droids are not supporting characters, they are main characters. At least in the original movies.
        <Snipped by Moderator>
        Last edited by Bagpuss; 06 July 2012, 08:55 AM.
        "I have never understood why it should be necessary to become irrational in order to prove that you care... or why it should be necessary to prove it at all."

Comment

The droids are supporting characters. The trilogy centers around Luke Skywalker, Princess Leia, and Han Solo. The droids support this trio.

Comment

2nd and 3rd series? What? As for being a movie pilot for the series, well... does the movie not have a conclusive ending? I'm not interested in crossing over to the series. As I said, I don't watch cartoons. What's the difference between traditional animation and CG animation? Wouldn't the stories told be the same?

The Cartoon Network had a bunch of 2 dimension cartoon shorts before the current 3 dimension cartoon series was conceived.

I barely remember watching the ewok movies as a kid and enjoyed them at the time. Not sure if I'd like them as an adult though.
            I tell you Teal'c, hockey is the coolest game on Earth!

Did you not say it is played on ice, O'Neill?

Comment

The droids are supporting characters. The trilogy centers around Luke Skywalker, Princess Leia, and Han Solo. The droids support this trio.
              Well, at least they should be credited as main in Episode IV, the first part of the movie centers around them.
              "I have never understood why it should be necessary to become irrational in order to prove that you care... or why it should be necessary to prove it at all."

Comment

The droids are just a plot device to unite Luke Skywalker, Old Ben, and Han Solo with Princess Leia. It's just that they got a lot of screen time to provoke laughter from the audience.

Comment

That maybe so(why do I end up arguing with you in every thread?), but the droids are still fundamentally important in the saga. R2-D2 and C-3PO saved the day for countless of times(maybe R2-D2 a bit more but that isn't important). The droids are main characters and deserve to be so.

Comment

Oh, I'm not disputing that they are main characters. I'm just saying that they are supporting characters to the main characters. Taking SG-1 for example... the show starred Richard Dean-Anderson, Michael Shanks, Amanda Tapping, and Christopher Judge (in the early years). Though Don S. Davis was a series regular, he was a supporting character. The show wasn't about Hammond, it was about SG-1.

As for why we argue... I love to argue. Don't you?

Comment

Oh, I thrive on arguing.

Comment

In my opinion, the whole franchise has become OVER popular. There is too much of it, too many nods to it in adverts. It has done the opposite of its goal and put me off.
                        sigpic
                        Paying Homage to Star Trek... LIKE A BOSS!... Though right now I'd prefer a Night Fury to the Enterprise

Comment

I think that's why it's more SPECIAL as a movie event. Really, I'm content with the six movies. That said, I'm open to spin-off movies. Ongoing cartoons, live action TV show, novels, and so on... I'm not that into it.

Comment

I'm not that into it.
                            You're really missing out. Even if you decided not to watch all of Clone Wars, you should at least watch some of the longer story arcs that are 3 or 4 episodes long. Some good examples would be anything involving Domino Squad and pretty much every episode that focuses primarily on Clone Troopers. Anything with Cad Bane is always enjoyable and also the Umbara arc is also a definite watch.

But as a fan of the cinematic saga, there are still some things you could watch that are more Clone Wars episodes closely related to the movies, usually involving minor characters from the movies.
                            Last edited by SaberBlade; 22 July 2012, 01:20 AM.

sigpic

Comment

The Clone Wars film really isn't as good as the series. While I am ridiculously behind on The Clone Wars its a great show that seems to be getting better stories and animation as the show goes on and alot of Star Wars fans out there who love the Original Trilogy seem to like The Clone Wars more than the prequels.

I really recommend trying out the Expanded Universe, the novels are great and the comic books to say the least are amazing.

Comment

Working...
                              X