sci-fi shows more common to get cancelled

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

sci-fi shows more common to get cancelled

I feel like these days sci-fi shows should aim to only produce a few seasons unless they see a huge amount of views coming in from the first season, I say this because so many sci-fi ashows I've watched have been cancelled, ill place a list of the ones i can remember at the top of my head later but does anyone agree that it seems like nearly every sci-fi show ends up getting cancelled eventually these days and are not ending with a real ending its like they just want to keep making episodes until it gets cancelled and don't care about the end. opinions?

shows I watched that got cancelled
    stargate atlantis
    sgu
    tru calling
    mysterious ways
    seven 7 days
    Heroes
    flashforward
    V
    The event
    the invisible man
    angel
    jake 2.0
    john doe
    Surface
    Last edited by tomaso88; 25 April 2012, 02:16 AM.

I didn't watch all of these but some were definitely more than one series before cancelling - SGA and Angel (which I did watch and now own) were both 5 series - saying that I think both would have benefited from a final series when it was known at the beginning that this was to be the last and could have been scripted accordingly.

I think SGU ended too soon - my least favourite of the SG franchise but had scope. I will also be upset if Alcatraz doesn't get renewed as this has potential.

Comment

Scifi shows are more expensive and so are more at risk of being cancelled. A lot of the shows you listed only got 1 or 2 seasons, not enough time to tell the story they wanted, or wrap it up properly.

And SGA was supposed to have a movie or even movies to wrap it up, but then the whole MGM debacle happened and that fell through.

Comment

Sci-Fi shows do often have shorter runs than otehr shows for simple reasons. They are more expensive to make and they appeal to a smaller audience. This does not work in their favour.
        sigpic
        Banner By JME2

Comment

Originally posted by Crazedwraith View Post
          Sci-Fi shows do often have shorter runs than otehr shows for simple reasons. They are more expensive to make and they appeal to a smaller audience. This does not work in their favour.
          In the end this is the reason. Networks want money. Cheap shows that can engage a large audience is what they are always looking for.
          sigpic

Favorite quote:
          McKay: You shot me!
          Sheppard: Yes, Rodney, I shot you, and I said I was sorry.
          Ronon: You shot me, too.
          Sheppard: I’m sorry for shooting everyone!

Comment

The only shows of those listed that I was sorry were cancelled

John Doe - really liked
            Surface - had problems but I would have liked to see what they did with a 2nd season

Angel - quit watching in the last season, some before too
            sigpic

To see the complete animated picture timeline of the comet landing - http://xkcd1446.org/#7

From the wonderful XKCD site http://xkcd.com/1446/

Comment

The only shows of those listed that I was sorry were cancelled

John Doe - really liked
              Surface - had problems but I would have liked to see what they did with a 2nd season

Angel - sorry it went downhill, but quit watching in the last season, some before too
              sigpic

To see the complete animated picture timeline of the comet landing - http://xkcd1446.org/#7

From the wonderful XKCD site http://xkcd.com/1446/

Comment

Originally posted by tomaso88 View Post
                I feel like these days sci-fi shows should aim to only produce a few seasons unless they see a huge amount of views coming in from the first season
                All TV shows are produced on a season-by-season basis. Also, cancellations aren't always foreseen. I think you're more frustrated with cancelled shows that had story arcs that went unresolved. Remember the old days when shows were episodic? A cancellation at worst was simply a season finale cliffhanger (Part 1 of 2) that went unresolved.

does anyone agree that it seems like nearly every sci-fi show ends up getting cancelled eventually these days and are not ending with a real ending its like they just want to keep making episodes until it gets cancelled and don't care about the end. opinions?
                That's generally the way it goes. Producers want the show to go on for as long as it can.

stargate atlantis
                Surface
                I only watched these two shows from what you listed. The Atlantis writers seemed to be running out of ideas by the fifth season, so it ended at the right time. As for the finale, I loved it! Atlantis on Earth, great, no? As for Surface, I think anyone who's seen the show will agree that it was a crime to cancel it. I think NBC just didn't "get" it.

Comment

maybe sci fi shows should only be released as mini series then I dont know all I know is I'm a huge sci fi fan and im sick of getting in to a show and then having it ended up cancelled I mean I wasn't to surprised heroes was cancelled since the last season wasn't awesome but it had potential for the next season and same with atlantis, when a show starts to fail they really should just plan a good last season or atleast plan a good 2 hour film or something

Comment

maybe sci fi shows should only be released as mini series then
                    Miniseries really don't do well these days on American television. When they are produced, they're usually only two or three episodes. After trimming commercials, you've basically got two or three 90-minute "movies" telling a big story. How is this a sufficient replacement for a weekly TV series?

im sick of getting in to a show and then having it ended up cancelled
                    This problem isn't limited to science-fiction.

when a show starts to fail they really should just plan a good last season or atleast plan a good 2 hour film or something
                    When a show starts to fail, the network pulls the plug that season. Sometimes the writers get a head's up in advance so a last-minute ending can be crafted. An example of this is the final episode of Enterprise. Though it's quality is debatable, it is a last-minute attempt at a series finale given that cancellation was announced with only three or four episodes left to produce. As for a TV movie, no network is going to commit to a TV movie based on a show that they cancelled. The only exception to this would be if it was the producers who had wanted to end the show. If the network wanted it to continue, but the producers did not, then the network might push for TV movie specials.

Comment

Working...
                    X