PDA

View Full Version : Things you've learned about surviving the Zombie Apocalypse...

beafly
April 10th, 2012, 12:07 PM
So, I've only been able to watch through Season One on Netflix so far, but I'm hooked.

My wife and I had started an interesting discussion that I thought I'd share...

What have you learned about surviving the Zombie Apocalypse from The Walking Dead?

The two things we came up with quickly were:

Suppressors on firearms (strangely absent from the movie)...

Live on a Sail Boat...

Ukko
April 10th, 2012, 01:22 PM
Swords are useful.
Although i already knew this.:p

Morbo
April 10th, 2012, 03:01 PM
zombie continuity

ScifiKara
April 10th, 2012, 04:15 PM
Trust no one :weiranime42: :P

The Mighty 6 platoon
April 10th, 2012, 04:57 PM
Avoid being in groups with children wearing sheriff hats. :P

the fifth man
April 11th, 2012, 09:20 PM
I would try to live on some island somewhere. You go there, take care of any zombies already present, and you are all set. No more will be coming.

cosmichobo
April 12th, 2012, 02:22 AM
As much as I would want to believe I would survive any zombie apocalypse... I just wouldn't. :}

If nothing else, I have osteoporosis, so I'd likely break my arms before breaking zombie heads with a cricket bat...

I'm also about 20kg overweight... Mind you, Otis survived somehow... :)

I guess what you need is a group of people you can survive with... by providing something the group needs...

Training with a bow and arrow would prove useful... and yes indeed, where are all the silencers for those guns!!!

the fifth man
April 12th, 2012, 05:21 PM
All I know is that I would do everything in my power to not become a meal for a zombie or group of zombies.

cosmichobo
April 12th, 2012, 06:42 PM
All I know is that I would do everything in my power to not become a meal for a zombie or group of zombies.

Always keep 1 bullet in reserve...

the fifth man
April 14th, 2012, 08:35 PM
Always keep 1 bullet in reserve...

Yeah, no kidding. That would be a much better way to go than being eaten alive.

The Flyattractor
April 15th, 2012, 05:21 PM
Pick your Teammates very very VERY carefully.
And leave your best friend/wife,and kids at home to survive on their own.
Get a winnabago.

cosmichobo
April 15th, 2012, 11:08 PM
Pick your Teammates very very VERY carefully.
And leave your best friend/wife,and kids at home to survive on their own.
Get a winnabago.

*lol* Ok hon, good luck now, look after the kids, don't open the door for strangers... oh err or zombies... Love you, bye.

I think it would be very hard - picking the right people... Makes me think of the short lived remake of "Survivors" by the BBC... the murderer, who basically helped the group survive because... he was a hardened criminal... could fight dirty... knew how to use weapons... But, would you want him as a friend...?

Frankly a zombie invasion/other apocalyptic event could be a great chance to get rid of some of humanity's less ideal traits, but to live through the event, you would need "those" people...

(Am a firm believer, having seen a few docos, that "aggressive" people - typically those that end up in jail for violent crimes - are a victim of their genes...)

hart37
April 16th, 2012, 03:21 AM
Yeah I'd definitely try and get somewhere secluded and try and kill all the zombies in the area. Then get back to living. Being in Australia there are a bucket load of isolated areas and islands around the coast line. Being in Victoria I might even be able to find an old gold mine and convert it into a refuge

the fifth man
April 16th, 2012, 07:27 PM
Yeah I'd definitely try and get somewhere secluded and try and kill all the zombies in the area. Then get back to living. Being in Australia there are a bucket load of isolated areas and islands around the coast line. Being in Victoria I might even be able to find an old gold mine and convert it into a refuge

It is a good idea.

DigiFluid
April 16th, 2012, 07:32 PM
From the show?

Women are whiny hypocritical shrews who are not to be trusted.

Men are arrogant hypocrites who make repeated dumb decisions and rarely learn from their mistakes.

If you have a young daughter, don't ever let her out of your sight. She can't possibly survive 10 minutes alone.

If you have a young son, don't worry about a thing if he wanders off. The elements, walkers, gunshots-- *spit* He'll be fine.

cosmichobo
April 17th, 2012, 12:03 AM
What you need is a farm... Err, not just cos of S2 of the show...

You may be able to scavenge food for a while, but eventually you'll need to grow your own...

And you'll need a big fence, unless you REALLY know you aren't going to get any walkers come along...

(It hasn't really been heavily pushed as to how easy you can contract zombieism in The Walking Dead (other than bite/scratch), but if their blood CAN spread it, then you don't want zombies walking through your corn crops, drooling and bleeding everywhere... not to mention when you go take care of them... may get a tad messy...)

LT. COL. John Sheppard
April 17th, 2012, 01:19 AM
don't trust bunny's :weiranime42:
http://forum.gateworld.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=23574&d=1229979995 pic by Falcon Horus :p
seriously though grab guns some mates a Car and drive as far away as posible

mr_kennedy
April 17th, 2012, 08:35 PM
^ buffy had already taught me not to trust Bunnies and that they were evil :D

From this show

Blades are your friend, looking at the group of survivors in the show your only friend :lol:

LT. COL. John Sheppard
April 17th, 2012, 10:49 PM
oh yes and some Rock Music

knowles2
May 3rd, 2012, 01:38 PM
If you going to stay in one place, build something stronger than a wooden fence to keep the zombies out.

LT. COL. John Sheppard
May 6th, 2012, 03:03 AM
in regards to that more advice don't stop moving

mr_kennedy
May 6th, 2012, 05:25 PM
If you going to stay in one place, build something stronger than a wooden fence to keep the zombies out.

Like an Electric Fence :D

cosmichobo
May 6th, 2012, 07:06 PM
Like an Electric Fence :D

Then you need 24/7 power supply... difficult to maintain in a post apocalyptic world, with no power stations... Solar could help, but you'd need good battery backup for night time/winter... Wind power is I believe even less reliable... Generators need fuel... and there'd only be so many fuel stations you could rob, or abandoned cars to siphon...

(All problems I've been considering for my own tv concept... :) )

knowles2
May 7th, 2012, 04:30 PM
I was think something like a castle or prison or this Zombie proof house

http://all-that-is-interesting.com/post/4956385434/the-first-zombie-proof-house

Of cause you need something big, with enough space inside to become completely self reliant.

cosmichobo
May 7th, 2012, 06:30 PM
Reign of Fire saw one of humanity's last outposts set up in a castle... quite appropriate when fighting dragons! But yes, would offer lots of resistance against zombies too.

The zombie proof house is amazing! I thought I was the one with too much time on my hands... :)

Teddybrown
May 8th, 2012, 04:29 PM
That house is awesome!

the fifth man
May 9th, 2012, 07:18 PM
That house is awesome!

It is awe inspiring.

escyos
May 10th, 2012, 07:18 PM
One thing I learned is don't ever assume that a bunch of abandoned buildings/cars are not plagued with zombies. Why exactly people wander off on their own, go around corners without checking etc is beyond stupid. Constantly check every nook and cranny, people should only move back to back.

If the zombies are attracted to sound, I would have some sort of sound system or explosives to draw them away if needed. Plus using shrapnel in a crossbow like device, to have minimal sound and shred multiple zombies. Even a simple lighter and can of deodorant would torch them.

(Why they are concerned with fixing an RV is beyond me, wheres the schoolbus covered in armor and spikes with flamethrowers on top?)

cosmichobo
May 11th, 2012, 05:40 AM
One thing I learned is don't ever assume that a bunch of abandoned buildings/cars are not plagued with zombies.

Yeah... It's a bit annoying too, when they actually are shown to check pretty heavily, then a surprise zombie crops up...

I would have some sort of sound system or explosives to draw them away

They have used sound a few times to draw zombies away from an area (very early on - driving the ?Corvette? with horn blasting etc...) But yes, it is under used... and of course, when guns are fired, it should be a uniform reaction - ie we hard a whole heard come calling after a few gunshots at the end of S2... well there's been plenty other times this should have happened too...

Why they are concerned with fixing an RV is beyond me

Nooooooooooooooo.... Awww that poor RV.... It shall be missed.

escyos
May 11th, 2012, 10:00 PM
Also why people must get carried away with looking at something (such as a dead deer) while a zombie attacks them from behind.

Did ANYONE ever think that a farm fence could hold back any amounts of zombies? Why no one would think about fortifying a prison (yes I know they are going to) or military base in the first place as opposed to pitching tents in the woods...

cosmichobo
May 12th, 2012, 05:07 AM
As I see it, the problem with fortifying a prison, firstly is that it's likely full of zombies, so a small group would need to be very very careful to try such a feat... not to mention if the original inhabitants are actually still in situ...

But eventually it's certainly going to be the non walkers that you have to worry about, and a prison would be a good place to set up a strong perimeter... long as there's room for a vegie garden.

escyos
May 12th, 2012, 03:08 PM
As I see it, the problem with fortifying a prison, firstly is that it's likely full of zombies, so a small group would need to be very very careful to try such a feat... not to mention if the original inhabitants are actually still in situ...

But eventually it's certainly going to be the non walkers that you have to worry about, and a prison would be a good place to set up a strong perimeter... long as there's room for a vegie garden.

Well you open up the doors and lead all the zombies out. Also if the prisoners were left in their cells when the guard fled, they would have most likely died of starvation, then turned, but would have been unable to leave and themselves would starve.

I would allow any uninfected inside the walls but if they broke the rules they would be thrown out. Grab any solar panels and wind turbines you can, set them up to provide light and heat. Most prisons have a large outdoor yard you could grow food in, plus if you needed to, you could expand outside the walls, dig a trench lined with spiked sticks, so zombies would get trapped.

Not only that but everyone should have to check-in with a central office everyday to ensure no one killed themselves during the night and so you wouldn't have a zombie problem.

Guldkatt
May 12th, 2012, 04:50 PM
"Double Tap"

Though I learned that from some other place... :)

MIZA
May 23rd, 2012, 05:42 PM
I like having a place with high fences, but if they are like the zombies from resident evil there is a possibility they can dig underground.

cosmichobo
June 6th, 2012, 12:00 AM
I think the critical thing would be finding other survivors, as without at least 500 people, your gene pool is stuffed... (basing that on some vague recollection from the 90's, may be completely wrong, but you'd need enough people to start a structured breeding program)

Just picturing a new movie idea...

Start with patient Zero... taken to a hospital... doctors not sure what's wrong... lose the patient... then the patient revives... and the anarchy begins... Fade Out...

Fade In on a sole survivor on a small sailing ship... a year or so later... coming in occasionally to port to scavenge for non fishy food/parts, but never finding another human... Is he (or she) the last human...?

(Of course, they wont be, as they never are... just see The Quiet Earth or I Am Legend...)

mrscopterdoc
June 13th, 2012, 07:44 PM
Avoid being in groups with children wearing sheriff hats. :P
:lol: "Carl! Get in the house!"

DTMobius
September 2nd, 2012, 10:20 PM
I would try to live on some island somewhere. You go there, take care of any zombies already present, and you are all set. No more will be coming.

This gives me and idea! wait no, they did that video game already :)

DTMobius
September 2nd, 2012, 11:18 PM
well I am a military brat so I have a plan in case of the ZA...
Step 1 me an the friends I have that arnt useless...(About 8 of them) Meet up at my place since its in the middle of nowhere comparatively and fairly defensible. Wait till infection has claimed majority of victims and cleared out reserve military left at bases for defense. (a month or 2)

Step 2 Two of said friends are military (and smart enough to recognize a ZA and get the hell out) and have the armory keys to the 3 military bases within 45 mins of my house...So step 2 drive to military bases an recon for the least overrun base....

Step 3 Raid said base for MRE's, PX for Ramen noodles and all the bottled water they have in stock. Raid Armories and stock up on all the weapons still available. (+ ammo and silencers :))

Step 4 (Ideally) Jack a CH-47D (this is the US favored double rotor heavy transport chopper.) Which can carry up to 12ish tons of cargo at max load and has all the attachments for airdrops, troop drops, extraction, vehicle transport...etc, as well as being armed itself. Or a blackhawk or some other load carrying chopper. Head to an oil rig or offshore local...

Step 5 ESTABLISH BASE

Step 6 Return to mainland to restock (if needed) and acquire multiple high speed, quick run watercraft for stock and supply runs to the mainland as well as a larger yacht or other ship with applicable helipad/rig-able helipad. (Probably a smaller military craft since no privately own boats I know of can handle a CH-47D...)

Step 7 Construction on all acquired objects to make them ZA ready (3 of my friends have Architect/Engineering majors/masters/backgrounds)

Step 8 Search for acceptable land mass to make safe haven for survivors (clear out if necessary)
some island somewhere. You go there, take care of any zombies already present, and you are all set. No more will be coming.

Step 9 LOCK & LOAD, Return to mainland (in short runs of course.)

Step 10 Search for survivors and re-establish human dominance

Other details

my other friends: one is a very talented microbiologist, one is X Special Forces, and the last is a very PyroManiac but briliant chemist/physicist with a demolitions license...

But what I learned from this series....I want a nice SHINY Red Charger :)

Kernel_Macgyver
November 22nd, 2012, 07:43 PM
Number one rule: Under no circumstances do you piss off rick!

cosmichobo
December 3rd, 2012, 04:36 AM
DTMobius - just don't forget to plant some crops, and create a breeding program for the survivors... Gotta take care of the remaining gene pool...

jmoz
April 26th, 2013, 11:03 PM
To avoid...destroy a horde, climb a tree, equip Herschel with shotgun+infinite ammo+headshot accuracy

mr_kennedy
April 30th, 2013, 09:05 PM
To avoid...destroy a horde, climb a tree, equip Herschel with shotgun+infinite ammo+headshot accuracy

Herschel already knew this but to get infinity ammo, just press Up, Down, Left, Right, Square, Square, Triangle

Teddybrown
May 1st, 2013, 11:01 AM
Avoid a man with an eye patch...

the fifth man
May 1st, 2013, 11:18 AM
Avoid a man with an eye patch...

Yeah, that should be in the Top 10 for sure.:)

jmoz
May 1st, 2013, 08:58 PM
Expect to hate someone but take solace that they will be dead by the end of the season...I mean year...

Wulfmann
May 20th, 2013, 11:17 AM
I was pretty well set for the ZA but after Sandy Hook Obama showed his true colors (No pun intended) and did the "We gotta change" thing meaning ban AR15/AK47s and well people started throwing money at me and I could not resist so sold off 80% of my ammo stash (and bought a new house, LOL, seriously)

So now I would be out of ammo after taking out 40,000 zombs. Hopefully prcies will drop and supply will increase so I can restock

Lose weight, get into shape so you can move quickly: Zombies hate fast food!

On a more likely note if we ever have a serious collapse there will be plenty of real zombies of the 47% group that may not be walking dead but they will act like it.

The island is the best option but unlikely for most of us

Wulfmann

Aesop
July 30th, 2013, 02:31 PM
Things I've learned:

1) It'd be wise to become proficient in archery (or with a crossbow).
2) Life be easier in a zombie apocalypse if I were a vegetarian (food gathering vs. hunting).
3) Take fencing lessons so I can dominate with a katana or something.
4) Find a car that is capable in various forms of terrain but also fairly conservative with fuel, like a Suzuki Samurai.
5) Learn to ride a horse.
6) Try to keep up a supply of penicillin and what not to battle infections.
7) Keep a couple of small solar setups handy if possible (such as those manufactured for RV's)

Yeah, no kidding. That would be a much better way to go than being eaten alive.

That was my thinking. I would be willing to bet places like Hawai'i and Easter Island are pretty safe havens. Even though it's possible Hawaiians are infected with the same contagion that's affected everyone else, they probably stand a better chance than the mainland.

I never saw World War Z but from the previews it seemed like survivors were congregating on aircraft carriers and such, I'm surprised they haven't done that in Walking Dead. There ought to at least be attempts to ferry survivors to more isolated places islands in the South Pacific.

I was pretty well set for the ZA but after Sandy Hook Obama showed his true colors (No pun intended) and did the "We gotta change" thing meaning ban AR15/AK47s and well people started throwing money at me and I could not resist so sold off 80% of my ammo stash (and bought a new house, LOL, seriously)

So now I would be out of ammo after taking out 40,000 zombs. Hopefully prcies will drop and supply will increase so I can restock

Lose weight, get into shape so you can move quickly: Zombies hate fast food!

On a more likely note if we ever have a serious collapse there will be plenty of real zombies of the 47% group that may not be walking dead but they will act like it.

The island is the best option but unlikely for most of us

Wulfmann

That's irrelevant, no need to soapbox about this stuff here. Truth be told, there would probably be plenty of assault rifles and LMG's lying around when the metal hits the meat.

McAvoy
August 21st, 2013, 05:57 PM
Rule of thumb. Stay moving. Stay in open areas and the reason behind this is that it's much easier to avoid zombies that you can see from a distance then a zombie that is ten feet away in a hallway. Keep weapons like knives, swords and even metal bats handy. Become proficient in firing bows or crossbows and need to learn how to create arrows.

If you were to setup a permanent camp, make sure it has at best two to three entrances, of which all three can be easily closed. Make sure the walls are thick, tall and durable. Like a brick wall for example. Make sure you have enough space in this place to grow crops and if need be, livestock.

Trust no one.

Ukko
August 30th, 2013, 04:28 AM
As much as I would want to believe I would survive any zombie apocalypse... I just wouldn't. :}

If nothing else, I have osteoporosis, so I'd likely break my arms before breaking zombie heads with a cricket bat...

I'm also about 20kg overweight... Mind you, Otis survived somehow... :)

I guess what you need is a group of people you can survive with... by providing something the group needs...

Training with a bow and arrow would prove useful... and yes indeed, where are all the silencers for those guns!!!

Keep cosmichobo around, that way, when the zombies come, i can escape while they are busy eating him :p

cosmichobo
August 30th, 2013, 04:47 AM
Keep cosmichobo around, that way, when the zombies come, i can escape while they are busy eating him :p

Ahh, well yes see, that's true, but then I might turn into a nasty Shane and shoot out your knee caps... :}

squirrely1
September 3rd, 2013, 07:52 PM
apparently they shop around for the best cell phone prices as well :S

http://www.ispot.tv/ad/7qGD/sprint-unlimited-my-way-zombie

Kenton-Atlantis
January 12th, 2014, 12:41 AM
As Yoda says. You Must Train Yourself To Let Go... Of Everything You Fear To Lose. To survive something like this you would half to become so used to losing people around you. It would be very difficult

DJsGirl
March 27th, 2014, 09:42 AM
I would need a small island or a prison. Everyone should sleep with a bell strapped to them in case they die in their sleep. Land to grow food, fruit and nut trees would be a plus. Chickens. Antibiotics. Solar energy panels and solar generators. Guns, amo and crossbows, and tools. An all terrain vehicle, car or truck.

The Flyattractor
March 31st, 2014, 07:50 PM
What I have learned is to be very, very, very, VERY careful when you decide if your going to join up with a group.

Cause Rick's group.....they a bunch a dumb asses.

Teddybrown
April 1st, 2014, 02:04 AM
Don't piss Rick off... :p

Pharaoh Hamenthotep
April 17th, 2016, 12:02 PM
I learned to always wear a helmet.. Skulls in the Walking Dead universe are so soft that even the smallest knives can pass through them with little to no resistance.. :S

mr_kennedy
April 17th, 2016, 02:03 PM
Don't be a stormtrooper, that aiming + zombies chasing you=you dead

Brother Freyr
April 17th, 2016, 11:58 PM
What have you learned about surviving the Zombie Apocalypse from The Walking Dead?Acquire a TWD-style knife that:

penetrates zombie skulls as if they were kickballs instead of bone
never becomes stuck in a zombie's skull