Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

General Hammond not a very good general?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

General Hammond not a very good general?

General Hammond seems to always make bad decisions. He nearly let Earth be destroyed a few times, and he isn't very good at strategy.

http://i.imgur.com/PglAC.jpg

In the image above Hammond is playing a game of Connect 4 against an unknown opponent (Jack has just arrived) and yet neither side seems to be winning. With all of his experience as a US General this should be a simple matter for Hammond, yet he seems to be struggling with his opponent.

Even Bra'tac is condescending toward General Hammond, never referring to him with respect but instead calling him 'Hammond of Texas', as if to mock him.
    Last edited by Bagpuss; 11 June 2012, 10:13 AM. Reason: Pic limit exceeded.( Pm me for deets.)

You haven't actually watched the same series as the rest of us, have you?

Also, "Hammond of Texas" was meant as a term of deep respect, as I believe Bra'tac made clear.

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
    Sum, ergo scribo...

My own site ** FF.net * All That We Leave Behind * Symbiotica ** AO3
    sigpic
    now also appearing on DeviantArt
    Explore Colonel Frank Cromwell's odyssey after falling through the Stargate in Season Two's A Matter of Time, and follow Jack's search for him. Significant Tok'ra supporting characters and a human culture drawn from the annals of history. Book One of the series By Honor Bound.

Comment

"Hammond of Texas" is the same as "Fro'tak of the High Cliffs" and "Drey'auc of the Cord'ai Plains". I wouldn't be surprised if Bra'tac is known as "Master Bra'tac of Chulak" on other planets under Jaffa and perhaps even Goa'uld (since he was Apophis' first prime for decades).

Other than that I'd suggest you actually watch the show to see how capable General Hammond really was.
      Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
      Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
      On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

The Connect 4 game's probably just a production joke/goof,OR Hammond's Granddaughters left it mid-play so they could go get some air.

(Remember Jack greeting the kids in the garden?)

Also ITA with SF_and_Coffee and fems.Bra'tac and Hammond always treated each other with respect.
        The place to "Gate" to during Outages for updates and info:

Comment

Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
          The Connect 4 game's probably just a production joke/goof,OR Hammond's Granddaughters left it mid-play so they could go get some air.

(Remember Jack greeting the kids in the garden?)

Also ITA with SF_and_Coffee and fems.Bra'tac and Hammond always treated each other with respect.
          I always thought Bra'tac was a little hesitant about Hammond *to begin with* as he is simply *not* a warrior in the way Bra'tac would immediately recognise, yet that passed if favor of respect for eachothers abilities and understanding that it takes more than a staff and the ability to personally knock the stuffing out of your opponent to make a "warrior"
          If we all fight with the gifts we have been given, are we not brothers?
          Last edited by Gatefan1976; 11 June 2012, 07:13 AM.
          sigpic
          ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
          A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
          The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Originally posted by The6thRace View Post
            In the image above Hammond is playing a game of Connect 4 against an unknown opponent (Jack has just arrived) and yet neither side seems to be winning. With all of his experience as a US General this should be a simple matter for Hammond, yet he seems to be struggling with his opponent.
            Several seconds before this we see that his grandchildren are there. Pretty sure he would let them win.

Comment

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
              I always thought Bra'tac was a little hesitant about Hammond *to begin with* as he is simply *not* a warrior in the way Bra'tac would immediately recognise, yet that passed if favor of respect for eachothers abilities and understanding that it takes more than a staff and the ability to personally knock the stuffing out of your opponent to make a "warrior"
              Bra'tac was hesitant with all the Tau'ri he met but as they worked more/closer together, he seemed to realize they were warriors in their own right, even though they weren't Jaffa like him or Teal'c. I think the same goes for how he viewed Hammond, especially after Bra'tac got more or less in charge of the Rebel Jaffa and visited Earth for the Tau'ri/Jaffa Alliance. He also asked if Hammond "had fallen in battle" in Lost City.
              Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
              Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
              On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
                Agreed.
                Different strategies,but effectively Brothers in Arms.

Originally posted by escyos View Post
                Several seconds before this we see that his grandchildren are there. Pretty sure he would let them win.
                Good point.Hammond came across as a doting Grandad,not a hardass off-duty.

(Though in my own family,if a kid wants to play a game,they have to play properly and not cheat .I didn't enjoy learning card games and Chess with my Nanna,but I suppose it was "character-building" at the time,lol !)

Comment

LOL yeah losing against your whole entire family is not easy I hate chess 10 points if you can guess why
                  sigpic

You got nothing on my smileys

Comment

My family did the same thing... and by age nine I'd learned well enough that I was regularly doubling my allowance by playing rummy for nickels with my family on Sunday afternoons.

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
                    Sum, ergo scribo...

My own site ** FF.net * All That We Leave Behind * Symbiotica ** AO3
                    sigpic
                    now also appearing on DeviantArt
                    Explore Colonel Frank Cromwell's odyssey after falling through the Stargate in Season Two's A Matter of Time, and follow Jack's search for him. Significant Tok'ra supporting characters and a human culture drawn from the annals of history. Book One of the series By Honor Bound.

Comment

I smell trollery.
                      If you wish to see more of my rants, diatribes, and general comments, check out my Twitter account SirRyanR!
                      Check out Pharaoh Hamenthotep's wicked 3D renders here!
                      If you can prove me wrong, go for it. I enjoy being proven wrong.

sigpic
                      Worship the Zefron. Always the Zefron.

Comment

Originally posted by Darian View Post
                        LOL yeah losing against your whole entire family is not easy I hate chess 10 points if you can guess why
                        The meanies ganged up ? My lot used to do the same.

I gave up Chess many years ago because I got tired of the "Told you so" dance and their smugness every time I was stranded.

Originally posted by SF_and_Coffee View Post
                        My family did the same thing... and by age nine I'd learned well enough that I was regularly doubling my allowance by playing rummy for nickels with my family on Sunday afternoons.
                        WTG !
                        I used to escape as quickly as possible to save my dignity and pocket money.
                        I did get quite good at Poker,and a few other games,but never enough to risk a gamble because Nanna played for keeps ,and I knew better than try to out Poker-face my Mum and Uncles.

Originally posted by lordofseas View Post
                        I smell trollery.
                        All I smelt was an oversized piccy,and a topic that's been fun for the rest of us to reply to, though nobody's been able to come in with any good and gritty reasons to prove Hammond was an unfit or terrible General so far.

If you want another Mod to take a look,though : just report the thread.

Comment

I suppose you could claim that he showed a bit more lenience to SG1 and Jack in particular than was proper, but I don't think that made him a bad general on the whole.

Plus in terms of making bad judgements it's not like it was always easy to ascertain the situation as it usually dealt with alien incidents which would be, by nature, alien to those from another planet.

Comment

Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
                            though nobody's been able to come in with any good and gritty reasons to prove Hammond was an unfit or terrible General so far.

All the bad things Kinsey mentioned in season six's 'Disclosure'.

I don't think there is any real proof to show that Hammond was a bad General, as we've seen some really terrible decisions made by other people who were higher up than him. That said, anything Hammond could be blamed on, easily could have happened to anyone else in charge as it's not like he did anything wrong to cause those situations.

sigpic

Comment

Seriously? Hammond was on his last tour, due for retirement before the proverbial brown stuff hit the fan. He was stuck in the deep end, having to work under conditions no one on the planet had ever had to contend with before!

Comment

Working...
                              X