No announcement yet.

why doesn't technology seem to advance at all in the Alien universe over time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

why doesn't technology seem to advance at all in the Alien universe over time

I couldn't see any way the tech in Resurrection was any more or less advanced then the stuff in first movie even though they take place 258 years apart
    Last edited by slimjim; 22 June 2012, 05:48 AM.

The Alien films were attempting to portray a realistic future. Besides, we haven't seen that much of the future. In Alien, we see a cargo ship. In Aliens, we see an Earth space station, a military ship, and a failed colony. In Alien 3, a closed down prison with a janitorial staff. In Resurrection, again, a military ship. What did you expect to be different?

Comment

Originally posted by Snowman37 View Post
      The Alien films were attempting to portray a realistic future. Besides, we haven't seen that much of the future. In Alien, we see a cargo ship. In Aliens, we see an Earth space station, a military ship, and a failed colony. In Alien 3, a closed down prison with a janitorial staff. In Resurrection, again, a military ship. What did you expect to be different?
      the computer tech

Comment

If it works for what it was designed for, there's no need to upgrade and introduce more potential problems...
        sigpic

Comment

While i don't know how fast travel is in the ALIEN universe, realistically starships won't change a whole lot when they're out there, considering the huge time gaps for realistic travel

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
            While i don't know how fast travel is in the ALIEN universe, realistically starships won't change a whole lot when they're out there, considering the huge time gaps for realistic travel
            they have faster then light travel in the alien universe

Comment

Originally posted by maneth View Post
              If it works for what it was designed for, there's no need to upgrade and introduce more potential problems...
              we upgrade things that already work to make them more convenient and efficient

Comment

Yeah. But AFAIK the space shuttle nav computers used 386 processors until they were decommissioned, because the tech was known to work and less vulnerable to radiation. Using technology that's known to work is a big advantage when there's no way for you to reach the nearest person who can fix the problem. I suspect convenience and "efficiency" won't weigh very heavily in the balance then.
                sigpic

Comment

Modern Warships use Windows 2000, not because its better but because it takes so ‘fricken’ long to design , integrate, contract, budget and build them..... that in the mean time computer tech has raced ahead since then. Since the computers have to be hard wired into the weapons systems for various shock and vibration issues upgrading them to the next gen requires complete rebuilds. and since the Weapons system and the C3C system represents 90% of the weapons cost rebuilding to higher tech is almost as expensive as building a new weapon system altogether.

This means tinkering with the design is very limited unless there is a dire need involved , like a hot war or serious cold war.
                  SGU. Best Sci-fi show to come along in decades.

Comment

Lack of imagination and or not wanting to make stuff that outclassed the Aliens too badly maybe?
                    I like Sharky
                    sigpic

Comment

Working...
                    X