PDA

View Full Version : Does Regina even love Henry? (Possible spoilers as episodes air)

Mrja84
April 5th, 2012, 09:19 AM
Okay, so I read an interview from the actress that plays Regina. She said she felt Regina does care for him and that she is more off put by Emma wanting to come back in his life.

I'm not sure if the show has done a good job of showing that, they do more to show that Henry doesn't trust her and showing how he is growing closer to Emma. No where have I seen, Regina do something that seemed like a mother would do.

Yes, she built a park, but out in the woods where any creepy person can just walk in a grab a kid? Seriously, that's the worst idea for a playground to be surrounded by trees in the woods.

She named him after her father, that's true. But still, I don't think the show let's us see that.

jelgate
April 5th, 2012, 12:00 PM
I don't think Regina is even capable of love anymore after the events of her past.

teyla-nick94
April 5th, 2012, 12:36 PM
I think she cares for him but I doubt she loves him. I agree with jelgate, she's not capable of love anymore after what had happened to Daniel. She blames Snow for that and she is so stubborn about her vengeance that she doesn't even think of a second chance she possibly could have had...

TheRandomOne
April 5th, 2012, 12:57 PM
I doubt it & it is not a coincidence that Regina has Snow Whites Grand Son

Mrja84
April 5th, 2012, 01:00 PM
I doubt it & it is not a coincidence that Regina has Snow Whites Grand Son

There hasn't been any impression she knows who he is or who Emma is. Of course with time starting back up once Emma decides to stay then that could have given her a clue that something was up. But instead of focusing on Emma she focuses on Snow White and getting her killed/imprisoned.

Inquisitor
April 5th, 2012, 08:08 PM
Mr Gold found Henry on purpose; this was revealed in one of the earlier episodes.

I'd like to know why Regina chose to adopt a child, was it just PR or does she actually want a child of her own?

VampyreWraith
April 5th, 2012, 08:56 PM
I think Regina wants to love Henry, but I'm not sure she knows what love is anymore, or how to love someone.

I think she wanted a child of her own, she might have wanted a child because she thought a child would love her. I think Regina wants to be loved.

tomstone
April 5th, 2012, 10:11 PM
Completly agree with the others, she wants love and doesnt know how to do it anymore.

I would love to see a Episode about their Relationship before Emma came to Town.

Mrja84
April 6th, 2012, 06:24 AM
Mr Gold found Henry on purpose; this was revealed in one of the earlier episodes.

I'd like to know why Regina chose to adopt a child, was it just PR or does she actually want a child of her own?

I doubt it was PR, but we just don't know what the people (including Regina) were like before Emma showed up. We they aware, conscious? Was it like Groundhog Day and they just did the same things over and over. If so, then having a child for PR doesn't make sense if the people aren't going to notice.

She did this curse 1) to have power over people (esp. Snow and Rumpel) and 2) to ruin their happy ever-afters.

But there's got to be more. I mean we saw Snow on the run from the law in FTL. What happened that changed that? They didn't seem to worried about her in the last episode compared to Charming.

I would love to see a Episode about their Relationship before Emma came to Town.

Definitely, I want to see that.

fems
April 6th, 2012, 08:07 AM

Possibly because no one could have a child naturally while time was standing still (like Ashley/Cinderella who had to have been pregnant since forever until Emma came and she could give birth) so the only option would be to adopt one from out of town.

jeri
April 6th, 2012, 03:14 PM
Possibly because no one could have a child naturally while time was standing still (like Ashley/Cinderella who had to have been pregnant since forever until Emma came and she could give birth) so the only option would be to adopt one from out of town.
Yes, that's why, time had stood still. I believe she wants love, but is so consumed with her "dark side" she isn't capable of love the way she is. I believe there is some kind of redemption for her, but what that may be, I don't know.

AresLover452
April 6th, 2012, 10:30 PM
I think Regina loves Henry as much as she can love anyone.... which isn't saying much... But somewhere deep down, I think she does care for him.

Alder
April 8th, 2012, 12:18 PM
I'm watching episode 2 on TV right now, and Malificent just said something that I think sheds a little light on this - that if Regina cast the Dark Curse, it would destory something inside her, she'd be left "with a void that nothing could fill".

I think that she really does have an empty place inside her, she loves no-one and no-one loves her, and she was trying to fill it by adopting Henry. But she's just as cursed as everyone else...

Skydiver
April 8th, 2012, 05:29 PM
Or henry is just another magnificent pawn in the whole thing and Regina wants to 'own' him and have control over him until she needs him. But I also think complicating this all is those old maternal instincts. While she may not love Henry, I think she cares for him.

karategirlhorselover
April 14th, 2012, 01:13 PM
I don't even think she cares for him though. I mean he can skip school and she doesn't even care or find out. Talk about unresponsible. Who allows their kid to skip school whenever they want?

knowles2
April 30th, 2012, 06:30 PM
I don't even think she cares for him though. I mean he can skip school and she doesn't even care or find out. Talk about unresponsible. Who allows their kid to skip school whenever they want?

More than a few irresponsible parents, especially in the teenage years. That does not mean they do not love them.

RJLCyberPunk
May 7th, 2012, 06:38 PM
I do believe Regina is trying to fill that unfillable hole she has had since she killed her father to set the curse in motion. But as we now now Rumpel created the curse long before Regina asked for it with the intention to get to this world to find and get back his son. I don't believe they return to Fantasyland but that either the 2 worlds merge or this world gets a whopping magic enema. That's why even though she tries to care for Henry she really feels nothing inside.

Skydiver
May 7th, 2012, 07:05 PM
I think we're going to find out, once and for all, an answer to this.

'true love' is more than a cliche, I think it's a major plot point.

Mrja84
May 10th, 2012, 10:22 AM
I would love to see an episode of how it was when she was raising him. It seems the people in town acted normally, but without any sense of time lapsing.

I say that since Henry's psychologist greeted him and talked about their sessions. And his teacher gave him the book, so shows they were receptive and responsive to Henry and others.

So I am just curious how it all was back then before Emma.

Why did Henry feel so alone that he took up reading the book and believing it? I would like to where his belief in the curse stems from. Why so willing to believe that?

From the latest episode, "An Apple Red as Blood", we finally see Henry and Regina having dinner, but this is Henry further along his belief that she is evil.

I just find Henry's absolute resolve in the story's truth to be unfounded when we just don't know his prior relationship to the woman that raised him.

Why does he hate her so much?

RJLCyberPunk
May 11th, 2012, 06:45 AM
I would love to see an episode of how it was when she was raising him. It seems the people in town acted normally, but without any sense of time lapsing.

I say that since Henry's psychologist greeted him and talked about their sessions. And his teacher gave him the book, so shows they were receptive and responsive to Henry and others.

Why did Henry feel so alone that he took up reading the book and believing it? I would like to where his belief in the curse stems from. Why so willing to believe that?

From the latest episode, "An Apple Red as Blood", we finally see Henry and Regina having dinner, but this is Henry further along his belief that she is evil.

I just find Henry's absolute resolve in the story's truth to be unfounded when we just don't know his prior relationship to the woman that raised him.

First of all I wonder how the book got there to begin with we know that Pinocchio (August) rewrote it after the original was lost but if he wrote the original how did it end up in Storybrooke? He fessed up he derelict from his duty to Emma and went to live a not very exemplary life halfway around the world up until Emma unfroze time when she arrived at Storybrook. I think that being of this world Henry and not messed up with fear and guilt as his mother, he realized that people in the town were not aging despite the passing of time and when his teacher gave him the book it gave him all the answers he desperately needed including who his mother was which is why he sought her out. I still say that I would not want to be in Regina's shoes when Emma guns down for her for what happened to Henry.

Mrja84
May 11th, 2012, 07:26 AM
First of all I wonder how the book got there to begin with we know that Pinocchio (August) rewrote it after the original was lost but if he wrote the original how did it end up in Storybrooke?

I think he just inserted Pinocchio's story into the original and didn't rewrite the whole book.

I'm thinking the book existed from FTL, but then who wrote it? And why wasn't Regina/Mr. Gold not looking forward as it has lots of information detailed in it?

Either it was created as a result of the curse or something else...

RJLCyberPunk
May 11th, 2012, 02:18 PM
I think he just inserted Pinocchio's story into the original and didn't rewrite the whole book.

I'm thinking the book existed from FTL, but then who wrote it? And why wasn't Regina/Mr. Gold not looking forward as it has lots of information detailed in it?

Either it was created as a result of the curse or something else... The original was lost remember Regina took it and probably destroyed the original copy as I recall but it's how different that book is from the known Grimm versions that strikes ass odd but even then we sort of have all their stories in our world, how did that happen. Maybe in this show the Grimms might be sorcerers that at some point bind all magic in the world fearing a recurrence of someone like Regina or Rumpel or worse, and then wrote the book with a few alterations of their own Not that humanity got any better without it anyway and nowadays the mastering of science has proven just as dangerous.

jeri
May 11th, 2012, 02:55 PM

I agree, and good questions. They need to show something like Henry observing Regina doing something bad, or it doesn't follow that he would think the woman who raised him is evil.

Mrja84
May 11th, 2012, 04:02 PM
The original was lost remember Regina took it and probably destroyed the original copy as I recall but it's how different that book is from the known Grimm versions that strikes ass odd but even then we sort of have all their stories in our world, how did that happen. Maybe in this show the Grimms might be sorcerers that at some point bind all magic in the world fearing a recurrence of someone like Regina or Rumpel or worse, and then wrote the book with a few alterations of their own Not that humanity got any better without it anyway and nowadays the mastering of science has proven just as dangerous.

It was assumed, but August grabbed the original and then inserted a new story (at least that's as much as we know).

But good thoughts, who knows. 28 years is kind of odd for the book to be in our world since these stories have been known for much longer.

RJLCyberPunk
May 11th, 2012, 04:45 PM
It was assumed, but August grabbed the original and then inserted a new story (at least that's as much as we know).

But good thoughts, who knows. 28 years is kind of odd for the book to be in our world since these stories have been known for much longer.

Well we know that the Grimm brothers based the stories they wrote on the folklore and legends that they had heard over millenia. And in fact the original book was pretty graphic in the original version the queen in Snow White's story is executed by by making her wear hot iron sleepers and dance until she falls dead.

Mrja84
May 22nd, 2012, 01:03 PM
So Regina was pretty emotional in the finale. Does that change anyone's mind?

jeri
May 22nd, 2012, 09:27 PM
So Regina was pretty emotional in the finale. Does that change anyone's mind?

Yes, she was. So maybe she does really love Henry, but she is so consumed by hate that it keeps her from showing her love. I think she sees her power as a way to protect Henry and her feelings for him. Next season we will see not only a great battle with Gold and the other people, but a fierce one with Emma. But I think the harder she fights Emma, the more she will hurt or alienate Henry.

RJLCyberPunk
May 25th, 2012, 11:19 PM
Yes, she was. So maybe she does really love Henry, but she is so consumed by hate that it keeps her from showing her love. I think she sees her power as a way to protect Henry and her feelings for him. Next season we will see not only a great battle with Gold and the other people, but a fierce one with Emma. But I think the harder she fights Emma, the more she will hurt or alienate Henry.

I think Regina could go from villain to tragic hero like Londo Molari on Babylon 5 as the series progress in season 2.

Ser Scot A Ellison
October 1st, 2012, 12:47 PM
Oh, I think she loves him, but remember, to enact the dark curse she killed her Father. The curse only worked because she loved him.

Mrja84
October 1st, 2012, 05:58 PM
Oh, I think she loves him, but remember, to enact the dark curse she killed her Father. The curse only worked because she loved him.

There's definitely a push-pull dynamic with Regina loving someone yet desiring the ability not to be controlled by anyone like her mother did to her.

Lord Kira
October 11th, 2012, 12:13 AM
Yep, she loves him. The actress said it, the writers said it, the creators said it, and the show said it.

As for her killing her father. After listen to his daughter poor her heart out about how awful Cora is and how she doesn't want to marry the king and how she just wants a life of her own... he simply says "Are you sure it isn't cold feet about the wedding?"

Not to mention him sitting back doing nothing every time he should have stuck up for his daughter.

Worst. Dad. Ever.

Its no wonder she killed him. Oh, now you're trying to protect me? indeed.

Ser Scot A Ellison
October 11th, 2012, 07:18 PM
Lord Kira,

I repeat the dark curse only worked because she loved her father when she killed him. Regina's love is something that I find very frightening. But I was encouraged to see her willingness to let Henry go.

Mrja84
October 11th, 2012, 09:43 PM
I think her love is an evolving thing. She is growing in how she treats people...

jeri
October 12th, 2012, 09:16 AM
Now she shows some real love for Henry by letting him go with David, but then again, does she have some ulterior motive? She loved her father, but then killed him. She did love him or the curse would not have activated, but she always places her own happiness before others. So it's hard to believe she put Henry's welfare before her own. She may think this will keep the others out of here way, a red herring perhaps.

hedwig
January 3rd, 2013, 01:24 PM
When Regina thought her mother (Cora) was dead, she professed her love for her mother. If that's true, it ought to be really interesting when the two of them come together gain, and see what Regina will do to her mother.

Jacquelyn
January 6th, 2013, 01:39 PM
Okay I haven't been on GW in a long time. But wow this is a bit too much don't ya think?
I'm a hardcore Evil Regal. I love Regina.

And yes, I really do believe she loves Henry. She's been conflicted about other things in her life, but that for certain is the one thing she knows. He is basically her weakness. Heck, she even saved Emma & Snow because she was willing to trust Henry. She doesn't want Cora to come back and go after Henry. Because that's what Cora does, goes after the things Regina loves.

the fifth man
January 7th, 2013, 08:51 PM
I do believe that Regina loves Henry very much. He is the only thing IMO that keeps her from going totally dark again.

Mrja84
January 8th, 2013, 06:40 AM
I do believe that Regina loves Henry very much. He is the only thing IMO that keeps her from going totally dark again.

I have been satisfied with how the show allows her to display her love for him. But @the fifth man, I think Henry can just as easily be the reason she goes dark again.

Heck, he was the reason she tried to kill Emma in Season 1.

the fifth man
January 9th, 2013, 09:09 PM
I just don't think she wants to completely disappoint him. She has something to prove.

Jacquelyn
January 13th, 2013, 02:00 AM
Everything up to now has had her to prove to him she can change, that she has changed. I have a feeling if she goes dark again, it's not just because of him.. it's because of everyone. Especially what happened in the last episode.

I mean she raised Henry. Yes, she did bad things. But when it comes to him, she's tried to be a good mother. She never harmed him. As things progressed, we saw her being more caring and loving towards him. Out of everyone in SB.. he's the only thing she loves.

Mrja84
January 16th, 2013, 07:21 AM
I think what really drives Regina is the yearning for love. She lost that when the stable boy died and now with Henry she had a chance.

But she's still too emotional and when things get rough her anger gets her into trouble.

karategirlhorselover
January 28th, 2013, 05:36 PM
And it all boils down to the hatred and anger towards her mother, Cora, because she was the one that killed the stable boy and in turn turned Regina into the person she is now, though she's trying to change to keep her relationship with Henry.