A New Home: The Birth of a new Sci Fi channel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A New Home: The Birth of a new Sci Fi channel

What Scifi...Syfy...Surge TV (I think I remember reading they were gonna go in a Spike tv direction a while back)...seems to have abandoned the BBC may be taking on...which is fine but what exactly is involved in the creation of a channel? Is it time for a new Scifi channel? Could one exist?
    "I'm being extremely clever up here and there's no one to stand around looking impressed! What's the point in having you all?!" - The Doctor (#11)

One could exist but you would basically need a Russian Oligarch or a Arab Sheikh to fund it, certainly in the first few years. It would be incredibly expensive to acquire programmes for such a TV channel exist.

Comment

At least new shows. There might, and I stress might, be a market for a channel that would run syndicated shows to start with.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by maneth View Post
        At least new shows. There might, and I stress might, be a market for a channel that would run syndicated shows to start with.
        The only problem with that is that Syfy own the rights to air many of those shows, at least they use to . An I bet they would fight to stop another network from muscling in the area of Science fiction and Fantasy programming and a easy way to do that is to keep the rights to those kind of programming from anyone else.

I think if a serious attempt was to be made to launch a Science Fiction network again, it would have to focus it efforts developing the brand through a series of straight to web shows, with a focus on making them high quality, network standard.

Delivered them through existing channels such as hulu an Netflix and Youtube and it own website. I would focus on getting rights to franchises that have already proven themselves successful in the book, web or comic book arenas and of cause getting original authors and directors on board to help produce TV/Web shows for these. Focus on world wide releases at once.

Comment

Originally posted by knowles2 View Post
          The only problem with that is that Syfy own the rights to air many of those shows, at least they use to . An I bet they would fight to stop another network from muscling in the area of Science fiction and Fantasy programming and a easy way to do that is to keep the rights to those kind of programming from anyone else.

I think if a serious attempt was to be made to launch a Science Fiction network again, it would have to focus it efforts developing the brand through a series of straight to web shows, with a focus on making them high quality, network standard.
          So Syfy is an a**hole kid who put all the toys in the box and won't share? I can get behind that.
          "I'm being extremely clever up here and there's no one to stand around looking impressed! What's the point in having you all?!" - The Doctor (#11)

Comment

Originally posted by Shpinxinator View Post
            Is it time for a new Scifi channel? Could one exist?
            Well the market is there for one but it would be incredibly hard to get off the ground; for one, you'd have to get channel space, programming, etc. and two, you'd have to deal with Syfy and BBC America who hold alot of rights to sci-fi series... (I don't know of how many rights Syfy holds but I imagine they hold a large collection they're just sitting on) so unless you have a lot of money then you may find acquiring programming difficult.

If you want to do another sci-fi channel then the best thing to do would be to do a online network where original sci-fi shows can be aired and then eventually be grown to be profitable via syndication and marketing deals. The mechanics for that haven't been exactly worked out but the potential is there for another programming souce, I don't know if a original programming/rerun network would work on the internet due to Hulu holding a lot of that market but if you're providing an avenue for original programming then yeah, it could work.
            Back from the grave.

Comment

It just baffles me that the Syfy network seems to truely dispise it's former core audiance

Comment

It just baffles me that the Syfy network seems to truely dispise it's former core audiance
                Agreed. I have been wondering why SYFY hasn't change their name to Fantasy TV, etc. I can't fathom why they would even want to hint at being associated with sci fi.

Comment

It makes perfect rational sense. Money. The more light science fiction that SyFy has migrated too has given some of their strongest quaters in profit
                  Originally posted by aretood2
                  Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                    It makes perfect rational sense. Money. The more light science fiction that SyFy has migrated too has given some of their strongest quaters in profit
                    so the whole time it was the Sci Fi Channel it was what? Leaking money like a sieve?

Comment

No
                      Originally posted by aretood2
                      Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                        No
                        ...I...well....ok then

Comment

Working...
                        X