Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Demon blood thing...

Okay, I'm a little confused.

"I've got demon blood in me, Dean! This disease pumping through my veins, and I can't ever rip it out or scrub it clean! I'm a whole new level of freak!"
    ........................................................-Sam Winchester, Metamorphosis

As we all know, Azazel bled into baby Sam's mouth in order to make him one of his "special children". And that adult Sam drank Ruby's blood in order to be able to exorcise demons without killing the host. So, how does simply swallowing demon blood give him that ability? Wouldn't he have to have Ruby, and for that matter YED, bleed into an open wound of his, their blood mixing with his blood to make him part demon - as it were.

Because, correct me if I'm wrong but, when we swallow things, like food and water, doesn't it just...go through our digestive system? Esophogus, stomach, intestines, kidneys, bladder (or colon, sorry). Therefore, all that blood that Sam drank would just...go through his system? I mean, how does the Demon blood get into his blood just by swallowing it? Am I missing something?

This has been bugging me for a long time. Any insights into this would be greatly appreciated. Even if you just tell me how much of an idjit I am when it comes to this.
    sigpic
    Sig by ME.

You're an idjit...no seriously...ok, here's my take on it:

First, you're only part right about what we eat going thru our system. But what 'passes through' is only the left overs of what our body doesn't need, can't use, or doesn't want. So it uses SOMETHING of what we ingest. So, one take on it is that Sam's body takes what he needs from the demon blood. Since what he takes seems to enhance latent supernatural abilities, it would be fair to suggest that on a metaphysical level, we don't know that 'it' is that his body takes and uses from the blood.

Also, there has been suggestion that there is something special about their blood line. I have my own theory on this, but don't want to share it because I might yet turn it into a fic. But it's already been said that only 'certain' bloodlines can be vessels, and that Sam and Dean themselves are descended from one of these bloodlines, passing through Cain and Able. Now, if NOT sinking the Titanic can create 50,000 new lives over the course of a hundred years, how many people on this earth could then trace their lineage back to Cain and Able, so perhaps all those other potential hopefuls in the town with Sam were distant distant distant cousins, really. For all we know they were the culmination of some very ambitious eugenics and they only needed the demon blood to trigger the latent genes. Kind of like food poisoning is one of the triggers for a specific form of arthritis, if you have the genetic marker for it.

In Sam's case, not only did he get his latent abilities triggered, but they were amplified by his continued exposure to the demon blood. How's that for an explanation?
    sigpic
    Respect the delicate ecology of your delusions.
    --Angels in America

Comment

Hmmm...well, for me, the whole issue isn't clear cut.

It's confusing.

It seems accepted that Sam and all the other special children were changed by the blood of Azazel to give him and the others their powers.

Sam's powers also seem to be connected to Azazel in some way so when he died Sam's powers disappeared.

As for the blood itself...it really doesn't matter how it reacts in a normal body because we're dealing with the supernatural here. Like how vampires can walk and talk when they have no beating heart. Same principal. So it can behave how the writers want it to behave. But they should make it consistent.

When Sam was drinking Ruby's blood it seems he needed it to develop his powers...but Ruby went on to say that Sam didn't get any enhanced powers from drinking it (he was only addicted) but the powers he developed were already in him which he, with Ruby's help, brought out.

But then this happens which seems to contradict that:

When Sam drank all that blood so he could become Lucifer's vessel it seemed that he needed it to power himself up for it. So the blood does have an effect on him.

But then again maybe I need to have a re-watch...
      sigpic

Comment

Okay...too much information to process! It'll take some time for me to, well, process it all. Yes, sis, I am an idjit for not completely understanding this. And, thank you ladies for enlightening me. Even if I'm still a little lost. I think my brain is soft wired.

I guess the writers/PTB now what the hell they're doing, eh?
        sigpic
        Sig by ME.

Comment

RiG, I do hope you realize I was kidding, right?
          sigpic
          Respect the delicate ecology of your delusions.
          --Angels in America

Comment

Yes, of course I know you're kidding. I LOL'd when I saw that.
            sigpic
            Sig by ME.

Comment

Hate be this guy but the show is called "Supernatural"

But really I think the special children could use their abilities while Yellow Eyes (don't know how to spell his name) but when he was killed it takes a reaction of demon blood to allow them to use their powers. Now this can't be proven as they are all dead except Sam of course.
              Vote Anubis for President in 2012
              A Face you Can Trust
              sigpic
              So whats the worst that could happen?
              Supporter of the "It's Asgard, NOT AsgUard !" campaign
              It is better to debate a question without settling it than to settle a question without debating it.

Comment

Originally posted by LizzieAnne View Post
                Hmmm...well, for me, the whole issue isn't clear cut.

It's confusing.

It seems accepted that Sam and all the other special children were changed by the blood of Azazel to give him and the others their powers.

Sam's powers also seem to be connected to Azazel in some way so when he died Sam's powers disappeared.

As for the blood itself...it really doesn't matter how it reacts in a normal body because we're dealing with the supernatural here. Like how vampires can walk and talk when they have no beating heart. Same principal. So it can behave how the writers want it to behave. But they should make it consistent.

When Sam was drinking Ruby's blood it seems he needed it to develop his powers...but Ruby went on to say that Sam didn't get any enhanced powers from drinking it (he was only addicted) but the powers he developed were already in him which he, with Ruby's help, brought out.

But then this happens which seems to contradict that:

When Sam drank all that blood so he could become Lucifer's vessel it seemed that he needed it to power himself up for it. So the blood does have an effect on him.

But then again maybe I need to have a re-watch...
                Sam was still using his powers after Azazel died, but since he never consistently trained he got sloppy and as Ruby put it, needed the demon blood to get him close to a level they needed him at.

He didn't need the blood to be Lucifer's vessel, but he did need it for his powers to be at their best relatively.

If Sam hadn't stopped using his powers and had kept training himself to use them, then he either wouldn't need any blood or as much blood.

But if he did trained and then had the same amount of blood, then wouldn't he have been even more powerful since he had trained himself?

Comment

Working...
                X