The Amazing Spider-Man (2012)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Amazing Spider-Man (2012)

Had a search and was a little surprised there's no existing thread for this.... There's a generic one, but generally fresh film franchises tend to get their own threads Lazy GWers...

Anyway, I found it odd that they were 'rebooting' the film franchise so soon after the last set of movies (even though 3 was so horrendous). At least, I was surprised until I found out that Sony pretty much has to or else they'll lose the film franchise rights to make more movies. Kind of a lame reason to keep putting out movies, isn't it?

Still though, I'm kind of surprised that the trailers for this don't look too bad. Plus, you know, Emma Stone. Drool.

Trailer:

"A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Another trailer, because apparently we can only post one video per post:

"A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

And in news I found most surprising of all so far, the movie's international opening weekend took in more money than The Avengers' international opening weekend

I'm a little stunned by this actually. I wasn't expecting there to be a huge market for a reboot so soon.

Comment

I wasn't too fond of the idea of reboot so soon either, but again, not surprised that a licensing issue was the reason why (just like the new Superman).

I am interested in the new movie, mainly because of Gwen Stacy. I'm interested to see just how close to the original origin they'll keep it, as they've introduced her first than Mary Jane. I have found the newer (not sure if it's the newest) trailers interesting but sadly I'll be at work that day, so no first day release for me since no early previews.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SaberBlade View Post
          I wasn't too fond of the idea of reboot so soon either, but again, not surprised that a licensing issue was the reason why (just like the new Superman).

I am interested in the new movie, mainly because of Gwen Stacy. I'm interested to see just how close to the original origin they'll keep it, as they've introduced her first than Mary Jane. I have found the newer (not sure if it's the newest) trailers interesting but sadly I'll be at work that day, so no first day release for me since no early previews.
          Gwen Stacy came first before Mary Jane. So they got that part right

Comment

I believe that's what SB said, yes

Comment

Is there some common clause that I dont know of? Sounds quite stupid that someone is forced to put out a Reboot just to be able to continue the Story. Not that Spidey wasnt in need of a proper Reboot, but it still seems to be a stupid rule.
              Fuzzy Wuzzy wasnt old,
              Fuzzy Wuzzy gotten bald
              There was Fuzzy no more Wuzzy

Comment

Originally posted by tomstone View Post
                Is there some common clause that I dont know of? Sounds quite stupid that someone is forced to put out a Reboot just to be able to continue the Story. Not that Spidey wasnt in need of a proper Reboot, but it still seems to be a stupid rule.
                It's not a rule, it's the terms of them having the rights to make it. Sony currently has the rights to make Spider-Man films and use Spider-Man characters in their films, even though he's a Marvel character. But if Sony doesn't continue to make films to keep their rights claim alive, the rights to Spider-Man films revert back to Marvel.

So whether it's endless sequels or endless reboots, it's in Sony's financial interest to just keep making Spider-Man movies.

Comment

I don't particularly like super hero movies, and I really didn't like the "new" Spider Man movies, but I'm actually quite excited about this one!
                  My Stargate fan fiction @ FF.net | NEW: When Cassie Calls Teal'c.

Comment

I'm looking forward to seeing this one.
                    sigpic

Comment

Was that really the reason? I thought Marvel just wanted to have a Spiderman that could appear eventually in the Avengers, i'm shocked that this reboot has raked in more than the Avengers though.
                      The world hath known no greater love than this, to give one's life for his friends. John 15:34

The banning of images in SIGs suck.

Comment

I'm not really that surprised. Spider-man is Marvel most well known comic book hero. It doesn't surprise me their is a lot of interest. Before Avengers broke the record the previous Spider-man was the Marvel franchise highest ranker
                        Originally posted by aretood2
                        Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by RJLCyberPunk View Post
                          Was that really the reason? I thought Marvel just wanted to have a Spiderman that could appear eventually in the Avengers, i'm shocked that this reboot has raked in more than the Avengers though.
                          I'd read that the either the original director or producer walked...and when he walked so did the big stars from the cast.

I did find this article that says Tobey Maguire quit Spiderman 4 because of scripting. Nothing is mentioned about licensing.
                          sigpic

Comment

i was shocked when i saw they were remaking these. i really enjoyed the 3 ones, that aren't that old. i personally have no intention of watching this movie. and i can't help but think couldn't they come up with another idea?

or rewrite the fourth movie to get Maguire back.
                            sigpic

Comment

To be honest I am surprise Sony waited so long, Spiderman movie franchise has made hundreds on millions dollars in profits for Sony.

The thing about the licensing been mention in a few places. I suspect the fact Sony needs some big, gurenteed profits for their film division played as part.

Most of the crew on the previous films said they no longer wanted to make new spiderman movies have been part of the reason as well.

I see nothing wrong with them relaunching the series.

Comment

Working...
                              X