Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why is Sanctuary (by Season 4) not more popular?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why is Sanctuary (by Season 4) not more popular?

Hello!

It's hard to look at a show you love from a distance, sometimes. If I went by the positive word of Sanctuary's fans and creators, the show ought to have 5 more seasons guaranteed!

Here's some thoughts on why Sanctuary isn't more popular, which doesn't necessarily speak to quality.

*Network,Scheduling: the biggest reason affecting viewers. It ran after wrestling on Friday nights, and when moved to Monday in Season 3, lost close to 50% of its audience. That's tough on any show, even one skillfully produced on a modest budget.

*Sanctuary is a mythology show: it's about monsters, "Abnormals" and about stigma and tolerance. It's partly serialized, and to understand the show you need to watch previous seasons. A first time viewer could have a hard time following the show. In a nutshell: it's a quirky, cult show whose themes don't relate well to mass audiences. It's not like Buffy the Vampire Slayer, where fighting vampires is pop culture and going to high school is relatable.

* War on Terror: Sanctuary's references to terrorism and genocide, made the show more serious than usual, and I think the subject is painful given it has been analyzed closely for a decade now. It's good that Sanctuary weaves important issues into the show, but this dominated Season 4.

*No central antagonist: The threats that SCIU and the Hollow Earth tribes posed were diffuse, and lacked urgency, through most of the season.

*Lost its Ensemble-ness: If you like a sense of family, and ensemble shows, by Season 4, characters were dropped or had limited showtime (Kate, Druitt, Henry to a degree). The show also focused more on its leads (Magnus, Will), who were fighting each other a lot of the time in Season 4.

I'm not sure how to make a mythology show more accessible to a larger audience. In the past, this meant dumbing down a show (i.e. mindless action), which I'm sure no one wants Sanctuary to do. Perhaps there's just a limitation to what a cult show like Sanctuary can do.

It's an obscure cable show. If not for GateWorld and the SciFi Channel, I never would have heard of it. Meanwhile, Stargate: Atlantis was advertised like crazy. Consequently, I know people who aren't science-fiction fans yet made an exception for the show. Advertising equals awareness equals more viewers.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowman37 View Post
      Advertising equals awareness equals more viewers.
      You're probably right that a lot more advertising (and therefore more $$) would mean more viewers. My argument is that even if you think Sanctuary has good ideas, good writing, that its material (the sanctuary, abnormals) attracts a small group of viewers (ardent viewers, but cult status). The main problem is, that whatever assertions we make, how can we tell what really makes the difference in ratings? (A reasoned debate will usually yield good answers, but it's not easy to prove).

Dean

Comment

ot i agree somewhat other than the part with less henry (there was lot more of him in season 4 ), and i loved how you saw bits of his and helen's relationship (she raised him, i just wish there was a flashback on that).

that being said i love sanctuary for its uniqueness and that it doesn't quite fit into strictly fantasy or sci-fi but crosses into both. the only thing i would really change is that i wish that there was more group episodes (like hangover), its great to see them act like a team and i wish there were more scenes showing them socialize like friends or family.
        sigpic

Comment

What made it so interesting to me is tossing bits of real history into it all...brings up the fun with early SG1, when they were dealing with 'gods' that were from earth's history.

Seeing the 'monsters' that were real earth legends. It brings the whole 'what if' into it that's a lot of fun.
          Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Season 4 was weaker for so many reasons:

The best characters were absent or poorly used. Druitt's "ending" needed much resolution or reaction. Tesla didn't have enough to do. Kate was gone too often, and Biggie gone "evil" made him essentially disappear as well.

Officials from planet moron running various oversight committees. Many shows weaken or die when they attempt to add a governmental structure where they didn't have one before. Restoring the Commonwealth killed Andromeda, and with each new government official that couldn't understand the SG-universe all three shows weakend. Sanctuary was cool because it was outside of those systems, until it suddenly wasn't.

Too much concept, not enough substance. Fugue was a great example of this, and I am not complaining about the mediocre singing. That episode has a weak story. The bottle episode with the electro-rock has the same problem. So did the ice critter one. I saw too much Gavin, snotty Will, and Abby.

Will. I haven't liked him since the days of his dancing, but leaving the viewers with WAY too much Will when everyone else was gone did not make me appreciate Will. It made me hate him more and miss the others even more.

Few Awesome episodes. Fourth season lacks a Normandy. Chimera is good, but why it is good is that the preceding episodes are weak.

I still hope the show gets renewed but only if the crew is back and the show is not full of filler. I either want good Sanctuary or no Sanctuary. I'd rather remember the great episodes on DVD than turn away from the show while it still airs.
            "Trust me. I'm a psychopath." Jekyll

"And I thought the end of the world couldn't get any worse" Ianto-Torchwood

Comment

Originally posted by MasySyma View Post
              Many shows weaken or die when they attempt to add a governmental structure where they didn't have one before ... Sanctuary was cool because it was outside of those systems, until it suddenly wasn't.
              Thanks, it's not something I've considered before. Bureaucracy is boring on tv and real life, and hard to spell ...

Will. I haven't liked him since the days of his dancing, but leaving the viewers with WAY too much Will when everyone else was gone did not make me appreciate Will. It made me hate him more and miss the others even more.
              If there's a universal theme, it's that Will has changed, and not for the better. Melodrama does not great storytelling make, but does make it slightly harder to fall asleep. Ah, that's what the volume button is for ...

I'd rather remember the great episodes on DVD than turn away from the show while it still airs.
              Can't agree more. No season is better than a bad one, absolutely, relatively speaking

Comment

Personally I really dislike the Will character and think RD's acting is awful, which often ruins episodes that heavily focus on him. Especially one of those bottle episodes, with just him and Magnus. It just highlights the contrast between AT and RD's acting and it takes away from my enjoyment.

Also don't like how, as the show progressed, it seemed more like a Will and the gang show (with juvenile humor and Will/Abby "half-clothed on the couch"-scenes) with Magnus being the boss/mother. Instead of Magnus teaching her protege (or said protege actually acting like one) and with her capable other employees.

And like someone else said it's a shame we didn't see more Druitt and Tesla, because they are excellent characters and personally I think their actors and AT are more in the same league when it comes to acting, which makes their scenes all the better.
                Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
                Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
                On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

Season 4 was weaker for so many reasons:

The best characters were absent or poorly used. Druitt's "ending" needed much resolution or reaction. Tesla didn't have enough to do. Kate was gone too often, and Biggie gone "evil" made him essentially disappear as well.

Officials from planet moron running various oversight committees. Many shows weaken or die when they attempt to add a governmental structure where they didn't have one before. Restoring the Commonwealth killed Andromeda, and with each new government official that couldn't understand the SG-universe all three shows weakend. Sanctuary was cool because it was outside of those systems, until it suddenly wasn't.

Too much concept, not enough substance. Fugue was a great example of this, and I am not complaining about the mediocre singing. That episode has a weak story. The bottle episode with the electro-rock has the same problem. So did the ice critter one. I saw too much Gavin, snotty Will, and Abby.

Few Awesome episodes. Fourth season lacks a Normandy. Chimera is good, but why it is good is that the preceding episodes are weak.

I still hope the show gets renewed but only if the crew is back and the show is not full of filler. I either want good Sanctuary or no Sanctuary. I'd rather remember the great episodes on DVD than turn away from the show while it still airs.
                  I agree with what you said about Druitt and Tesla, and it seemed like just what I started to actually like Kate, rather than just tolerate her, she was gone.

Good point about governments and the SG shows. That scenario is getting overused, imo.

While I don't HATE Will, it did seem like he was being pushed to the forefront too much for my liking. And I liked him better when he acted more serious and intelligent (the profiler) instead of whining so much.

Originally posted by fems View Post
                  Personally I really dislike the Will character and think RD's acting is awful, which often ruins episodes that heavily focus on him. Especially one of those bottle episodes, with just him and Magnus. It just highlights the contrast between AT and RD's acting and it takes away from my enjoyment.

Also don't like how, as the show progressed, it seemed more like a Will and the gang show (with juvenile humor and Will/Abby "half-clothed on the couch"-scenes) with Magnus being the boss/mother. Instead of Magnus teaching her protege (or said protege actually acting like one) and with her capable other employees.

And like someone else said it's a shame we didn't see more Druitt and Tesla, because they are excellent characters and personally I think their actors and AT are more in the same league when it comes to acting, which makes their scenes all the better.

*nods in agreement*
                  IDK maybe SyFy was trying to appeal to the younger audience by having Will that way, but I didn't like it, and I don't like the way Magnus had to "mother" him rather than relate to him like someone she hoped would one day step in and run the Sanctuary.

CH and JY are both excellent actors and I so wish we had more episodes with their characters. And I liked seeing CH best as Druitt rather than Biggie.
                  sigpic
                  Thanks to yamiinsane for my lovely sig.

Comment

Originally posted by NumberSix View Post
                    *nods in agreement*
                    IDK maybe SyFy was trying to appeal to the younger audience by having Will that way, but I didn't like it, and I don't like the way Magnus had to "mother" him rather than relate to him like someone she hoped would one day step in and run the Sanctuary.
                    Considering I am part of that younger audience I feel they failed, miserably...
                    Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
                    Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
                    On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

I also feel there was a skiffy influence in Will's 'up front and center' presence. There seems to be a pattern with Skiffy and the 'male lead must be in front' idea.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                        I also feel there was a skiffy influence in Will's 'up front and center' presence. There seems to be a pattern with Skiffy and the 'male lead must be in front' idea.
                        Yes, and they always turn the leading men into semi-buffoons. Cam, Shepard, and later Will are all the same "Guy."

If the wanted a leading man, they should have reformed Druit after they figured out how to destroy his creature.
                        "Trust me. I'm a psychopath." Jekyll

"And I thought the end of the world couldn't get any worse" Ianto-Torchwood

Comment

I agree about there being too much (immature) Will. I wasn't a major Kate fan, but her absence hurt the balance. I wasn't a big fan of the going up against government agencies story arc either. Magnus, the Five and the abnormals are always the most interesting to me.

Comment

Yes, and they always turn the leading men into semi-buffoons. Cam, Shepard, and later Will are all the same "Guy."

If the wanted a leading man, they should have reformed Druit after they figured out how to destroy his creature.
                            In all fairness, Cam and Shepard were probably the same guy because the SG writers thought that archotype was 'freaking awesome'. I very much doubt that had anything to do wih Skiffy.

About reforming Druitt, that would be a bad idea IMO. His darkness is an appeal, a reformation would get rid of that to a degree.

I think season 4 suffered from not being able to get hold of actors that they've been using so readily so improvasarion lead to some... Disappointment.
                            Disclaimer: All opinions stated within this post are relevant to the author herself, and do not in any way represent the opinions of God, Country, The Powers That Be or Greater Fandom.

Any resemblance to aforementioned opinions are purely coincidental.

Comment

druitt all the time would have been boring, imho

but they could have had declan more, and had him more as a partner to magnus....kinda like mommy and daddy to will growing up.

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X