• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Price of Greatness (209)

Visit the Episode GuideFALLING SKIES SEASON TWO
    THE PRICE OF GREATNESS
    EPISODE NUMBER - 209
    Tom and the 2nd Mass receive a warm welcome at their last bastion of hope, led by Tom's former mentor -- but soon realize that he is more interested in shoring up his political power than taking the fight to the enemy.

VISIT THE EPISODE GUIDE >>
    Last edited by GateWorld; 04 May 2013, 08:55 PM.

Wow, still watching. Just saw one of the berzerker's get shot in the weapon cache room.

Loving the episode so far. Some good points like Hal needing to put the ego aside and earn their trust.

Edit:

Oh gosh a de-harnessed kid with a message for Tom Mason...Ben? The girl from last week? A new kid? Oh boy.

I liked the speech of Tom Mason and that Manchester reference other speakers than little Weaver. But I can't help but see the convenience of her talking and then Tom Mason, we didn't see any of the other speakers.

Also, Tom has talked with the Overlord and it said/claim they didn't want to wipe out the humans. The Overlord wanted them to be in their own settlement. Could Ben have a message that says Manchester is in cohorts with the aliens?

EDIT2:

When did Pope have a vendetta against Tom? Did it become personal when Tom beat the snot out of him?
    Last edited by Mrja84; 12 August 2012, 05:53 PM.

Comment

Damn this is one heck of an episode. I have a feeling that this is going to end on a cliffhanger. Though This Manchester guy is way too paranoid.

Comment

Enjoyed this episode.

Good to see Weaver finding his daughter. But I felt their reunion was a tiny bit lukewarm. I know Weaver isn't as emotional as Tom Mason, but it seemed to me that he was somewhat detached in greeting his daughter. Everyone reacts differently, I know.

Loved Hal's little speech to Maggie. It made a lot of sense, even if he did rehearse it a little bit.

Interesting little speech by Pope about being the one to knock Tom off his so-called pedestal. I wonder if that was just a little speech to put off Manchester.

Didn't much care for Manchester at all. Seemed too sure of himself, a little oily and weasely to me. As though he didn't have any sort of grasp on the reality of the situation.

So happy the general turned on Manchester and let the 2d Mass go.

Comment

I can't wait for next week's episode. Though the 10 month hiatus is really going to be hard. I haven't been this excited for a tv show to come back since the SG-1 and Atlantis days.

Comment

I wonder though, is a military lead government better than before? Is there going to be a long road back to civil government?

Manchester didn't seem oily. Maybe afraid of the concept of war. He's a smart man, but I think his fear was overriding his decisions.

The Overlord at the beginning of the season told Tom he would lead people to a settlement. While it doesn't look to be alien controlled, the aliens did claim to have the ability to see paths into the future.

Maybe they meant Charleston, maybe the season finale will have the so called meeting with Red Eye to be a trap and lead to Charleston to be sealed and controlled like the Cylons did to New Caprica.

Comment

Originally posted by Lt.Colonel John Sheppard View Post
              I can't wait for next week's episode. Though the 10 month hiatus is really going to be hard. I haven't been this excited for a tv show to come back since the SG-1 and Atlantis days.
              Ten months????

Comment

Originally posted by hedwig View Post
                Ten months????
                Yeah. This season started in June and ends in august so depending if that's goin to be the norm then yeah 10 months.

Comment

Originally posted by Lt.Colonel John Sheppard View Post
                  Yeah. This season started in June and ends in august so depending if that's goin to be the norm then yeah 10 months.
                  But we still have that one episode left!

Comment

My major concern with Manchester is that..."absolute power, corrupts absolutely". No one person runs a government that is "by the people, for the people". Our President appoints members to his cabinet and then attempts to work with them. Manchester proved to me that he is not capable of this necessary action. Handing control over to the military without counsel is as unwise as not permitting the military to do the job they were trained to do. The most intelligent statement made came from Pope....A Coup....indeed. See following link.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coup_d'%C3%A9tat

Pope I think is the man to watch. He is shall we say, a very colorful chameleon indeed. That was no Junior College vocabulary he was using when chatting with Manchester. Just because a person walks on the wild-side with thugs, and the dangerous uneducated element, doesn't mean he is a charter member. He also impressed me with his cool no nonsense and direct demeanor when face to face with the man who would be crowned Emperor King. I can honor a person that will tell me they do not like me for what ever reason, but will not sell me out to the highest bidder for a few pounds of what ever is on the table. Manchester on the other hand having approached Pope, who by is own admission he has no respect for, was willing to sink to any level to get something on Tom. Mason may not know this, but it is looking like the best person to align himself with is not his former hero.
                    sigpic

Comment

Another good episode.

I agree and disagree with Manchester yes they must try to keep Charleston away from the enemy an a secrete, it a great resource to have and to keep the troops fresh and supplied, but that not neccessary exclude allowing the 2nd Mass and Charleston own forces from striking at the enemy. But I think Manchester is hiding a secrete. Also he may have more support than we have currently seen.

Spoiler:
                      it look like he back running the place next episode in the preview

I got a feeling Weaver daughter will end up playing a role in these power games. An I would not be surprise if by the end of the next episode or the beginning of next season Tom, Weaver, and Porter have taken command of Charleston military, and a new civilian leadership built around Jeanne Weaver , if Charleston survives the next episode.

Pope has always been the chameleon and he can pretend to be dumb with the best of them. why he smart, witty and intelligence, he as tactically an politically and even socially inept as Manchester and cant rely on support from his own people. An for all his talk, he actually does like the 2nd Mass, especially Ben and Jimmy (now dead, sadly) , but Weaver and Tom and the rest as well.

It will be interesting to see how Tector and the rest of the 2nd Mass will interact with each other, as he just shot/killed one of there own.

But if a underground shopping Mall went undetected one got to wonder if there are other military underground complexes that went undetected or if underground train systems in New York and London are intact. Could make for an interesting story or two.

I hope something terrible happens to that doctor.

Surprise there was no mention of Churchill during the episode, it does not seem like something Manchester would order or General Bressler and Porter while he has his own support base does not seem to have the clout to order the mission himself. An may be it was just dodgy props but there was no other rebels groups located/pin pointed on the maps either, she said Charleston was in contact with groups across the country and across the world.

Comment

This episode was great from start to finish. It will be interesting to see what comes about because of this coup.
                        sigpic
                        MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                        "...phu...ah..."
                        "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                        Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Originally posted by Mrja84 View Post
                          EDIT2:

When did Pope have a vendetta against Tom? Did it become personal when Tom beat the snot out of him?
                          I think Pope's vendetta against Tom came in full swing in the beginning of this season when Tom came back...he didn't trust Tom after Tom voluntarily went into the Alien space craft and then when he came back with a bug in his eye; he felt that made Tom a liability and didn't understand why people still trusted and followed Tom. Pope's had all season to stew about Tom and I am sure if not at the end of this season, then in season 3, we will see things escalate between Tom and Pope.
                          sigpic

www.facebook.com/pages/DavidNyklFans/402742713123717

Comment

Originally posted by Lady Midnight View Post
                            My major concern with Manchester is that..."absolute power, corrupts absolutely". No one person runs a government that is "by the people, for the people". Our President appoints members to his cabinet and then attempts to work with them. Manchester proved to me that he is not capable of this necessary action. Handing control over to the military without counsel is as unwise as not permitting the military to do the job they were trained to do. The most intelligent statement made came from Pope....A Coup....indeed. See following link.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coup_d'%C3%A9tat

Pope I think is the man to watch. He is shall we say, a very colorful chameleon indeed. That was no Junior College vocabulary he was using when chatting with Manchester. Just because a person walks on the wild-side with thugs, and the dangerous uneducated element, doesn't mean he is a charter member. He also impressed me with his cool no nonsense and direct demeanor when face to face with the man who would be crowned Emperor King. I can honor a person that will tell me they do not like me for what ever reason, but will not sell me out to the highest bidder for a few pounds of what ever is on the table. Manchester on the other hand having approached Pope, who by is own admission he has no respect for, was willing to sink to any level to get something on Tom. Mason may not know this, but it is looking like the best person to align himself with is not his former hero.
                            What show have you been watching? Do recall, when we first met Pope he was enjoying having a talk with Tom since his gang (before they got killed) didn't really have anyone he could talk with on the level of an educated man like Tom Mason. Not to mention he is an adept chef (further seen by the way he savored the meal Manchester gave him and didn't just dig in.

I highly doubt Pope will get Tom and the others out of the middle of that coup. More than likely, Pope may see an opportunity next week to finally take Tom off his pedestal what with him meeting with skitters and all.

Originally posted by Rosehawk View Post
                            I think Pope's vendetta against Tom came in full swing in the beginning of this season when Tom came back...he didn't trust Tom after Tom voluntarily went into the Alien space craft and then when he came back with a bug in his eye; he felt that made Tom a liability and didn't understand why people still trusted and followed Tom. Pope's had all season to stew about Tom and I am sure if not at the end of this season, then in season 3, we will see things escalate between Tom and Pope.
                            But Tom also beat the snot out of him when Pope took Jimmy's compass. After that he seemed to have stopped his belly-aching. Pope fairly got along with Tom last year. I do think the unanswered questions of what all took place in the spaceship will be a pivotal moment between the two.

Originally posted by knowles2 View Post
                            Another good episode.

I agree and disagree with Manchester yes they must try to keep Charleston away from the enemy an a secrete, it a great resource to have and to keep the troops fresh and supplied, but that not neccessary exclude allowing the 2nd Mass and Charleston own forces from striking at the enemy. But I think Manchester is hiding a secrete. Also he may have more support than we have currently seen.

I got a feeling Weaver daughter will end up playing a role in these power games. An I would not be surprise if by the end of the next episode or the beginning of next season Tom, Weaver, and Porter have taken command of Charleston military, and a new civilian leadership built around Jeanne Weaver , if Charleston survives the next episode.

Pope has always been the chameleon and he can pretend to be dumb with the best of them. why he smart, witty and intelligence, he as tactically an politically and even socially inept as Manchester and cant rely on support from his own people. An for all his talk, he actually does like the 2nd Mass, especially Ben and Jimmy (now dead, sadly) , but Weaver and Tom and the rest as well.

It will be interesting to see how Tector and the rest of the 2nd Mass will interact with each other, as he just shot/killed one of there own.

But if a underground shopping Mall went undetected one got to wonder if there are other military underground complexes that went undetected or if underground train systems in New York and London are intact. Could make for an interesting story or two.

I hope something terrible happens to that doctor.

Surprise there was no mention of Churchill during the episode, it does not seem like something Manchester would order or General Bressler and Porter while he has his own support base does not seem to have the clout to order the mission himself. An may be it was just dodgy props but there was no other rebels groups located/pin pointed on the maps either, she said Charleston was in contact with groups across the country and across the world.
                            I think Pope wasn't too fond of Ben being a harnessed kid. He sure didn't mind grabbing Jimmy's stuff when he died. So Pope is a practical person, but I think he just likes having the chances to hurt the enemy, but overall doesn't care about the 2nd Mass as a whole.

He's not dead, just shot him when the guy went for a gun. The Sergeant even said he would go to the medical center. The Berzerkers won't be too happy, but other 2nd Mass personnel won't mind.

Yeah, Churchhill was missing, but they had a lot of ground to cover. I would be surprised if we never saw her again or heard from her.

Comment

Great episode. I like all the Charleston storyline. Although I wished the President had more support (on screen) among the Charleston population so they don't make him turn like an evil dictator. More gray area please. His point of view is defensible. Maybe more in the: "let's get our footing, repopulate a bit, build weapons and stuff a bit, then in a few years we can attack the aliens" way. The case was presented with not enough gray area making the moral decision too easy for our group.
                              Currently watching: Dark Matter, 12 Monkeys, Doctor Who, Under the Dome, The Mentalist, The Messengers, The Last Ship, Elementary, Dominion, The Whispers, Extant, Olympus, Da Vinci's Demons, Vikings

Comment

Working...
                              X