PDA

View Full Version : HBO renews Game of Thrones for a third season!

Arative
April 10th, 2012, 10:46 AM
HBO RENEWS GAME OF THRONES FOR THIRD SEASON
First Episode Of The Second Season Has Already Grossed 8.3 Million Viewers

LOS ANGELES, April 10, 2012 – HBO has renewed GAME OF THRONES for a third season, it was announced today by Michael Lombardo, president, HBO Programming.

“Series creators David Benioff and D.B. Weiss raised our expectations for the second season – and then surpassed them,” said Lombardo. “We are thrilled by all the viewer and media support we’ve received for the series, and can’t wait to see what Dan and David have in store for next season.” (http://winteriscoming.net/2012/04/hbo-renews-game-of-thrones-for-a-third-season/)

Gen. Chris
April 10th, 2012, 11:31 AM
I came here to post this but you beat me.

Woohoo!

Sp!der
April 10th, 2012, 11:38 AM
Yeah, it was obvious that they would renewed it,although I have not seen season two yet...wwwwwoooooooooooooohoooooooooooo! :D

Promethius30
April 10th, 2012, 11:44 AM
Super news, not surprised at all!

chrono trigger
April 10th, 2012, 12:14 PM
im so happy about this:D just imagine if they manage to do all 7 seasons it will probably go down as one of the best saga's in tv history.

Gen. Chris
April 10th, 2012, 12:41 PM
im so happy about this:D just imagine if they manage to do all 7 seasons it will probably go down as one of the best saga's in tv history.

Yeah but at this rate the show will catch up with the books :P

magictrick
April 10th, 2012, 01:33 PM

Or it will put pressure on GRRM to write the last two books faster! :P

mrinflictor
April 10th, 2012, 02:20 PM
Just a note: the 3rd book will be split up into 2 seasons, so that gives GRRM another year for the last books.

Gen. Chris
April 10th, 2012, 02:56 PM

Perhaps. But still :P

Morbo
April 10th, 2012, 03:02 PM
we landed on the moon?

Skydiver
April 10th, 2012, 05:11 PM
I like that they can renew it early in the season...gives them time to wrap stuff up. or are they done taping s2? I'm not up on that stuff.

Gen. Chris
April 10th, 2012, 05:18 PM
I like that they can renew it early in the season...gives them time to wrap stuff up. or are they done taping s2? I'm not up on that stuff.

I think they are completely done with season two. I believe principal photography ended in December

chrono trigger
April 10th, 2012, 06:18 PM

im worried about that but im hoping he will get books 6&7 done a bit quicker now he knows the show has been such a hit.

Skydiver
April 10th, 2012, 06:23 PM
let's hope. However he's writing one of the season 3 episodes, #6 or 7 i think

DigiFluid
April 10th, 2012, 06:37 PM
Hopefully. Though I imagine that for (at least) books 4 and 5, they'll probably try to intertwine the stories of both books instead of doing the geographical separation thing. I imagine it would make that part of the story take at least two seasons/years, if not more.

Just a note: the 3rd book will be split up into 2 seasons, so that gives GRRM another year for the last books.
That's a rumour, nobody has confirmed any such thing.

Skydiver
April 10th, 2012, 06:41 PM
from his livejournal account

Yes, it's official.

HBO has ordered a third season of GAME OF THRONES.

Like the first two seasons, it will be ten episodes long. This one will cover (roughly) the first half or thereabouts of A STORM OF SWORDS, the third novel in the series.

I'll be writing the seventh episode, with the working title "Autumn Storms."

Full details can be found at a dozen other places on the web, so I won't rehash 'em here. Just wanted to pass along the news to my faithful readers.

We had a grab event tonight at the Bloomsbury Theatre. Now I'm tired. night, all.

http://grrm.livejournal.com/

DigiFluid
April 10th, 2012, 07:01 PM
Bam, confirmation. Awesome.

The Mighty 6 platoon
April 10th, 2012, 07:16 PM
Bam, confirmation. Awesome.

Yeah the showrunners, David and Dan confirmed that some time ago. It was always their intention to split up a Storm Of Swords. The major rumour going round was that the show would be renewed for seasons 3 and 4 and they would be shot back to back, but they both shot this idea down, as it would be an unfeasible amount of work for them.

Gen. Chris
April 10th, 2012, 08:06 PM
Hopefully. Though I imagine that for (at least) books 4 and 5, they'll probably try to intertwine the stories of both books instead of doing the geographical separation thing. I imagine it would make that part of the story take at least two seasons/years, if not more.

So the fourth and fifth books cover roughly the same timespan, just from different perspectives?

And yay for 3rd book being split between 2 seasons. That means even more GoT awesomeness, but probably means I will have to read the books instead of doing my plan of reading the book after each season, since I haven't read the books.

Skydiver
April 10th, 2012, 08:18 PM
Yeah. Feast of crows? And dance with dragons take place during the same time, which was kinda funky to read. Like, jan - August or whatever for a few of the characters, then jan - august all over again. And with dragons the reader knows characters fates before the other characters do.

Gen. Chris
April 10th, 2012, 08:25 PM
Yeah. Feast of crows? And dance with dragons take place during the same time, which was kinda funky to read. Like, jan - August or whatever for a few of the characters, then jan - august all over again. And with dragons the reader knows characters fates before the other characters do.

Well maybe they will still have 1 season for each book, they will just intertwine the stories, and have the approximate halfway point in each book as the end of the first of those two seasons.

VampyreWraith
April 10th, 2012, 11:01 PM
I'm very happy that it's been renewed:D
I'm glad they're splitting ASoS into 2 seasons. I'm pretty sure they'll blend books 4 and 5 together, but hopefully they won't try to squash everything in those two books into one season. Some stuff could be cut out or condensed, but I still think it would be too much for one season only. I hope the show does well enough to make it through all the way to the end the series(I think it will):D; GRRM just better be finished with the series by then though :P .

Gen. Chris
April 10th, 2012, 11:37 PM
I'm very happy that it's been renewed:D
I'm glad they're splitting ASoS into 2 seasons. I'm pretty sure they'll blend books 4 and 5 together, but hopefully they won't try to squash everything in those two books into one season. Some stuff could be cut out or condensed, but I still think it would be too much for one season only. I hope the show does well enough to make it through all the way to the end the series(I think it will):D; GRRM just better be finished with the series by then though :P .

I hope so too. With Seasons 1 & 2 taking up Books 1 & 2, Book 3 being split into Seasons 3 and 4, potentially books 4 and 5 getting two seasons, and then book six and seven getting a season apiece, that's 8 seasons. And that's if no more books are split.

Skydiver
April 11th, 2012, 04:17 AM
What I hope they're going to do with 4 and 5 is do what GRRM started with, chronological order. He then divided it up when the book was just too massive, and chose to split it up along character lines instead of timeline.

Well if there's a good middle point event maybe 4 and 5 are two separate seasons, but the story is told chronologically instead of basically not seeing Jon and the Night's Watch for a season then doing a 'oh, by the way.....'

Retelling will be confusing and frustrating to many and could hurt ratings right at a vulnerable point in the show (season 3+ is when ratings tend to start dropping off)

DigiFluid
April 11th, 2012, 09:32 AM
Well maybe they will still have 1 season for each book, they will just intertwine the stories, and have the approximate halfway point in each book as the end of the first of those two seasons.

What I hope they're going to do with 4 and 5 is do what GRRM started with, chronological order. He then divided it up when the book was just too massive, and chose to split it up along character lines instead of timeline.

Yeah, that's what I said earlier in the thread, would probably be a good idea :D

Skydiver
April 11th, 2012, 05:46 PM
I can't say that I agree with how GRRM divided it up. Book 5 was kinda hard to read having to remember to rewind history. You sorta started book 5 having a general idea where it'd end.

Gen. Chris
April 11th, 2012, 06:13 PM
I can't say that I agree with how GRRM divided it up. Book 5 was kinda hard to read having to remember to rewind history. You sorta started book 5 having a general idea where it'd end.

I found it difficult to get through LOTR because books 2 and 3 were divided between 2 points of view. I can't imagine a whole book being from one essential perspective with another book being from another.

Morbo
April 11th, 2012, 07:12 PM
we landed on the moon?

underrated post

Gen. Chris
April 12th, 2012, 12:15 PM
Sure, Morbo...Lol

DigiFluid
April 12th, 2012, 12:52 PM
I do need to get back to the books.

I took a break after finishing the second so I wouldn't burn out...I was at the point where if I read "milk of the poppy" or "a man grown" one more time I would've personally hunted down GRRM and smacked him on the head with a thesaurus a couple (dozen) times :lol:

But that aside, they're such good solid entertaining books....really need to get back to them.

Morbo
April 12th, 2012, 06:13 PM
i read 1 and 2 consecutively as well. and took a break after too. reading a few other books before I tackle 3.

totally agree Digi. his language can be mind numbing.

and i swear to god i've never seen anyone give more ****s about the intricate details about a person's wardrobe or sigil than GRRM. jesus. you can almost skip entire pages of text, and have not missed any story because it's just all descriptions.

Skydiver
April 12th, 2012, 07:23 PM
Gotta admit I did notice all the obsessive detail with clothing. too much detail makes me skim.
And then you get to the end of chapters and a character's death can be almost a 'oh by the way......end of chapter'