Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

why exactly do the Goa'uld take hosts and conquer planets?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

why exactly do the Goa'uld take hosts and conquer planets?

presumably the Goa'uld conquer planets for the same basic primal reasons humans want power, so we have grater means at our disposal to satisfy our primal desires for things like sex and food. The only problem with that is that the Goa'uld only desire those things because they take human hosts.... which they only do to acquire those desires. Its a little like me going to a Gas station to refuel my car which I only need to get me to and from the gas station

It is mentioned several times that the Gua'uld are a predatory race. Predators are frequently territorial and even greedy. Take note that a Gua'uld is not a full fledged Gua'uld until it has taken a host. Between the larval stage and host age it goes from a predatory reptile like creature that closely resembles an ancient chinese dragon, to a predatory parasite. You could also expand on that and say the Gua'uld is a combonation of host and symbiote, although the host is not a willing participant. As to whether or not the possesion of a host body changes the Gua'uld (possibly making it lust for power even more), who knows. The sarcophogis is blamed for the lust for power, but I think the possesion of a host may contribute to that trait.

The symbiotes are reffered to as "Gua'uld symbiotes" to show ownership, not to declare their allegence. They can't do that until they take a host, and some do foresake their Gua'uld lineage for other things.

It gets interesting when you take into the account that the humans did eventually defeat them, and many claim humans are in fact not a preditory organism. Stargate's plot shows that the creators of the show are on the predatory side of the debate.
    Todd: Fish in a pond, busy busy, lots to do, here and there. Dry as a desert outside, no place to go. Eat up, get stronger, think and hope, think and hope. Don't look now! Oh, keep dreaming. There must be some other reason for your existence. Defiance tastes like life itself. No river. No water. Die in the desert. Dirt is all around. The harvest moon is rising. Wraith are never-ending. I know the future. Come inside. I'll show you your Destiny... John Sheppard.

Comment

If you want a really good "other viewpoint" on the whole Symbiote/host/power type deal, read the Necroscope Series by Brian Lumley.

In SG-1 however there are many reasons given for WHY Goa'uld act as they do.
      For Why they use human hosts, the reason given in the original movie is pretty much, humans are "relatively" simple beings in a physical sense and easy to repair. In SG-1, humans are not the original hosts, but the Una's. Why the Goa'uld migrated to Humans I can't recall ever being made clear.

As to why they conquer planets, this seems to be part of the sarcophugus as well, insofar as it alters a persons mind to make them feel "all powerful", which is why the Tok'ra don't use it. Add to that the genetic memory of the Goa'uld, you can only assume that each symbiote is probably worse than the generation before it, or at least very heavily predispossed to "evil".
      sigpic
      ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
      A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
      The truth isn't the truth

Comment

It's not strange they take hosts - they're intelligent, so it must be boring being in a lake and not being able to do anything? It makes sense they take hosts!

And they're probaby power hungry for the same reason humans are - and also as you say above they are predatory

Comment

Working...
        X