Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

is this a good idea for the premise of a SciFi show? (1)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

is this a good idea for the premise of a SciFi show? (1)

OK so basically my idea that in 2021 an English cruise ship docked of the coast of India suddenly gets pulled into some kind Primeval style hole in space in the water that deposits them in a lake on an alien planet. Before the ship sinks they all pile into the life rafts and get to sore where they eventually set up a small colony farming the giant flightless birds and pygmy elephants native to the planet (sea birds and Indian elephants being the only other animals to be pulled through to this planet on past portal openings).
    Eventually after about 27 years on the planet the colonists undergo an ideological split where in about half of it's members want to keep the ship's old captain as their leader and the other about half want to democratically elect their leader. upon finding their differences unrecognisable the group decide to go their separate ways with the one with least members which turns out to be the dictatorship party, deciding to go and set up their own community else where.
    1700 years later the two societies have grown into the two most powerful superpowers on the planet with which all the other dozen or so countries are ideologically and politically allied with one of. In terms of technology the planet has now reached a level similar to but clearly in advance of present earth level (think Battlestar Galactica) complete with large interplanetary but still sub-light space ships. It is in this period that the people of the colony Planet (now called Porta mundi) rediscover the location of earth relative to them.... and amazingly it's only 23 light years away. To avoid conflict the two super powers agree to build two identical ships that will travel together on the 30 year trek to earth where they will both be allowed to make their own attempts to establish positive relationships with the surly massively advanced people of 38th century Earth.
    30 years later to their horror the crews of the twin ships find upon Arriving in earth orbit that the planet's inhabitance are not advanced at all. It turns out that in the mid 21st century a flu pandemic wiped out 99% of the earth's population and set technological development back 1000s of years, only just now in the 38th century have the people of earth reached a roughly AD1450 like level of development again. Having no choice but to stay the ships brake formation from each other and both make crash landing on different uninhabited parts of earth. Eventually the two crews come to the realisation that even if earth's not advanced it's still a reasonably sparsely populated habitable planet and thus still very important for them to each gain control of. To the aforementioned goal the two crews start sending out expeditions and troops to the different medieval nations of earth to try and win their allegiance for when more of their receptive peoples arrive.
    That finally is what the show would focus on, the troubles and conflicts the two crews would run into as they attempted to gain control of the post-apocalyptic Earth.

actually sounds a lot like that new show Revolution that's premiering this summer, or fall i can't remember.
    well maybe not the whole causality part, but the eventuality a bit.

i think it'd be a better concept without the going back to earth. maybe at some point they can rediscover it like you said and it's intriguing that it's so desolate. but not focus on it.

write a treatment, i'll give it to my agent.

Comment

just kidding i don't have an agent

Comment

Originally posted by Morbo View Post
        just kidding i don't have an agent
        did you add that this bit because you thought I might not get the joke and get my hopes up or because you intended for me not to get the joke but then decided you felt guilty about playing with someone's hopes and dreams?

Comment

Originally posted by Morbo View Post
          actually sounds a lot like that new show Revolution that's premiering this summer, or fall i can't remember.
          well maybe not the whole causality part, but the eventuality a bit.

i think it'd be a better concept without the going back to earth. maybe at some point they can rediscover it like you said and it's intriguing that it's so desolate. but not focus on it.

write a treatment, i'll give it to my agent.
          apart from being set in a post-apocalyptic setting my show idea is nothing like Revolution
          also speaking of rip-offs Revolution looks like it has the exact same premise as S. M. Stirling's Emberverse book series

Comment

If I'm brutally honest, it all sounds a bit overly complicated and silly.
            My Stargate fan fiction @ FF.net | NEW: When Cassie Calls Teal'c.

Comment

Originally posted by Goose View Post
              it boils down to "contemporary humans get stranded on another planet, build a colony there, then come back to earth to find it's reverted to a primitive state" what's so complicated about that?
              I'm not sure what you meant by "silly"?

Comment

Originally posted by Goose View Post
                Its also been done
                Originally posted by aretood2
                Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                  Its also been done
                  where?

Comment

The flu-pandemic wiping out 99% of population was done last year in a UK show Survivor (which I'm sad did not get another season).
                    sigpic

To see the complete animated picture timeline of the comet landing - http://xkcd1446.org/#7

From the wonderful XKCD site http://xkcd.com/1446/

Comment

H.G. Wells did the contemporary (when written) man into future primitive earth.
                      sigpic

Comment

Honestly, focus on the alien planet thing because that is the most interesting thing your ideas has going for it. The ideology split, the differences between alien and human colonies, the technology that results from the split, the various partnerships; there's some real potential right there.
                        Back from the grave.

Comment

This sounds like a cross between Battlestar Galactica and the latter part of Stargate Universe
                          sigpic

Comment

G'day slimjim,

Some great ideas there.

Dramatically, the power points are when they first arrive on that alien planet (and how they immediately survive), the politics that lead to the split, the decision to go back to Earth, and then the decision to become the new ruler of Earth...

One option... is to show all of these, in successive seasons... Season One is the transportation to the alien world and learning to survive.. Season Two is the political split, perhaps then leading into the 1700 years later... Season Three as the return to Earth and plans to take over...

The issue for me, would be if you go straight into S3, you are wanting the viewer to be interested in futuristic post apocalyptic Earthlings, and vastly advanced displaced Earthlings... and neither are "familiar".

Of course, you have the problem that by Season 3, you have a complete new set of characters... which would be very alienating to the viewer...
                            back on YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@The-Cosmic-Hobo
                            "How Doomsday Should Have Ended!" • "Bigger on the Inside?" • "The Doctor Falls - With Hartnell!"
                            "The War Games - In 10 Minutes" • "Announcement of Jon Pertwee's death" •
                            and lots more!

Comment

Scrap the bit about them going back to earth an the time jumps.

Have them stay on the planet an build a colony, may be have other aliens come and visit or may be have this be the aliens home world. Make it a survival type series.

You could even have several of earth military vessels mysteriously transported to the planet in the future and have a fight to who should control and direct the colony. With most of the colonists weary of the military because with out them they have been relatively successful at building new lives for themselves and slowly exploring the planet.

May be other aliens are being sent to this planet as well.

Sending them back to Earth spoils the premise, an our technology would not be set back thousands of years if we were hit by a flu pandemic, at the most we be back to 18 or 19th century.
                              Last edited by knowles2; 18 June 2012, 11:53 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X