This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Atlantis:Do you beleive?

I was recently reading the 'Archaeology, and Stargate' thread by Hatusu. Atlantis was involved, and I wondered, does anyone really beleive in Atlantis?

I do, but I am a major spiritualist and beleive in karma and all that. There are tons of stories about it all over the world. Plus, Edgar Cayce had visions of Atlantis, and its pacific cousin/rival Lemuria, and he was very accurate about many other of his predictions/visions.

So I am now curious to see who else beleives or doesn't.

I will believe it if scientific proof is shown to me.
    The 360 is out in Aus and I'm playing
    Mal: Was that the primary buffer panel?
    Wash: It did seem to resemble-
    Mal: Did the primary bufferpanel just fall off my gorramn ship for no apparent rerason?

Comment

The myths probably based on something...

Comment

Originally posted by D.C.
        The myths probably based on something...
        I pretty much agree with this. There was probably a prospering island civilization at some point. Does it have the ability to fly to other galaxies ( )or did anything amazing happen that cannot be reproduced by modern humans? I doubt it.

Comment

I like to think that it did, unfortuantely I am no longer able to believe in it as I once did when I was younger. I've become too scientifically minded, for better or for worse.

I do think the most likely explanation, from what I have read, is that Atlantis was an ancient civilization on crete, which was destroyed by a volcanic eruption/tidal wave from the eruption.

Comment

Well, maybe we just degressed. Like an old dark age, and we reverted. Now, I am talking of the real Atlantis( as in the typical theory), not SGA. There have been many 'ancient astronauts'(typically bs in my eye, but at this moment, it makes sense in a way). Atlantis and Lemuria were said to have been in a large war, and I beleive it was a draw. Now, since they were on opposite sides of the planet, they probablly wouldn't fight by sea. And, like all great inventions, they created flight out of necessity.

So there's one score for Atlantis =P

Comment

it is a fun thing to believe in.

there are so many atlantis theories - diff scientists think it could be in about what, 4-5 diff places?

Ancient historians did write about it, myths have to be based on something.

I think that a city named Atlantis did exist, and some disaster made it be desroyed.

Comment

A lot of the stuff mentioned in Stargate I am a firm believer in. Aliens on other planets, Atlantis, the Asgard...I mean, come on! We may be alone in this solar system, but we aren't in the galaxy. And Atlantis, it really could be a city or it could be destroyed or somewhere else. I mean, there is so much unexplained stuff that Stargate helps me understand. Pyramids, Stonehenge...everything that history can't 100% say "this is what happened with that".

Comment

As for location, I am undecided. Perhaps the carribean as I have read of a race of blond hair/blue eyed people who had a sort of amnesia of their former civilization and said that there was a catastrophe at their old home and they were refugees.

Comment

i like to believe it existed, i rember when i was young my favorate pc game was indiana jones and the fate of atlantis. whose to say a continent/island couldn't have sunk there are prediction that the san andreas fault could cause the western coast to seperate and go in to the ocean, just look at the recent earch quake and ensuing tsunami. we have only begun to explore the oceans, it took us a while to locate the titanic and visit, if atlantis exist/ed we eill find it someday

Comment

I believe it did not exist, and that Plato made it up to make a point. I just think that if it did exist, there would be more cultural reference to it in antiquity than just Plato's account.

-IMF
                      "There's not a little boy born who wouldn't tear the world apart to save his mummy... and this little boy can." --The Doctor.
                      "The plastic tips at the ends of shoelaces are called Aglets. Their true purpose is sinister."--The Question.
                      BAD WOLF!!!

Comment

So the fact that almost every single religion in the world described a great flood and the atlantis civlization in some form or another still cant convince you?

Comment

Originally posted by Atlantisluva
                          So the fact that almost every single religion in the world described a great flood and the atlantis civlization in some form or another still cant convince you?
                          With respect, the deluge-myth archetype is not evidence for the specifics of Atlantis. Atlantis, supposedly a great city with advanced and powerful people is only referred to specifically once, by Plato, and no place before him. That seems odd. Now, absence of evidence is almost never considered evidence of absence in archeology, but it seems odd.

-IMF
                          "There's not a little boy born who wouldn't tear the world apart to save his mummy... and this little boy can." --The Doctor.
                          "The plastic tips at the ends of shoelaces are called Aglets. Their true purpose is sinister."--The Question.
                          BAD WOLF!!!

Comment

I remember seeing a documentary a while ago which pointed out how a lot of events in the Bible were actually over-dramatised real events. The parting of the seas could have been caused by an Earthquake, like Atlantis could have been caused by a natural disaster.

I'm a believer that a city did "sink" a while ago, but not in the same way we might think of the Ancients' Atlantis sinking.

Comment

Well, if you swear it must be called Atlantis...

I meant Atlantis as in general. A name of a place changes to every other place you go. The mayans and south americans had an Atlantis( No, not called Atlantis, but it was mentioned as a highly advanced society that suffered and fit the descriptions of Atlantis). China did, the norse even!

Comment

Working...
                              X