Ice and Fire are so boring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ice and Fire are so boring

THE FREAKING SERIES OF GAME OF THRONES IS OFF THE GUHEEZY CRAZY COOL! it's like the Lord of the Rings all over again; the books sucked but the series rocked. I d'l'd ice and fire again since the paper back books i bought a few years ago i gave away, so maybe I'll read them this time OR i could just wait on the series every week.

Thank you for shareing. That's pretty interesting given that the story told in GOT is almost idential to the books.
    All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story...

"Scott isn't out. Actually, he'll probably soon get back in, then out, then in, then out, then in, with rhythm and stamina." reddevil 4/22/2010

Comment

Originally posted by Ser Scot A Ellison View Post
      Thank you for shareing. That's pretty interesting given that the story told in GOT is almost idential to the books.
      dido for lord of the rings, and i still hate the books, and the movies of the lor series are among the greatest films in the history of movies. best fantasy series ever was everything by david and leia eddings, followed by the to die for books by frank herbet, I've read all their books over and over again, but I'm barely getting through clash of kings. I had to d'l it since I gave my copies I bought in 05 away. Don't get me wrong mortal, Martin is an off the chain writer, his work is simply boring; truth be told, he's like how stephen king is now. Why, as a child I read stephen king, and like mother's milk his books crafted my view of the world. But a few years ago, everything stephen has written has been so much meh; but like Martin he's a god of the english language, with both of them almost as brilliant as joyce and nabokov.

Comment

Coremae,

Martin is pretty workman like with his prose, in my opinion. There are other much better writers with more poetic prose than Martin.
        All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story...

"Scott isn't out. Actually, he'll probably soon get back in, then out, then in, then out, then in, with rhythm and stamina." reddevil 4/22/2010

Comment

Originally posted by Coremae View Post
          THE FREAKING SERIES OF GAME OF THRONES IS OFF THE GUHEEZY CRAZY COOL! it's like the Lord of the Rings all over again; the books sucked but the series rocked. I d'l'd ice and fire again since the paper back books i bought a few years ago i gave away, so maybe I'll read them this time OR i could just wait on the series every week.
          english
          do you speak it

Comment

Originally posted by Morbo View Post
            english
            do you speak it
            surprisingly no, I've studied the art of grammar, and I've written nearly a million words as David Eddings suggested, but I'm still a novice in the application of words. When I'm talking to people I tend to lose sight of what to say to them, and after suffering frustration, I summarize the conversation or run on with irrelevant mutterings until they're so exhausted they make themselves scarce like a proper person would. Words and context change places regularly in my mind, and before i'm able to use anything of value, I tend to use something almost purposefully in a context where it has no place. And the problem has gotten worse with time, when I was 19 or so, by God I was a brilliant writer, and stuff I've written no more than five years ago is a lot better than anything I could conceive today. My tolerance for other people has also worsened with time, to the point that I'd prefer not to have to talk to anyone about anything, and that goes thrice for typing anything of value. The irony is that I love creating stories, but it is a task (especially now) to write them and place them in order, in the proper context.

Comment

Coremae,

Martin is pretty workman like with his prose, in my opinion. There are other much better writers with more poetic prose than Martin.
              I would love for you to tell me who they are good friend, as you can see, I'm a much better mirror than a writer.

Comment

Coremae,

I'm very fond of Pat Rothfuss's prose. He has quite an elegant turn of phrase.

Comment

gotta watch wapner

Comment

I used to be a fan of the books (when I first read it, only the first 3 were out, I think, and it was primarily because of FFG's card game. Greyjoy Stealth/Unopposed FTW ), but my interest has waned (the wait for AFfC was kinda long, and when I got it, I really didn't feel like it anymore and just skipped chapters/PoVs. I haven't bothered to get ADwD, yet)...

Also, since they change stuff for the series (small stuff, but being familiar w/ the books, I notice), I've kinda resolved to just watching the series.
                    I could try reading the books from scratch, but I can't see myself doing that anytime soon (it doesn't help that my reading backlog gets longer and longer... ...and I think my copy of AGoT and ACoC haven't been returned, yet).
                    sigpic

Comment

just finished the second book in the series, and thus far, I like the t.v. series infinitely better.

Comment

Coremae,

I'm very fond of Pat Rothfuss's prose. He has quite an elegant turn of phrase.
                        I'm on Amazon.com looking for it as I type this, thank you for the heads up.

Comment

the books are incredibly detailed and detailed and detailed. and yes, can be boring at some points because GRRM prattles on for 1.5 pages about some shmuck's breastplates and sigil.
                          overall the story is richer, and the characters much more enjoyable.

season 2 has been a big departure from the source material, much to it's detriment.

keep reading.

Comment

Originally posted by Morbo View Post
                            the books are incredibly detailed and detailed and detailed. and yes, can be boring at some points because GRRM prattles on for 1.5 pages about some shmuck's breastplates and sigil.
                            overall the story is richer, and the characters much more enjoyable.

season 2 has been a big departure from the source material, much to it's detriment.

keep reading.
                            I'll be getting book three either this week coming, or within two weeks or so; my modest salary of two hundred dollars a week leaves a lot to be desired. where i live, logos books store carries not only this, but almost everything from terry books, robert jordan and david and leia eddings, and of those three, david and leia eddings were by far the best. and, I still think, that the greatest fantasy writer of all time is leia and david eddings; may the two of them always rest in peace.

Comment

Odd.

The first book is almost word for word, scene for scene for the first season. A book you can have much more. I mean what do you want? Pictures?
                              Hi There!

Comment

Working...
                              X