Clone Wars?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clone Wars?

What's up with all of this animated Clone Wars stuff? What we saw in Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith was sufficient. Why does it need expansion? What's the appeal?

Jedi, lots and lots of Jedi
    sigpic
    ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
    A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
    The truth isn't the truth

Comment

...and?

Comment

Originally posted by Snowman37 View Post
        ...and?
        The storylines are interesting as well. I wouldn't mind seeing a series like Clone wars for the "shadows of the empire" series either.
        sigpic

Comment

I think one of the main reasons for expansion also was to target a younger audience. Animation is one way to do this and also tame down the look of violence.

Comment

Clone Wars (Genndy) started in 2003--9 years ago--and led directly into RotS, which came out in 2005. TCW (CGI) started four years ago and is heading into its fifth season in September.

It's a little late in the game to whine now.
            "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

but I like wine

Cheese, anyone?
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Puggy View Post
                I think one of the main reasons for expansion also was to target a younger audience. Animation is one way to do this and also tame down the look of violence.
                Never watched Anime have ya?

Gots to love the "it's just a cartoon" manuver
                sigpic

Comment

I would say that TCW started as a kid-friendly show, but at this point it's usually not anymore. Seasons 2-4, generally speaking, are the sort of subject matter that the prequels should have been, rather than the schlock we ended up with.
                  "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post

I would say that TCW started as a kid-friendly show, but at this point it's usually not anymore. Seasons 2-4, generally speaking, are the sort of subject matter that the prequels should have been, rather than the schlock we ended up with.
                    TCW does what many other shows fail to do, grow up. Many of my own fave "real world" shows don't do it either, but the ones that do are the ones I love the most.

Besides, as I sai TCW has a great story and format. I actually reminds me of what my parents/grandparents told me of shows like "Flash Gordon" in it's original B&W serial format.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
                      The storylines are interesting as well.
                      Why?

Originally posted by Puggy View Post
                      Given that it's a cartoon, I figured this much.

It's a little late in the game to whine now.
                      I asked questions. How is this wining? Are you a Democrat?

Gots to love the "it's just a cartoon" manuver
                      Some people, such as myself, lump all animation together as cartoons. It's not necessarily a maneuver.

...Seasons 2-4, generally speaking, are the sort of subject matter that the prequels should have been...
                      Such as?

TCW does what many other shows fail to do, grow up. Many of my own fave "real world" shows don't do it either, but the ones that do are the ones I love the most.
                      Define grow up. That's vague, and it doesn't really articulate how this series stands out.

Comment

The clone wars was a big part of SW history in the movies we only see the beginning and end of the clone wars.
                        sigpic

Comment

Understandable, but again, what is the appeal? What does the cartoon deliver that the movies did not?

Comment

Understandable, but again, what is the appeal? What does the cartoon deliver that the movies did not?
                            It delivered what SW1-3 did not, something actually *worth* watching
                            sigpic

Comment

Why?
                              They are not just static "A leads to B leads C", they have consequences, the characters grow, there are wins and losses on both sides and they explore the motivations of the characters more. For example, there is far, far more exploration into what drives Anakin, and why he makes the choices he does, rather than him looking like a pathetic puppet of Palpatine. In the movies, Palpatine zero's in on every one of his weaknesses, yet there is very little explanation as to WHY Anakin has such flaws, it's pretty much left to "he has mommy/abandonment issues". It works for a movie, sure, but not for a series.
                              Given that it's a cartoon, I figured this much.
                              Errr, there is more fighting and dying in TCW than ANY of the movies.
                              Some people, such as myself, lump all animation together as cartoons. It's not necessarily a maneuver.
                              Really?
                              Why do it then?
                              I've seen Anime that absolutley leaves live action movies in the dirt as far as storylines go. If you want to relegate it to "it's just a cartoon", go for it. Do I think people who do that do it are mostly silly because there "reasoning" is "it's a cartoon and cartoons are for kids" are missing out? Hell yeah.
                              Still, whatever floats your boat dude.
                              Define grow up. That's vague, and it doesn't really articulate how this series stands out.
                              Again, the characters evolve. Ahsoka, Anakin's Padawan is a fantastic example of this. She is all "bright eyed and bushy tailed" when the series starts, but as time goes on, she becomes harder and a little more cynical. She also becomes more skilled as a Jedi, more self assured, and more of an "organic" character.
                              If "Character A" of any series is the exact same as "Character A" from 4 years ago, then the character simply does not develop, and even if I like the archetype of the character, they simply will not leave the same kind of an impact a character that has learned and evolved will.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X