Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ok, one last question: How big is Atlantis?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok, one last question: How big is Atlantis?

Anyone got any idea as to the physical dimensions of Atlantis? From the scale of the ships parked there, and the size of windows and whatnot, I'd assume it to be about the size of Manhattan (say 10 or 11 miles in diameter), but I've heard people say as little as two miles, and others say more. I've never heard any official comments, though, and you guys would obviously know if there were.

So: how big is it?
    Sincerely,

Kevin Long
    (The Artist Formerly Known As Republibot 3.0)
    http://www.kevin-long.com

i got the impression that it was about the size of Manhattan. they hadn't even explored half the city.
    sigpic

Comment

I think it was said on more than once occasion that Atlantis was in fact the size of Manhattan.

sigpic

Comment

From Before I Sleep:

[Sheppard and McKay lounge in front of big-screen display of the Atlantis lay-out.]

SHEPPARD
        Too big, huh?

MCKAY
        I'm not saying it's too big. I'm just pointing out its dimensions.

SHEPPARD
        Hmm. It's not that big—

WEIR
        Gentlemen?

SHEPPARD
        We were just wondering whether there are any other frozen bodies out there in Atlantis that we haven't discovered.

MCKAY
        And I was just saying there's no way of knowing in the short term. It'd be like searching every room in every building in Manhattan. It'll take a while. God knows what other kinds of surprises are out there, not showing up on the sensors.
        Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
        Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
        On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

Well the other thing unlike Manhattan it isn't as densely populated with skyscrapers either.

On the other hand, if we assume Atlantis to be ten or eleven miles in diameter than those spires/buildings would miles high and even higher for the central tower.

Lastly, you could figure out the size if you count windows on the buildings and then go from there.
          Hi There!

Comment

I'd like to point out that that Before I Sleep doesn't actually say or even suggest that the city is the size of Manhattan. McKay was just drawing a comparison of how involved and time-consuming it would be to find a proverbial needle in a haystack.
            "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Indeed. That said, the buildings seem to be about as high as the highest skyscrapers at most, rather than miles high. This is most clearly seen in flyby scenes.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by maneth View Post
                Indeed. That said, the buildings seem to be about as high as the highest skyscrapers at most, rather than miles high. This is most clearly seen in flyby scenes.
                Agreed. Someday I will count those windows and do a good analysis on the size of Atlantis.
                Hi There!

Comment

Well, you could estimate the size by comparing the size of the ships which land on the piers...

Comment

It's big. That's all we really need to know. Too bad the writers stopped using it for ideas. That city could have created a LOT of awesome bottle shows.
                    "I have never understood why it should be necessary to become irrational in order to prove that you care... or why it should be necessary to prove it at all."

Comment

big
                      sigpic
                      Ohhhhhhhh WHAM BAM THANK YOU MA'AM

Comment

Originally posted by Quizziard View Post
                        Well, you could estimate the size by comparing the size of the ships which land on the piers...
                        No one is sure how big the Daedalus is. It can be anywhere between 400 to 600 meters long. Puddle Jumpers at least is easier since we have a set limit on it's size because of the Stargate.

Counting windows is an easier way of determining size. It all depends on the size of the windows and if they are in even rows though.
                        Hi There!

Comment

Originally posted by McAvoy View Post
                          No one is sure how big the Daedalus is. It can be anywhere between 400 to 600 meters long. Puddle Jumpers at least is easier since we have a set limit on it's size because of the Stargate.
                          According to the wikia it's 225 meters in length. Of course everything on there should be taken with a grain of salt, but at least they mention a source; "Stargate Atlantis: The DVD Collection 70". Those are unavailable to me so it's impossible for me to check, but it gives you an idea.
                          Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
                          Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
                          On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

According to Stargate Wiki, the height/depth of Atlantis is 800+ meters, but it doesn't mention its diameter.
                            http://stargate.wikia.com/wiki/Atlantis

It's probably a lot smaller than Bespin Cloud City (diameter 16.2 km).
                            http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Cloud_City

Comment

Stargate Wikia is bulls--t. Don't trust it, for anything. It's full of half-truths and non-canon nonsense.
                              "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Working...
                              X