Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Could they have made a Stargate SG-1 episode featuring a "genie"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Could they have made a Stargate SG-1 episode featuring a "genie"?

One could imagine a Stargate SG-1 episode in which the SG-1 team goes to a planet inhabited by an Arab civilization and hears about the existence of an "oil lamp" containing a "genie." The lamp turns out to be an advanced Ancient device and the "genie" could either be a hologram generated by the lamp device and controlled by an artificial intelligence within the lamp device or alternatively an ascended being who is held captive by the lamp device.

The lamp device, or the ascended being bound to the lamp device, would have the power to manipulate reality to a limited degree and within a certain range of spacetime. This would allow it to grant wishes to a person who rubs the lamp device.

The SG-1 team members would search for this device in order to prevent it from falling into the wrong hands (e.g. the Goa'uld) while pondering and being tempted by the lamp's, or the ascended genie's, wish-granting abilities.

Would this have been a good theme for an episode?

Eh, genies have been done to death in fiction. Honestly, I never liked the concept to begin with.

Comment

I hear Robin Williams was busy that week, and the SFX department was all out of blue paint anyway.

Seriously though, I don't know about the wish-granting element, but there are probably other offshoots of the basic idea that might have been interesting.

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
      Sum, ergo scribo...

My own site ** FF.net * All That We Leave Behind * Symbiotica ** AO3
      sigpic
      now also appearing on DeviantArt
      Explore Colonel Frank Cromwell's odyssey after falling through the Stargate in Season Two's A Matter of Time, and follow Jack's search for him. Significant Tok'ra supporting characters and a human culture drawn from the annals of history. Book One of the series By Honor Bound.

Comment

Those giant mist aliens would make good genies. Beings made from smoke.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Alteran Prior View Post
          just a damn minute man
          however fascinating
          Spoiler:
          OH DEAR GOD NO
          sigpic
          Ohhhhhhhh WHAM BAM THANK YOU MA'AM

Comment

The closest episode is an SGA episode (in season 1, Home).

Comment

Originally posted by Ukko View Post
              Those giant mist aliens would make good genies. Beings made from smoke.
              I thought of the "giant aliens" in 'Crystal Skull' too when I saw the title of this thread!

'Supernatural' had a great story with genies in and would be the sort of thing I'd expect to see if SG-1 had ever made a story about them. A race of beings that made people believe their lives change as a result of granting 'wishes', but have a nefarious purpose behind it like the 'Matrix', in that their victims weren't aware of what was really happening whilst they were having their "3 wishes" granted.

Comment

when i first saw this, my thought was charmed (they did a good job with genies, and only had them twice). since that was fantasy it worked. as for stargate, no that wouldn't have fit in very well.
                sigpic

Comment

it could definately have worked.

Comment

Originally posted by Alteran Prior View Post
                    One could imagine a Stargate SG-1 episode in which the SG-1 team goes to a planet inhabited by an Arab civilization and hears about the existence of an "oil lamp" containing a "genie." The lamp turns out to be an advanced Ancient device and the "genie" could either be a hologram generated by the lamp device and controlled by an artificial intelligence within the lamp device or alternatively an ascended being who is held captive by the lamp device.

The lamp device, or the ascended being bound to the lamp device, would have the power to manipulate reality to a limited degree and within a certain range of spacetime. This would allow it to grant wishes to a person who rubs the lamp device.

The SG-1 team members would search for this device in order to prevent it from falling into the wrong hands (e.g. the Goa'uld) while pondering and being tempted by the lamp's, or the ascended genie's, wish-granting abilities.

Don't see how. Genies were all about producing things out of thin air when granting wishes. As far as I've seen in Stargate (which I've only watched SG-1 and I'm only on season 7), the only thing able to be created out of thin air are projections. I've never even seen an Ancient materialize something.

Though it could work if they converted other matter into something the person would want. SG-1 tries to follow some basic scientific laws, so if you wanted a new car, your old one and some other surrounding material would have to be converted to it. And then maybe it would only be cosmetic and it not be able to run or something crazy like that.

It could work, but it'd be kind of lame too.
                    sigpic

Comment

Working...
                    X