Why does McKay frown all the time??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why does McKay frown all the time??

Don't get me wrong. I have begun to really enjoy the improvements in the character as I go along on SGA. I could do without all the constant complaining and sarcasm he spews forth, but the biggest thing is that signature FROWN. Is that a quirk with David Hewlett, or is a character trait for Rodney McKay??

It's a character trait for Rodney. He's suppose to be the opposite of Carter. Where as she was polite, professional, friendly, easy to get along with... McKay is rude, unprofessional, irritating, difficult to get along with, a hypochondriac, and so on. The only reason why anyone can put up with him is because of his brilliance. Over the coarse of the series, he manages to make some friends such as Sheppard and Elizabeth. I also love it when he's paired up with Zelenaka, the scientist with the crazy hair.

Comment

I think you have described it exactly. If I were Zelenka I'd want to punch McKay in the mouth at least once.
      Speaking of which, how did the issue of confidentiality address the need of all the Atlantis personnel to tell their families where they were going and that they might never see them again. I presume all our heroes had parents, siblings, etc. Of course it always seems to work out that almost all SG personnel are unmarried or at least separated from spouses and alienated from family members (Hammond, Landry, O'Neill, Teal'c,). Or they just can't get it together on earth with their families or a potential spouse (Daniel Jackson, Carter).

Originally posted by Snowman37 View Post
      It's a character trait for Rodney. He's suppose to be the opposite of Carter. Where as she was polite, professional, friendly, easy to get along with... McKay is rude, unprofessional, irritating, difficult to get along with, a hypochondriac, and so on. The only reason why anyone can put up with him is because of his brilliance. Over the coarse of the series, he manages to make some friends such as Sheppard and Elizabeth. I also love it when he's paired up with Zelenaka, the scientist with the crazy hair.

Comment

In all probability, everyone was not allowed to tell their families where they were really going, thus cover stories would have been created. For example, Ford's mother thought he was going to Afghanistan.

Comment

on the subject of Rodney's frown - definitely a character trait (because DH is usually smiley). I think his frown was always present because usually he was either trying to think up a solution to something, or someone was saying something that he considered "dumb". Oh, and there's the "the fact that you're petty, arrogant and treat people badly" thing too. I did like the fact that they toned down his annoyance factor a bit through the series.

As for the 'cover stories' - I'm sure most of them were only able to tell their families that they were going on a mission, and not much more.
          sigpic

Comment

Presumably a mission from which they may never return......nice to let the folks know. ;-)
            Good to know Rodney changes. I remember seeing him kill the Wraith on the planet with Shepard only to have it stand up again. But after the Jumper bombed the Wraith, Rodney still had that intense frown.

Originally posted by KayLyne View Post
            on the subject of Rodney's frown - definitely a character trait (because DH is usually smiley). I think his frown was always present because usually he was either trying to think up a solution to something, or someone was saying something that he considered "dumb". Oh, and there's the "the fact that you're petty, arrogant and treat people badly" thing too. I did like the fact that they toned down his annoyance factor a bit through the series.

As for the 'cover stories' - I'm sure most of them were only able to tell their families that they were going on a mission, and not much more.

Comment

Actually, Zelenka did form a friendship with Rodney at the end of Season 1. Besides, I'd love to put up with the guy.
              "I have never understood why it should be necessary to become irrational in order to prove that you care... or why it should be necessary to prove it at all."

Comment

Because he's a frowny person!!!
                Tumblr: fashion4ducks.tumblr.com
                Where my mind comes out to play *DUN DUN DUN!!!!!!!!!!!!*

Comment

Because he is a boss. Just look at my signature lol
                  sigpic

Favorite quote:
                  McKay: You shot me!
                  Sheppard: Yes, Rodney, I shot you, and I said I was sorry.
                  Ronon: You shot me, too.
                  Sheppard: I’m sorry for shooting everyone!

Comment

Working...
                  X