PDA

View Full Version : Game of Thrones/ASoIaF Quickfire questions. (spoilers in tags)

slimjim
March 20th, 2012, 11:59 AM
I know their suppose to live in a world where high born boys are given training in swordsmanship and archery from the best teachers from like the age of one..... but still come on. In our world the children of the wealthy are given the best intellectual education..... yet it's not like all our grate scientists are the children of millionaires

Gen. Chris
March 20th, 2012, 01:14 PM
You're comparing apples and oranges. In the world of GoT most of the men need to be at least competent warriors, while children of millionaires can live off of their parents' wealth and be brats about it.

Crazedwraith
March 20th, 2012, 01:18 PM
I'm not buying this theory. Take People like Jaime Lannister, for example. He doesn't worry at all. It's like his primary character trait.

But taking what you meant rather than what you said... I still don't buy it. Most of the noblemen aren't great warriers objectively. But they're not only trained from an early age. They're the only ones with any training at all in the land of the blind the one eyed man is king and all that.

slimjim
March 20th, 2012, 01:32 PM
Most of the noblemen aren't great warriers objectively

John now is a good fighter
Robb Stark is a good fighter
Eddard Stark was a good fighter
Benjen Stark is a good fighter
Robert Baratheon was a good fighter
Jaime Lannister is a good fighter
Khal Drogo is a good fighter
Jorah Mormont is a good fighter
Theon Greyjoy is a good fighter (and attractive & powerful enough not to have to pay for it but that's another issue)

Crazedwraith
March 20th, 2012, 01:41 PM
Wow. All the main characters are good fighters? Who'd a thought it. You missed the objectively there. Yes the main character seem like good fighters mainly because the people they're fighting have had no training.

This is especially the case for Jon, who made mince meat out of the other boys in the night watch because he had training and they were peasant's who'd never seen a sword before.

plus we see noblemen who are not good fighters at all.
Samwell Tarly is not a good fighter.
Tommen Lannnister is not a good fighter.
Wilas Tyrel is not a good fighter.
Renly Baratheon is not a good fighter
Viserys Targaryen is not a good fighter
Aerys Targaryen is not a good fighter

Theon Greyjoy is a good Archer he's not as good at other stuff.

Taking the prequel story 'the hedge knight into account' you can add Daeron and Baleor's son as well who weren't good fighters.

eta: And on your list, Benjen being a good fighter is an assumption since the guy has no action scenes. He's first ranger but why he got that position we don't know. Mormont could just be sucking up to the Stark's who are the most loyal supporters of the Night Watch and since first ranger is a leadership role anyway. Well you can be a good leader without being a good fighter.

And for those of the older generation Robert/Eddard. They lived through a War. If they weren't good fighters they've be dead.

The Mighty 6 platoon
March 20th, 2012, 01:46 PM
Theon Greyjoy is a good fighter (and attractive & powerful enough not to have to pay for it but that's another issue)
That's hardly the best list. Some of those characters were great fighters, like Robert, but certainly aren’t by the time of the series. Others like Robb are competent but not brilliant, he deliberately avoids fighting Jaime Lannister, he knows he'd lose.

More to the point the nobles and knights make up a large number of the best fighters because as noted, they are the only ones who can afford decent equipment and training. If you're a poor peasant you can't hope to match them. Further if the nobles want to hold on to their power, they have to know how to fight, in the case of Drogo, he's Khal because of his strength and skill as a warrior.

That being said, there are plenty of decent fighters who aren’t nobles, Syrio Forel and Bronn could have killed most people on that list, with a couple of exceptions.

slimjim
March 20th, 2012, 02:53 PM
Yes the main character seem like good fighters mainly because the people they're fighting have had no training
yeah no "official training" but still I find in fairly hard to believe Wildlings and violent teen peasants wouldn't have picked up enough stuff from like male relatives an actual experience of things like bar fights that they would be able to at least take one properly trained guy fighting in a group unless he had some damn good natural talent besides

Samwell Tarly is not a good fighter.
Tommen Lannnister is not a good fighter.
Wilas Tyrel is not a good fighter.
Renly Baratheon is not a good fighter
Viserys Targaryen is not a good fighter
Aerys Targaryen is not a good fighter
I'm talking about the TV show not the books, most of those characters either haven't been seen fighting or for all intensive purposes don't exist yet in the TV show's universe. As for Wilas Tyrel and Aerys Targaryen, he's a one of and he spends all his time surrounded by Dothraki so almost any body would appear to suck by comparison

slimjim
March 20th, 2012, 02:57 PM
or am I just reading to much into the moving civilisation on horse back thing?

magictrick
March 20th, 2012, 08:00 PM
All noblemen are trained in sword fighting since they are children. This is mentioned often and shouldn't come as a surprise. The system of governing is similar to the medieval system we know from our history, which also indicates the same thing - nobles and others with money and power were the ones trained in sparring.

I don't get the point of comparison to current times in our world. Its not like Obama became president for his ability to spar with a sword or shoot a gun. That's like asking why we don't burn women at the stake anymore for suspecting they are witches. Times change.

Gatefan1976
March 20th, 2012, 09:56 PM
I would say they are based on the Mongol/Hun civilization yes.

sholva1
March 28th, 2012, 03:31 AM
There are many noblemen, we just see a small fraction.

Gen. Chris
April 1st, 2012, 01:50 PM
There are many noblemen, we just see a small fraction.

Plot skill...Instead of plot armor (not that plot armor matters in this show, from what people have told me)

The Mighty 6 platoon
April 1st, 2012, 04:39 PM
Plot skill...Instead of plot armor (not that plot armor matters in this show, from what people have told me)

Not really, just realism. Nobles and Knights were the closest thing in medieval times to professional soldiers, and in order to keep your holdings you had to be good at fighting. Hell, knights are an entire class of people structured around receiving land in return for service in war.

Ukko
April 2nd, 2012, 06:44 AM
To put it simply...really simply.
If they're not, someone will kill them and take their stuff.

And im pretty sure that if in our world the Camerons were in danger of being attacked and killed by the Millibands, they would have learned early on how to fight.

Gen. Chris
April 2nd, 2012, 08:22 AM
I was joking guys :P

Ser Scot A Ellison
April 6th, 2012, 12:44 PM
slimjim,

I know their suppose to live in a world where high born boys are given training in swordsmanship and archery from the best teachers from like the age of one..... but still come on. In our world the children of the wealthy are given the best intellectual education..... yet it's not like all our grate scientists are the children of millionaires

You mean like Samwell Tarly? He's a nobleman. But of course he's an awesome warrior too.

;)

slimjim
April 28th, 2012, 05:23 AM
I was annoyed that little finger found out about Tyrion's deception before he set of for the Iron islands, I wanted to find out how Theon would take the proposal?

Ukko
April 28th, 2012, 05:43 AM
It wasnt a real proposal (book folk correct if wrong). Tyrion was just trying to find out who was spying for the queen. So he told different proposal stories to each to see which one would tell her.

slimjim
April 28th, 2012, 06:10 AM
It wasnt a real proposal (book folk correct if wrong). Tyrion was just trying to find out who was spying for the queen. So he told different proposal stories to each to see which one would tell her.
I know, I still wanted to see how Tyrion would react before he found that out

Gen. Chris
April 29th, 2012, 11:55 AM
Slim, why don't you just create a thread for all your questions rather than make a thread for each one of them?

slimjim
April 29th, 2012, 01:47 PM
Slim, why don't you just create a thread for all your questions rather than make a thread for each one of them?
because I don't think of them all at once and they'd each get less attention if I did that

slimjim
May 3rd, 2012, 10:50 AM
I honestly can't tell if it's suppose to be romantic or platonic?

Shylodog
May 3rd, 2012, 11:17 AM
We could tell you from how it was explained in the books, but you'll just shrug it off and say it doesn't count because it's from the books and not the show.

slimjim
May 3rd, 2012, 01:06 PM
We could tell you from how it was explained in the books, but you'll just shrug it off and say it doesn't count because it's from the books and not the show.

you don't get credit for things you don't put in your show

Crazedwraith
May 3rd, 2012, 01:26 PM
Then why ask the question. You've seen the show, make up your own mind.

For the record, she fancies the pants off him.

slimjim
May 3rd, 2012, 01:51 PM
Then why ask the question. You've seen the show, make up your own mind.

For the record, she fancies the pants off him.
Well that's just great, now I feel like a sexist for assuming a butch women wouldn't be in love with a man

Skydiver
May 3rd, 2012, 05:24 PM
it's great not grate (a grate is a metal structure over a hole or opening)

and yeah, we can tell you what's in the book but if all that counts for you is what you see on the show then it really does no good for us to tell you. I suggest you make up your own mind or get and read the books if you want more insight.

mr_kennedy
May 3rd, 2012, 07:33 PM
I was curious too, but i'd rather find out by watching the show :)

Shylodog
May 3rd, 2012, 10:15 PM
My point is this: the books are not fan fiction. The show is based (and not all that loosely) on the books. If someone chooses not to read the books and relies completely on the show for the source material, then the answers they seek to these types of questions will never hold any merit to them. Therefore, there is no reason to answer them. If you're asking the question, then you're seeking another's wisdom on the subject. Those of us who have read the books know the answers - or at least generally agree on what the answer should be.

Saying the books are not a valid source is like saying that scenes in the bonus material which expand on the back story that were clipped due to time and budgetary constraints are not valid. Also, if a director mentions in the DVD bonus material what his intentions were with a scene or collection if scenes, do you summarily dismiss him because that point didn't get across to you on-screen?

The show is so close to the actual source material that if a question is asked, the answer given by those of us who have read it should suffice without it turning into a troll-fest. The alternative is that we simply ignore your questions because we assume you'll never accept the answer.

Skydiver
May 4th, 2012, 03:18 AM
Don't ask the question if you don't want to hear the answer. People answering the question then getting argued with and told 'no, that wasn't in the show so it doesn't count'....beyond frustrating.

I know there are people watching that haven't read the books. I was one of them last year. And I know this by reading predictions of who'll survive to the end that contain characters I know are dead in the books :)

the books will ALWAYS contain more info than the show. Always. there is insight and 'behind the scenes' info that's written into the thousands of pages that'll never make it onto the show. On the other end, we've started to see scenes in the show that weren't in the book. And we've seen and likely will continue to see scenes that were written from one character's POV in the book that are written differently for the show. Artistic license.

Just why ask the question if all you seem to really want to do is argue about the answer.

slimjim
May 5th, 2012, 05:59 AM
My point is this: the books are not fan fiction. The show is based (and not all that loosely) on the books. If someone chooses not to read the books and relies completely on the show for the source material, then the answers they seek to these types of questions will never hold any merit to them. Therefore, there is no reason to answer them. If you're asking the question, then you're seeking another's wisdom on the subject. Those of us who have read the books know the answers - or at least generally agree on what the answer should be.
I actually asked because I have really bad gaydar

Saying the books are not a valid source is like saying that scenes in the bonus material which expand on the back story that were clipped due to time and budgetary constraints are not valid. Also, if a director mentions in the DVD bonus material what his intentions were with a scene or collection if scenes, do you summarily dismiss him because that point didn't get across to you on-screen?
yes I do disregard both of those things

The show is so close to the actual source material that if a question is asked, the answer given by those of us who have read it should suffice without it turning into a troll-fest. The alternative is that we simply ignore your questions because we assume you'll never accept the answer.
there similar but not identical

Lunaeclipse
May 9th, 2012, 06:32 PM
..."The Dothraki are a bit of a cross between the Mongols and some of the Native American tribes..." - (Special Features) Game of Thrones: Creating the Dothraki Language

Lunaeclipse
May 13th, 2012, 05:36 PM

From what I understand George RR Martin is quite involved in the show. He even did one of the commentaries... and I just looked it up....

George R.R. Martin Co-Executive Producer

http://www.hbo.com/game-of-thrones/index.html#/game-of-thrones/cast-and-crew/index.html

Skydiver
May 13th, 2012, 05:39 PM
He's even writing one of the episodes for the 3rd season, so yes, very involved.

Lunaeclipse
May 13th, 2012, 05:45 PM
He's even writing one of the episodes for the 3rd season, so yes, very involved.

I think he said he wrote the ep he did the commentary for...which is one of the last season one eps...

Shylodog
May 13th, 2012, 09:20 PM
From what I understand George RR Martin is quite involved in the show. He even did one of the commentaries... and I just looked it up....

George R.R. Martin Co-Executive Producer

http://www.hbo.com/game-of-thrones/index.html#/game-of-thrones/cast-and-crew/index.html

I know that, and you know that. However slimjim doesn't want info gleaned from any source other than the show. He/she refuses to accept it and said as much on other threads. *shrug*

Lunaeclipse
May 14th, 2012, 05:07 PM
I know that, and you know that. However slimjim doesn't want info gleaned from any source other than the show. He/she refuses to accept it and said as much on other threads. *shrug*

...but the show was gleaned from the book...

Skydiver
May 14th, 2012, 05:42 PM
You know that, I know that...but to mangle Jamie from Mythbusters....I reject your reality and insert my own.

slimjim
May 16th, 2012, 04:54 AM
It’s not a bad thing it’s just that there’s something about his appearance and his mannerisms that puts me in mind of films like say..... A Clockwork Orange or Scum

The Mighty 6 platoon
May 16th, 2012, 05:34 AM
Well Alfie Allen looks a bit like a young Malcolm McDowell.

slimjim
May 16th, 2012, 09:00 AM
Well Alfie Allen looks a bit like a young Malcolm McDowell.
he smiles in the same way too

Lunaeclipse
May 20th, 2012, 01:50 PM
Because focusing on the ones that aren't has the possibility of being a very short book...

g.o.d
May 21st, 2012, 06:59 AM

there are better warriors than those you've mentioned. Theon is a good archer, but that's all and I wouldn't call Robb a good fighter, perhaps a modest one. Don't know if you've read books, but there are really many better warriors. And I'm not so sure about Ned

slimjim
May 21st, 2012, 07:44 AM
there are better warriors than those you've mentioned. Theon is a good archer, but that's all and I wouldn't call Robb a good fighter, perhaps a modest one. Don't know if you've read books, but there are really many better warriors. And I'm not so sure about Ned

generally in period pieces and fantasy things made these days they have all the high born worriers being crap with the implication being the only gained their position because of family, where as all the low born worriers are good the implication being they gained their position though merit alone. Game of thrones is distinct in that it takes a middle ground of having the high born worriers be good but not brilliant, it’s occurred to me since originally posting this tread that that’s probably pretty realistic.... I mean if I say decided to study martial a few several hours a day I’d probably never be able to best Bruce lee but I’d still end up reasonably skilled with in sevral years

g.o.d
May 21st, 2012, 07:58 AM
Jaqen H'ghar is probably the best "warrior". I wouldn't call him a warrior, but he's capable of killing practically every man/woman. And he's not a nobleman.

slimjim
May 30th, 2012, 11:42 AM
if it's suppose to be family money why would his farther give it to it him if he hates him so much?

Gen. Chris
May 30th, 2012, 03:11 PM
As both Tyrion and even Tywin have said, he's a Lannister.

Really all the explanation that needs be said.

slimjim
May 30th, 2012, 04:17 PM
As both Tyrion and even Tywin have said, he's a Lannister.

Really all the explanation that needs be said.
so his father gives him money to spare the family the embarrassment of one of their number being seen doing poor people stuff?

slimjim
May 30th, 2012, 04:21 PM
Alton Lannister

slimjim
May 30th, 2012, 04:26 PM
if they are all that rich there's something a bit off about Alton Lannister, he came of as far to humble to be someone who could buy almost anything on a whim?

Cold Fuzz
May 30th, 2012, 04:27 PM
Not every Lannister has blonde hair. That and Alton Lannister isn't with the main branch of the Lannister family--the ones from Casterly Rock. Alton Lannister is supposed to be from from the ones at Lannisport. Reginald Lannister, another Lannister from Lannisport, appeared in The Ghost of Harrenhal and has brown hair.

slimjim
May 30th, 2012, 04:30 PM
how does a family end up with more then one branch if only the eldest son inherits?

Brother Freyr
May 30th, 2012, 04:53 PM
how does a family end up with more then one branch if only the eldest son inherits?

The Lannisters and Starks follow the same rules of inheritance. Excess sons (usually) marry to other noble houses, or rather their wives join the Stark house. Not sure what you mean about the Lannisters having many branches or the Starks only one. The Starks have relatives in the other houses. Heck, the Karstarks are a separate noble house descended (originally) from the Starks.

Gen. Chris
May 30th, 2012, 06:42 PM
I don't know...Why doesn't Renly have red hair?

Shylodog
May 30th, 2012, 08:24 PM
so his father gives him money to spare the family the embarrassment of one of their number being seen doing poor people stuff?

Yep. That is exactly why.

Gen. Chris
May 30th, 2012, 09:13 PM
Perhaps it is done so you have another thing to question? GRRM is devious in that way...

I mean look at him...Can't you tell he's out to get you?

Cold Fuzz
May 30th, 2012, 09:25 PM
Perhaps it is done so you have another thing to question? GRRM is devious in that way...

I mean look at him...Can't you tell he's out to get you?

I knew GRRM was fond of seafood but with that equipment, it looks like he's about to subdue and devour a lobster. :lol:

*getting hungry* I've had lobster once in the past 10 years. When I have the opportunity, I need to change this.

Gen. Chris
May 30th, 2012, 09:29 PM
I knew GRRM was fond of seafood but with that equipment, it looks like he's about to subdue and devour a lobster. :lol:

*getting hungry* I've had lobster once in the past 10 years. When I have the opportunity, I need to change this.

He's actually eating the questions of slim. They sustain him.

(lobster is good...haven't had it in a great while though)

Cold Fuzz
May 30th, 2012, 09:59 PM
He's actually eating the questions of slim. They sustain him.

(lobster is good...haven't had it in a great while though)

:lol: I think GRRM would enjoy feasting on the questions.

(I am very fond of seafood, especially shrimp or clam chowder. I'd have lobster more often but the damn thing's just too expensive)

Gen. Chris
May 30th, 2012, 10:17 PM
Crab, clams, oysters (ever had an oyster shooter?) clam chowder, lobster, sushi (eel is DELICIOUS), octopus and squid...Pretty much anything seafood related, I love it.

And now that this thread has been derailed...I want fish

Cold Fuzz
May 30th, 2012, 10:29 PM
Crab, clams, oysters (ever had an oyster shooter?) clam chowder, lobster, sushi (eel is DELICIOUS), octopus and squid...Pretty much anything seafood related, I love it.

And now that this thread has been derailed...I want fish

You're going to love this particular recipe and the accompanying website. :D

http://www.innatthecrossroads.com/2012/04/09/guest-post-from-outlander-kitchen/

This website features various meals in GRRM's books. This meal in particular was created with Davos in mind. As a fan of seafood and chowder, just looking at this seafood chowder is making my mouth water. :D

Skydiver
May 30th, 2012, 10:55 PM
ahem....topic please :)

(And for the record, I hate seafood. Fried shrimp, clams,sure. anything else just tastes bad. I want my food to have had hooves)

slimjim
June 5th, 2012, 10:48 AM
I assumed it was meant to be several months like season 1 but then I noticed that Arya's hair hadn't grown back out at all well watching the season final just now

slimjim
June 21st, 2012, 11:16 AM
she comes a cross as so Tomboy that I can only imagine that being made to live the restricted existence of a high born lady in a medieval society must have been destroying her
EDIT: as oppose to just getting on her nerves

Starsaber
June 21st, 2012, 11:44 AM

It's probably a lot more likely that younger Stark sons join the Night's Watch (like Ben did), as opposed to Lannisters, who would marry the daughters of other nobles to tie their families together.

Ukko
June 21st, 2012, 11:59 AM

The eldest sons in direct line inherit. Children of younger sons become the other branches. The clue is in the word branch. Its like a tree, you have the main branch, the "trunk" from which many other branches spring.

P-90_177
June 21st, 2012, 12:07 PM
she comes a cross as so Tomboy that I can only imagine that being made to live the restricted existence of a high born lady in a medieval society must have been destroying her
EDIT: as oppose to just getting on her nerves

Based on the first few episodes she still came across as a bit of a rebel, so no matter what her family tried to teach her I'm sure she never had any intention of living like just another high born girl.

slimjim
June 21st, 2012, 01:21 PM
Based on the first few episodes she still came across as a bit of a rebel, so no matter what her family tried to teach her I'm sure she never had any intention of living like just another high born girl.
what way out could she possibly imagine?

Brother Freyr
June 21st, 2012, 08:34 PM

I don't know about "destroying" her, but both book and series portray her as chaffing against the gender role imposed upon her. I doubt anyone disagrees that Arya is (often) bored and (sometimes) miserable when the series begins, yet she's also young enough to be allowed a measure of freedom from "ladylike" behavior. The restrictions would have increased as she grew older.

Cold Fuzz
June 21st, 2012, 09:20 PM

In the books, Ned himself compared Arya to her aunt Lyanna in both personality and appearance. Lyanna was very spirited and tomboyish but quite beautiful too. She was also excellent in riding horses, a quality certainly uncharacteristic of the women in Westerosi culture.

I don't know about "destroying" her, but both book and series portray her as chaffing against the gender role imposed upon her. I doubt anyone disagrees that Arya is (often) bored and (sometimes) miserable when the series begins, yet she's also young enough to be allowed a measure of freedom from "ladylike" behavior. The restrictions would have increased as she grew older.

Had peace been maintained in Westeros, I think Arya would have turned out much like her aunt Lyanna. Thing is, Lyanna and Brandon (Arya's uncle) both had really fiery personalities, which contributed to their early deaths. Hopefully, that won't be the case for Arya since she's one of the more intriguing characters.

Gen. Chris
June 21st, 2012, 09:54 PM
I would make the argument that both bored and miserable are too harsh of terms.

She's the youngest girl, living in the shadow of her older sister and older brothers. She's somewhat of an outcast in numerous ways. I wouldn't say she was bored, but I wouldn't say no to her life getting considerably more interesting with the finding of the direwolves and her journey south.

Miserable, though? Hardly. She's a highborn girl who has practically everything a highborn girl could want, she just isn't interested in them. She suffers from what I would like to call, Highborn-Problems.

Brother Freyr
June 22nd, 2012, 01:20 AM
I would make the argument that both bored and miserable are too harsh of terms.In the book, she's clearly bored when forced to participate in activities like the girls' sewing circle. Miserable I'll give to you. ;) I wasn't attaching much emotional weight to the word, but yeah, misery is too strong a description.

slimjim
June 22nd, 2012, 03:00 AM
Miserable, though? Hardly. She's a highborn girl who has practically everything a highborn girl could want, she just isn't interested in them. She suffers from what I would like to call, Highborn-Problems.
how does being given everything you don't want make you not Miserable

Brother Freyr
June 22nd, 2012, 04:27 PM
The fact is, her parents are lenient with her. She's mostly allowed to be the wild child that she is. She's occasionally forced to curtsy or spend an hour sewing. Boring? Yeah. Miserable? Nah.

misery (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/misery):

wretchedness of condition or circumstances.
distress or suffering caused by need, privation, or poverty.
great mental or emotional distress; extreme unhappiness.

wretchedness (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/wretchedness):

very unfortunate in condition or circumstances; miserable; pitiable.
characterized by or attended with misery and sorrow.
despicable, contemptible, or mean
poor, sorry, or pitiful; worthless

Empress Vajnraa
June 23rd, 2012, 03:30 AM
You know that, I know that...but to mangle Jamie from Mythbusters....I reject your reality and insert my own.

Adam said that, not Jamie. And the quote is "I reject your reality and substitute my own." :D lol, sorry couldn't resist.

I figured that she liked him when she cried over his body.
Rampant speculation:
I believe her rough, man-like appearance was something she pursued to have because she knew of Renly's orientation. Then again, I don't read the books so idk... ;_;

Ukko
June 23rd, 2012, 03:37 AM
A place to ask all the little questions we may have so as not to clog up the entire folder with unnecessary threads for each one.

Same spoiler rules apply. Book stuff beyond what we have seen in the show in tags please.:)

Skydiver
June 23rd, 2012, 03:42 AM
Great idea Ukko.
The first few pages may be a bit cluttered, but from here on out it should get easier.

Ukko
June 23rd, 2012, 03:43 AM
Great idea Ukko.
The first few pages may be a bit cluttered, but from here on out it should get easier.

Thank you.:D

slimjim
June 27th, 2012, 06:22 AM
I don't see why it would be any harder then masturbating?

Ukko
June 27th, 2012, 06:40 AM
http://forum.gateworld.net/threads/85213-Game-of-Thrones-ASoIaF-Quickfire-questions-%28spoilers-in-tags%29?p=13394392&viewfull=1#post13394392

The Mighty 6 platoon
June 27th, 2012, 07:17 AM

Ah slimjim, always asking the most tasteful questions.

Bagpuss
June 27th, 2012, 07:34 AM
Adult-related shows with adult-rateable themes/arcs aren't always condusive to being and remaining GW-friendly ,so any discussion of the latest question posted by slimjim needs to be kept as PG as possible.

I don't think this thread needs to turn into a remake of the Help-yourself-to-please-yourself books available in some stores.;)

slimjim
June 27th, 2012, 08:38 AM
I can understand it the other way around, strait people are conditioned by society to find the idea of sleeping with a member of there own sex revolting (as oppose to just uninteresting). Gay people have should have no such mental constraints

Bagpuss
June 27th, 2012, 08:46 AM
Don't make presumptions about GLBT people or throw in oft-disproven stereotypes,Jim.

That inevitably leads to derailments because of the offence taken by others.

Keep it to the Characters,and you'll stay within the rules.:)

Gen. Chris
June 27th, 2012, 09:43 AM
...When the hell did the topic turn to masturbation? :confused:

Brother Freyr
June 27th, 2012, 09:44 AM
Ah slimjim, I almost greened you for making me laugh out loud. Almost.

slimjim
June 27th, 2012, 10:10 AM
...When the hell did the topic turn to masturbation? :confused:]
I was trying to start a debate about sexuality and psychology, not masturbation

Gen. Chris
June 27th, 2012, 11:44 AM
In Game of Thrones? Why?

Bagpuss
June 27th, 2012, 11:58 AM
See my post about derailment.

Take it to pm/e-mail with each other or use your Ignore Lists ,guys, if you're going to have a tiff.

Skydiver
June 27th, 2012, 03:47 PM
We have no way of knowing that Renley 'never' slept with Margery. he probably did, but I think the issue was that he didn't do it often enough. Her goal was to conceive the heir, and despite what they put in soap operas and romance novels, it doesn't always work the first time. the timing quite literally has to be just right - most females only have a 1-3 day window each month when they have the potential to conceive, so the act must be done in that window and a bunch of other things have to go right too.

yes, it can only take once, but it can also take many times. With some couples never able to conceive either due to an issue with her or him or sometimes a simple incompatibility between them - some eggs and sperm just refuse to fertilize.

For all we know, Margery wasn't fertile, or maybe he wasn't.

As I got from the scene, her issue wasn't 'you never sleep with me' it was 'we need to get pregnant and we need to keep at it until we do, whether you like it or not'

In the day and age of arranged marriage it was quite common for the husband and wife to only copulate to get her pregnant, and once she was pregnant, he'd happily go off to the mistress and leave her be, usually until the appropriate amount of time after the birth when they'd again try to make an heir. And it was also quite normal for them to only keep having children until they had the minimum 'heir and a spare'....have two sons and you can stop, keep having girls and they keep trying.

Renley obviously enjoyed himself more with his boyfriends and Margery was trying to remind him of his duty ' I know I don't appeal but man up and get the job done for the good of the kingdom'

slimjim
July 11th, 2012, 06:34 AM
like if he where taken to The Hague?

Gatefan1976
July 11th, 2012, 06:37 AM
War Crimes
Crimes against Humanity

I would say treason, but that was more Cercei and Jamie.

slimjim
July 11th, 2012, 06:49 AM
War Crimes
Crimes against Humanity

I would say treason, but that was more Cercei and Jamie.
what are his "Crimes against Humanity"?

Gatefan1976
July 11th, 2012, 06:57 AM
what are his "Crimes against Humanity"?
shooting peasants with his crossbow for the crime of starving???

slimjim
July 11th, 2012, 07:39 AM
shooting peasants with his crossbow for the crime of starving???
is that just in the book because I don't remember seeing it on screen

Gatefan1976
July 11th, 2012, 07:52 AM
is that just in the book because I don't remember seeing it on screen

Quite possibly dude :)

Ukko
July 11th, 2012, 08:52 AM
There is a specific thread for all these questions.......

slimjim
July 11th, 2012, 09:09 AM
I forgot

Gen. Chris
September 17th, 2012, 01:03 AM
Where'd slim go????? Lol

Bagpuss
September 17th, 2012, 01:10 AM
Where would you go if other members were constantly mocking and reporting you ?

Back to questions about Game of Thrones guys.That's what this thread is for.

Thank you.:)