PDA

View Full Version : Zoe is 16 Philomon is 27, did the writers not notice or just not care?

slimjim
April 30th, 2012, 01:11 PM
in the UK it wouldn't be a problem but doesn't that make her jail-bate state side?

DigiFluid
April 30th, 2012, 01:52 PM
Perhaps it escaped your notice, but Caprica isn't set in the States.

slimjim
April 30th, 2012, 02:04 PM
Perhaps it escaped your notice, but Caprica isn't set in the States.
it is written and made there and I think she's under age on Caprica two

DigiFluid
April 30th, 2012, 02:13 PM
It was written and made in Vancouver.

slimjim
April 30th, 2012, 02:24 PM
It was written and made in Vancouver.
it's easy for an Englishman to forget Canada exists, I just assumed because of the accents that it was american

DigiFluid
April 30th, 2012, 02:27 PM
Yeah, the colossal landmass that's home to many films and most sci-fi series that lays directly north of the Americans is really easy to miss.

slimjim
April 30th, 2012, 02:38 PM
Yeah, the colossal landmass that's home to many films and most sci-fi series directly north of the Americans is really easy to miss.

I don't mean literally but it is pretty common for people in Britain to just assume "north american ascent" = "USA"
there's a Canadian comedian called Tom Stade who talks about it in his act
"home to many films and most sci-fi series" to be fair most of those are set in the USA

JosephGracey
April 30th, 2012, 03:07 PM
Doesnt really make it wrong theyre both two consenting people why would that be a problem ?

Gen. Chris
April 30th, 2012, 05:29 PM
Doesnt really make it wrong theyre both two consenting people why would that be a problem ?

Well technically a 10 year old could also be consenting...But I'm just using an extreme example.

JosephGracey
April 30th, 2012, 05:32 PM
I'm just saying its not like he's forcing her

jelgate
April 30th, 2012, 05:43 PM
Its set in another planet in a completely another solar system. Earth laws let alone American ones don't apply

Ukko
April 30th, 2012, 11:24 PM
Yeah, the colossal landmass that's home to many films and most sci-fi series that lays directly north of the Americans is really easy to miss.

Whoa whoa whoa! Theres land north of the US?!?! But..what......since when!?

Well technically a 10 year old could also be consenting...But I'm just using an extreme example.

A ten year old likely wouldnt fully understand what its consenting two.

Inquisitor
May 1st, 2012, 12:11 AM
I don't mean literally but it is pretty common for people in Britain to just assume "north american ascent" = "USA"
there's a Canadian comedian called Tom Stade who talks about it in his act
"home to many films and most sci-fi series" to be fair most of those are set in the USA

I think most sci-fi is filmed in Canada, bar some scenes.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_science_fiction_TV_and_radio_shows_produced_in_Canada

DigiFluid
May 1st, 2012, 05:15 AM
Age of consent in developed countries....

13 years old:
Argentina
Japan
Spain

14 years old:
Brazil
Germany
Italy
Portugal

15 years old:
Czech Republic
Denmark
France
Greenland
Slovakia
Sweden

16 years old:
Belgium
Canada
India
Netherlands
New Zealand
Norway
Russia
South Africa
United Kingdom
United States
- Alabama
- Alaska
- Arkansas
- Connecticut
- DC
- Georgia
- Hawaii
- Indiana
- Iowa
- Kansas
- Kentucky
- Maine
- Maryland
- Massachusetts
- Michigan
- Minnesota
- Mississippi
- Montana
- Nevada
- New Hampshire
- New Jersey
- North Carolina
- Ohio
- Oklahoma
- Rhode Island
- South Carolina
- South Dakota
- Vermont
- Washington
- West Virginia

17 years old:
- Colorado
- Illinois
- Louisiana
- Missouri
- Nebraska
- New Mexico
- New York
- Texas
- Wyoming

And then there's all those places where there's no offense if the parties are within a certain number of years of age, even if one is underage.

Looking things up on Wikipedia is haaaaaaaard.

LoneStar1836
May 1st, 2012, 12:12 PM
There's also the fact that this all took place in a virtual world. In a virtual world where they were killing people for sport, playing Russian Roulette, sex dens, etc. etc. I think her being under age and a computer program are the least of your worries. :P

slimjim
May 3rd, 2012, 11:11 AM
zoe's consenting, but Philomon thinks he's having sex with someone totally different

LoneStar1836
May 4th, 2012, 07:49 AM
zoe's consenting, but Philomon thinks he's having sex with someone totally differentThat's the chance he takes when doing that in V-world. As people can pick what they want to look like and lie about everything. Heck, the person behind the Zoe avatar could have been a 50 yr old guy for all Philomon knew. :P

Besides I don't recall them ever having sex...even if it was virtual...on the show. :S And I just rewatched the entire series two weeks ago.

That's pretty much the chance people take when they chat on online forums, etc. etc. You can't see who you are talking to.

slimjim
May 4th, 2012, 11:00 AM
That's the chance he takes when doing that in V-world. As people can pick what they want to look like and lie about everything. Heck, the person behind the Zoe avatar could have been a 50 yr old guy for all Philomon knew. :P

Besides I don't recall them ever having sex...even if it was virtual...on the show. :S And I just rewatched the entire series two weeks ago.

That's pretty much the chance people take when they chat on online forums, etc. etc. You can't see who you are talking to.
"That's the chance he takes when doing that in V-world" couldn't you use the same logic on women who are manipulated into sleeping with men in real life?
"I don't recall them ever having sex" I distinctly remember them lying next to each other on a virtual four poster bed, what do you think they were doing?

Ukko
May 5th, 2012, 04:22 AM
"That's the chance he takes when doing that in V-world" couldn't you use the same logic on women who are manipulated into sleeping with men in real life?
"I don't recall them ever having sex" I distinctly remember them lying next to each other on a virtual four poster bed, what do you think they were doing?

Lying next too each other on a four post bed....

LoneStar1836
May 5th, 2012, 08:08 AM
Lying next too each other on a four post bed....lol. That's what I thought they were doing too.

Last I looked there was no virtual world in today's reality where people have sex through avatars. Video/PC games etc don't count. So I fail to see how that argument has anything to do with the situation presented in the TV show. :S

slimjim
May 5th, 2012, 08:56 AM
Last I looked there was no virtual world in today's reality where people have sex through avatars. Video/PC games etc don't count. So I fail to see how that argument has anything to do with the situation presented in the TV show. :S
that because we can't feel what our avatars do, they can