PDA

View Full Version : Which Marvel films should I watch prior to 'Avengers Assemble!'? -No-Spoilers please

Flyboy
April 28th, 2012, 01:19 PM
Question is in the title folks!

Thanks!

Starfist
April 28th, 2012, 01:39 PM
Ok.
The Marvel films you should watch are...

Iron Man, Iron Man 2, Captain America, The Hulk (The newer version), Thor.
They all set the scene for 'Avengers Assemble'. You should watch them all through to the end of the end title credits.

Flyboy
April 28th, 2012, 01:44 PM
Any particular order?

Starfist
April 28th, 2012, 01:50 PM
Any particular order?

Iron Man, Iron Man2 should be watched back to back. As for the others I'm not sure.
As I have yet to see The Hulk and Thor. But Captain America can be watched after Iron Man 2.

mr_kennedy
April 28th, 2012, 01:56 PM
We'll when i watched it i wanted to watch the my whole marvel collection of movies so i went

Iron Man, Iron Man 2, Thor, Captain America, Hulk, Incredible Hulk, Spiderman Trilogy, X-men Saga, Fantastic Four (both of them), Ghost Rider, Punisher, War Zone, Kick Ass, Daredevil, Elektra Animated films

but if you just want the Avengers movies then try release order

Hulk, Iron Man, Iincredible Hulk, Iron Man 2, Thor & Captain America

Brie
April 28th, 2012, 01:59 PM
Like Starfist said it's best to watch all of them however in my opinion the once that I felt was the most important to watch not long before you see 'the Avengers' is 'Captain America' firstly but also 'Thor', both of them plot-vise but character-vise (I saw 'Iron man' 1 and 2 the last time over a year and a half ago and 'The Hulk' movies even longer before that and I still got it) it's good to have seen all of them, not to mention that they are all great films and will provide a few hours of entertainment. I hope that you'll enjoy 'The Avengers' when you see it, it's a great movie.

Snowman37
April 28th, 2012, 02:08 PM
Question is in the title folks!

Thanks!
Check out the following films...

Captain America: The First Avenger
Hulk (2003)
The Incredible Hulk (2008)
Iron Man
Iron Man 2
Thor

Hulk (2003) doesn't really tie in, because the 2008 movie basically ignored the '03 film. It's still worth seeing, though.

The movies came out in this order...

2003: Hulk
2008: Iron Man, The Incredible Hulk
2010: Iron Man 2
2011: Thor, Captain America: The First Avenger

As for viewing order, I can't imagine it really matters. However, I'd watch them in the order they were released.

SaberBlade
April 28th, 2012, 04:28 PM
Any particular order?

It's Captain America, Iron Man, Iron Man 2, Thor, Incredible Hulk and then The Avengers.

There is a chronology to the movies, so you should watch in that order.

DigiFluid
April 28th, 2012, 08:21 PM
^ What Saber said. That's how I've always understood the chronology.

Don't bother with Hulk 2003 (the Ang Lee one with Eric Bana and Jennifer Connelly), it has nothing to do with this cinematic universe. And it was terrible.

The only Hulk movie in this continuity is the 2008 one with Edward Norton.

Oh, and make sure not to miss all the post-credits scenes. I think every movie so far has had one.

DigiFluid
April 28th, 2012, 08:32 PM
As to stuff that isn't out yet, there are 3 movies known to be in the pipe (tentative titles, of course):
- Iron Man 3 (May 3 2013)
- Thor 2 (Nov 15 2013)
- Captain America 2 (Apr 4 2014)

Then there's the two other release dates they've announced for future Marvel Cinematic Universe movies (May 26 2014, June 27 2014) that currently don't have any titles attached to them.

Plus there's been persistent rumours that a Nick Fury and/or S.H.I.E.L.D. movie is in the cards. While there's been no official word on this, Samuel L. Jackson is contracted for more Marvel movies than have yet been announced, so it's still possible. A week or two ago, Scarlett Johansson said that she's hoping for a Black Widow movie down the line. And The Avengers is almost guaranteed to make dump trucks of money, so I imagine an Avengers 2 is very, very likely.

Presumably, all of these will take place chronologically post-Avengers.

Rise Of The Phoenix
April 28th, 2012, 10:20 PM
IMO all of the Marvel films from are worth a watch.

I saw Avengers Assemble friday and it was most definitely worth the wait, an awesome film IMO.

From the timeline that sets up Avengers IMO watch Captain America, then Iron Man 1, then 2, then Thor and finally Avengers Assemble.

I don't think the Hulk films are important in the current Avengers universe.
I think the first one was ok, Incredible Hulk was better, if you need to watch Hulk films then watch them in Snowman37's order, like this:

Captain America: The First Avenger
Hulk (2003)
The Incredible Hulk (2008)
Iron Man
Iron Man 2
Thor
Avengers

As has been said definitely watch to the end of each film's credits, particularly Captain America, the Iron Man's, Thor and Avengers.

Avengers had a nice little bit, but only read if you don't care to know what I think here:

I think it will lead into Iron Man 3

Rise Of The Phoenix
April 28th, 2012, 10:33 PM
Iron Man, Iron Man2 should be watched back to back. As for the others I'm not sure.
As I have yet to see The Hulk and Thor. But Captain America can be watched after Iron Man 2.

Because of the year Captain America is set in then it should IMO be watched before any of the other films.
Parts are very important to set the scene even for Iron Man, IMO they should have released it even before Iron Man, but I don't think it would have done so well on it's own as Iron Man 1 & 2.

Naonak
April 29th, 2012, 04:19 AM
It's Captain America, Iron Man, Iron Man 2, Thor, Incredible Hulk and then The Avengers.

There is a chronology to the movies, so you should watch in that order.

^ What Saber said. That's how I've always understood the chronology.
I figure that Captain America's placement should be based on the present-day framing sequence rather than the main story, putting it last of the solo films.

Plus its post-credits sequence is just a scene from and trailer for Avengers.

SaberBlade
April 29th, 2012, 05:12 AM
I figure that Captain America's placement should be based on the present-day framing sequence rather than the main story, putting it last of the solo films.

Plus its post-credits sequence is just a scene from and trailer for Avengers.

Captain America needs to come first because it's more than just 5 minutes in present day. The entire WW2 story helps set up events in Iron Man 1, 2 a bit of Thor and The Avengers. It works better coming first, even if the modern day stuff is set after the other movies.

Snowman37
April 29th, 2012, 07:29 PM
I think Captain America has more emotional punch if you've seen Iron Man 1&2. The reason being is that the father of Iron Man has a supporting role in Captain America. It won't have the same emotional weight if you watch CA first.

Don't bother with Hulk 2003 (the Ang Lee one with Eric Bana and Jennifer Connelly), it has nothing to do with this cinematic universe.

The only Hulk movie in this continuity is the 2008 one with Edward Norton.
I know, I just like the 2003 movie. Say what you will, but Flyboy might like it. Yeah, it's not in the continuity of the other movies, but so what? That doesn't make it any less enjoyable if viewed as a stand-alone film.

Oh, and make sure not to miss all the post-credits scenes. I think every movie so far has had one.
I believe the only one without a secret ending is The Incredible Hulk (2008). The scene is included at the end of the film, before the end credits.

As for everyone telling you, Flyboy, to watch Captain America first... eh... don't listen. It doesn't matter whether you do or not, but the point is that a prequel should be watched based on when it was released in regards to the previous stories. Would Wolverine carry as much emotional weight if you had not seen the X-Men trilogy? Would First Class? When it comes to film, I'm a big believer in production order.

DigiFluid
April 29th, 2012, 09:57 PM
I believe the only one without a secret ending is The Incredible Hulk (2008). The scene is included at the end of the film, before the end credits.
I do believe you're right actually.

WingedPegasus
April 29th, 2012, 10:46 PM
Personally, I don't know if it's too important to watch the Hulk movies--but if you're going to, definitely go with the 2008 version.

I vote for release order as well.
Iron Man
Incredible Hulk (2008)
Iron Man 2
Thor
Captain America

I do believe you're right actually.

My favorite part of the movie. :P

I'm just not a big fan of the Hulk, I guess, so I was happy when Tony Stark showed up. :D

Gen. Chris
April 30th, 2012, 08:24 AM
I believe the order should be

Captain America
Ironman and Ironman 2
Hulk (at the end of Ironman 2 you can see a news report on the campus battle that occurred in Hulk, hence my placement here)
Thor

SaberBlade
April 30th, 2012, 10:27 AM
I believe the order should be

Captain America
Ironman and Ironman 2
Hulk (at the end of Ironman 2 you can see a news report on the campus battle that occurred in Hulk, hence my placement here)
Thor

I'd place Thor before Hulk, because earlier in Iron Man 2 Coulson says he's going to New Mexico, this sets up Thor. Incredible Hulk, as you already stated gets it's crossover (of sorts) at the end of Iron Man 2. Thor also takes place over a shorter period of time so while the core of Iron Man 2 has ended, Thor, in my opinion, would have it's core story end before Hulk's. If I had to guess I'd say IM2, Thor and Incredible Hulk pretty much end day after each other. One night IM2, next Thor, next Hulk.

DigiFluid
April 30th, 2012, 10:32 AM
Don't forget to heed FOB's request for no spoilers, guys ;)

SaberBlade
April 30th, 2012, 12:01 PM
Don't forget to heed FOB's request for no spoilers, guys ;)

They aren't exactly spoilers. They are very small, and often missed references to Thor/Hulk in Iron Man 2.

Gen. Chris
April 30th, 2012, 01:05 PM
I'd place Thor before Hulk, because earlier in Iron Man 2 Coulson says he's going to New Mexico, this sets up Thor. Incredible Hulk, as you already stated gets it's crossover (of sorts) at the end of Iron Man 2. Thor also takes place over a shorter period of time so while the core of Iron Man 2 has ended, Thor, in my opinion, would have it's core story end before Hulk's. If I had to guess I'd say IM2, Thor and Incredible Hulk pretty much end day after each other. One night IM2, next Thor, next Hulk.

I had grappled with whether I should place Hulk or Thor before the other. They are so close it really could go either way. I wish there could be some sort of official timeline.

DigiFluid
May 1st, 2012, 03:52 PM
As to stuff that isn't out yet, there are 3 movies known to be in the pipe (tentative titles, of course):
- Iron Man 3 (May 3 2013)
- Thor 2 (Nov 15 2013)
- Captain America 2 (Apr 4 2014)

Then there's the two other release dates they've announced for future Marvel Cinematic Universe movies (May 26 2014, June 27 2014) that currently don't have any titles attached to them.

Plus there's been persistent rumours that a Nick Fury and/or S.H.I.E.L.D. movie is in the cards. While there's been no official word on this, Samuel L. Jackson is contracted for more Marvel movies than have yet been announced, so it's still possible. A week or two ago, Scarlett Johansson said that she's hoping for a Black Widow movie down the line. And The Avengers is almost guaranteed to make dump trucks of money, so I imagine an Avengers 2 is very, very likely.

Presumably, all of these will take place chronologically post-Avengers.

Further to this....it came out today Mark Ruffalo has a 6-picture deal to play the Hulk (http://marketsaw.blogspot.ca/2012/05/ruffalo-has-6-picture-deal-with-marvel.html). So besides The Avengers, expect 5 more Marvel movies with him in it.

jelgate
May 1st, 2012, 04:01 PM
It will probably something simliar to Samuel Jackson where he has only a few scenes

DigiFluid
May 1st, 2012, 04:03 PM
Well there's Avengers, Hulk 2 is already confirmed, Avengers 2 is pretty much a lock. That's three already, but I wouldn't be surprised if you're right and he appears in a couple of small spots as Dr Banner advising someone.

Flyboy
May 7th, 2012, 12:24 PM
Excellent! Thanks guys, I appreciate the information! :D

BJdavidLS
May 7th, 2012, 01:56 PM
I had grappled with whether I should place Hulk or Thor before the other. They are so close it really could go either way. I wish there could be some sort of official timeline.

The following post contains spoilers for Iron Man 2, Thor and The Incredible Hulk! (for those who haven't seen them yet)

But there is an official timeline. It's in the comics "Avengers Prelude, Fury's Big Week", the marvel cinematic universe official tie-in comics.
Thor fights his way to his hammer a day after Stark defeats Whiplash and his droids.
The next day the Hulk battles at Culver University and later, I believe that in the same day, the destroyer is defeated by Thor and the day after that Blonsky becomes the abomination and battles the Hulk. So it all ends within the same week.
One year later Captain America is found.

Infinite-Possibilities
May 13th, 2012, 07:28 PM
The 2008 Hulk is in continuity with the other films and worth seeing but I think it's actually the least important in the build up to the Avengers. I might go as far as to say it's not truly essential viewing to understand The Avengers.

Does it take place before or after Iron Man 2? The end credits scene seems like it takes place after the events of Iron Man 2 even though it was made first.

BJdavidLS
May 15th, 2012, 12:04 PM
Anyway, for all those still interested, there's a good, quite comprehensive, timeline here:
http://www.tiki-toki.com/timeline/entry/5395/A-Marvel-Cinematic-Universe-Timeline/

Snowman37
May 15th, 2012, 09:18 PM
Really, does the timeline matter all that much? I'm not a comic book fan, and I don't really care about the Hulk. When he goes green, he becomes a visual effect. Eh... Iron Man, Captain America, and Thor; now that's who's bringing me to see The Avengers. Oh, and Samuel Jackson too. As for viewing order... Let me ask this. Will watching the films out of the order in which they were released confuse a viewer? If not, why does it matter? As long as you seen Iron Man before Iron Man 2 and the other movies before The Avengers, that should be sufficient, no?

Infinite-Possibilities
June 11th, 2012, 11:36 AM
Captian America is actually probably better to watch after Thor. Red Skull's plan hinges on obtaining a comic aritfact from Asgard.

blueray
June 11th, 2012, 06:04 PM
i'd say thor is really important to because of loki .

as for order, i don't think it matters. as long as you watch all of them.

Morgania
June 11th, 2012, 08:10 PM
I saw Thor first (and a couple other times, because of Loki.)

According to the timeline, Tony Stark built his first circuit board on his fourth birthday?

Morbo
June 12th, 2012, 08:53 AM
uh, all of them are in someway pertinent story wise with the exception of Hulk I think. But they all have bits and pieces that sew together to make the whole - especially the post-credits scenes.

Thor and Captain America have the more direct correlation.

Why not just watch them all anyway?