PDA

View Full Version : Fringe Season 5: Odds ar 70/30

Homer 120
March 18th, 2012, 01:46 PM
http://www.spoilertv.com/2012/03/fringe-season-5-is-7030-bet.html

So, at Wondercon Jeff Pinker said that a 5th and final season of Fringe is a 70/30 bet, seems to me like the talks have gone well if he's giving it those odds.

DigiFluid
March 18th, 2012, 01:49 PM
Hmm. 70/30 in which direction I wonder.

KatG
March 18th, 2012, 02:00 PM
Since it's being touted as good news, I'm assuming it's a 70% chance in favor.

DigiFluid
March 18th, 2012, 02:13 PM
One can hope! I see that the page is touting it as good news, but that's hard to accept at face value without the context of exact words, tone, etc....

themeatcleaver
March 18th, 2012, 02:39 PM
well without house and terra nova taking up budget with large salaries and the fact that five seasons gives a good length for syndication... our chances are pretty good. certainly better than we had getting season 3 of sgu thats for sure.

/crosses fingers in both universes!

TheRandomOne
March 18th, 2012, 03:30 PM
well without house and terra nova taking up budget with large salaries and the fact that five seasons gives a good length for syndication... our chances are pretty good. certainly better than we had getting season 3 of sgu thats for sure.

/crosses fingers in both universes!

Also they can cancel Alcatraz which would not be a big lost & I think they can cancel Touch so that Kiefer & FOX can focus on the 24 movie(s)

themeatcleaver
March 18th, 2012, 06:07 PM
no way man, I love Alcatraz!

I really have no interest in Touch though

Tanith0709
March 18th, 2012, 08:15 PM
I would like Alcatraz to continue but I would be willing to accept it's cancellation as long as Fringe is renewed.

Not got an opinion on Touch yet. Don't actually think it would be fare to speculate on it's future until after a couple more of it's episodes have aired.

LtColCarter
March 20th, 2012, 01:57 PM
I would like Alcatraz to continue but I would be willing to accept it's cancellation as long as Fringe is renewed.

I wouldn't be willing to accept that. They BOTH must live on! :D

the fifth man
March 20th, 2012, 05:28 PM
This is nice to hear, but I won't be comfortable until we have an official announcement that Fringe is getting a final season.

LtColCarter
March 20th, 2012, 08:04 PM
This is nice to hear, but I won't be comfortable until we have an official announcement that Fringe is getting a final season.

Same here...the news is promising...but I would like a solid confirmation.

ZRFTS
March 21st, 2012, 08:26 PM
70/30 sounds like good odds; however there may be a chance that Fringe could be cancled out of the spot. Still...

*fingers crossed*

the fifth man
March 21st, 2012, 09:23 PM
I just don't really trust FOX. They have been known to have an itchy trigger-finger.

KatG
March 25th, 2012, 02:54 PM
I know. I'll never completely forgive them for cancelling John Doe after 1 season and leaving us with a major cliffhanger. I'm waiting anxiously to see what they will do. If they would just give us a 13 episode 5th season so everything can be tied up (kind of like NBC did for Chuck) I would be a very happy camper, but I won't believe it until I see it in writing on a trustworthy news source.

the fifth man
March 25th, 2012, 06:16 PM
I know. I'll never completely forgive them for cancelling John Doe after 1 season and leaving us with a major cliffhanger. I'm waiting anxiously to see what they will do. If they would just give us a 13 episode 5th season so everything can be tied up (kind of like NBC did for Chuck) I would be a very happy camper, but I won't believe it until I see it in writing on a trustworthy news source.

I would be more than satisfied with a shortened final season as well. After all, something is better than nothing at all.

Tanith0709
March 27th, 2012, 06:59 AM
Would be nice to see Fringe reach the 100 episode mark.

LtColCarter
March 27th, 2012, 09:42 AM
Would be nice to see Fringe reach the 100 episode mark.

:indeed:

DigiFluid
March 27th, 2012, 10:51 AM
All it would take would be 12 episode fifth season. I would be fine with even that, if they were using it to wrap up the story.

Selina
March 27th, 2012, 01:11 PM
Given the not so great ratings I take a 70/30 chance for renewal as very good news indeed. Would have feared that the chances are lower than that. Hopefully we will get that final season. Would be a shame to see such a great show go before it has run it's course.

LtColCarter
March 28th, 2012, 08:45 AM
I honestly don't know what Fringe's issue is as far as ratings go. I think its one of the better shows on TV right now.

DigiFluid
March 28th, 2012, 09:03 AM
Friday Night Death Slot, erratic scheduling, lack of advertising...take your pick.

ZRFTS
March 28th, 2012, 06:44 PM
I'd have to say the Friday Night Death Slot; as the series itself was promoted pretty well...

the fifth man
March 28th, 2012, 07:25 PM
I honestly don't know what Fringe's issue is as far as ratings go. I think its one of the better shows on TV right now.

Fringe is definitely one of the best shows on TV right now. IMO, too many people don't truly know what good scripted television is.

LtColCarter
March 29th, 2012, 03:33 AM
Fringe is definitely one of the best shows on TV right now. IMO, too many people don't truly know what good scripted television is.

:indeed:

DigiFluid
March 29th, 2012, 05:15 AM
I too have been really enjoying this year. I think they've done a really interesting and effective job of writing a lot of monster-of-the-week stories that are subtly and thematically tied to the larger events of the season. Case in point: the episode with the kid near the beginning of the season; a great story about a kid that mirrors the story of Walter's 'inexplicable' loss (of Peter).

That said, I do think they've lost the plot a little bit this year. We spent Season 1 exploring 'the pattern', Season 2 building up to full contact between the universes, Season 3 fighting, and finally culminated Season 3 with the great big moment of an alternate timeline and turning on the machine and bridging the universes so that the problems can be fixed and the conflict stopped.....and then nothing.

We're about 3/4 of the way through Season 4 and we've seen Liberty Island--home of 'work together!' effort--what, twice? We've seen the Over There alternates that we came to enjoy so much just a handful of times, to the point that I'd bet we can count their number of appearances on one hand.

I really do think they've kind of lost the point in Season 4; it's like they had a great idea for a tangent and have been running with it for about 10 episodes longer than they should have.

This isn't to say that I haven't liked it. Not at all--I've been really, really liking it. For the reasons I already said above re: MOTW/narrative synthesis, but also because I've been finding the stories well-written and well-acted. I just don't know that they can afford to go on a season-long tangent when the threat of cancellation has been dangling above them like the proverbial sword of Damocles since (at least) halfway through last year.

KatG
March 31st, 2012, 01:22 PM

Friday Night Death Slot, erratic scheduling, lack of advertising...take your pick.

What Digi said. Fringe had great ratings when it originally aired, then Fox in it's brilliant wisdom, decided to change the night it aired and ratings slipped, which then led Fox to decide that since ratings were slipping they would shuffle it off to the Friday Night Death Slot so that it's ratings could further slip. As far as I know Fox has never had a show do well on Friday nights. *shrugs*

DigiFluid
March 31st, 2012, 01:28 PM
The X-Files did pretty well on Fridays, IIRC. But that's the exception rather than the rule.

the fifth man
March 31st, 2012, 08:15 PM
I really hope that FOX doesn't wait until this season is over to make their decision on the fate of Fringe for next season. The sooner I know, the better for my nerves.

unknown_k
April 2nd, 2012, 11:01 PM
When did Fringe hit its peak then (season and episode)?

DigiFluid
April 3rd, 2012, 09:40 AM
In Season 1 (when it was on on Tuesday nights) it hovered pretty consistently around the 9 million viewers mark, with a low of 7.7 million and a high of 13.3 million. It ended that year on 9.3 million for the finale.

For Season 2, FOX moved it to Thursday nights. It premiered down considerably, at 7.8 million, and for the rest of the season hovered in the 5-6 million viewers area. Low of 4.9 million, high of 8.9 million.

The first half of Season 3 continued on Thursday nights, premiering with 5.8 million viewers and continued hovering in the 5 million viewer range. Low of 4.7 million, high of 5.8 million.

At episode 10 of Season 3 they moved it to the Friday Night Death Slot. In the new timeslot it premiered to 4.9 million viewers and slid generally downward as the remainder of the season played out, ending the year with just 3.3 million viewers for the finale.

Season 4 has remained in the FNDS slot, and continues to draw lower numbers than before its timeslot move(s)--premiering to just 3.5 million. With the various jumps and starts this season (hiatuses of 3 weeks after just 4 episodes, two months after 3 more, and another month after airing 7 more), the viewership numbers have been in the low-3 to high-2 million viewers neighbourhood. High of 3.5 million (the premiere) and a low of 2.9 million (a tie between the first episode back in January and the March 23 episode)

the fifth man
April 3rd, 2012, 05:43 PM
Wow, nice work putting together all those stats.

python490
April 22nd, 2012, 04:06 PM
I think Fringe will get picked up but for 12-13 episodes. Knowing Fox though they will just cut it anyways because it costs too much or something. 4 seasons on the air is an accomplishment especially for a non-mainstream programming. I don't see Fringe and Alcatraz both making it but I wouldn't mind both being on TV.

Arative
April 24th, 2012, 06:10 PM
http://www.spoilertv.com/2012/04/fringe-season-5-99-certain-to-happen.html

Executive producer thinks it is 99% certain there will be more Fringe

Commander Zelix
April 24th, 2012, 09:46 PM
http://www.spoilertv.com/2012/04/fringe-season-5-99-certain-to-happen.html

Executive producer thinks it is 99% certain there will be more Fringe
So there's still a quantifiable chance that we wont get a fifth season? :P ;)

LtColCarter
April 25th, 2012, 07:51 AM
So there's still a quantifiable chance that we wont get a fifth season? :P ;)

Think positive!

the fifth man
April 25th, 2012, 06:41 PM
Think positive!

That is definitely what I am trying to do. I really want a proper ending for this great show.

Sp!der
April 26th, 2012, 03:20 PM
Facebook page says: 13-Episode Season Five Greenlit baby, after a good date, this awesome news came by, the day could not end better! :D

mr_kennedy
April 26th, 2012, 03:22 PM
and ign confirms it
(http://au.tv.ign.com/articles/122/1222580p1.html)

DigiFluid
April 26th, 2012, 03:28 PM
*happy dance*

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

unknown_k
April 26th, 2012, 03:33 PM
Very good news.

KatG
April 26th, 2012, 03:44 PM
Also confirmed by Ausillio

http://tvline.com/2012/04/26/fringe-renewed-for-season-5/

*does a happy dance*

the fifth man
April 26th, 2012, 05:14 PM
I just found out about the renewal being official. This is great news.:D 13 episodes is better than none at all.

unknown_k
April 26th, 2012, 05:17 PM
I just found out about the renewal being official. This is great news.:D 13 episodes is better than none at all.

It does make me wonder if they will spread them out too much, I kind of like having a new episode every week.

I also wonder what will happen if by some chance with the new story the ratings go way up.

LtColCarter
April 27th, 2012, 05:15 AM
This is good news! Now Fringe will be able to properly end in its awesome way! :)

Commander Zelix
April 27th, 2012, 01:42 PM
Think positive!
Wow, that really worked. :)

LtColCarter
April 27th, 2012, 03:22 PM
Wow, that really worked. :)

I always try to think positive...even when its hard to do so. :)

the fifth man
April 28th, 2012, 06:30 PM
This is good news! Now Fringe will be able to properly end in its awesome way! :)

That is what makes me smile the most. I hate rushed endings.