Stargate Atlantis Team Names

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stargate Atlantis Team Names

I'm just curious why a military expedition never gave the teams proper names? Even just going with "SGA-1" would had been understandable. Even "SA-1". But to name a team "Sheppard's team", that just seems unorthodox and disrespectful to the team as a whole.
    O'Neill: "Ah. Trees, trees and more trees! What a wonderfully green universe we live in, eh."

Season 3 Episode 8 - Demons

I believe the Atlantis expediton was a civilian run operation.
    Atlantis was a different series, so I think the writers decided not to give the teams numbers.
    And I think Lt. Col. Sheppard was a little unorthodox in his out look.
    "What do you mean by 'Oopps'?"
    Team Starfist protects all. But having a fully loaded P-90 helps...
    Reality is an illusion... Created by those who cannot handle Stargate...!
    Jankowski's Rules: Rule 1: Check your Six!
    I'm not perfect. But parts of me are excellent I also cook...!
    To thy own self... Be true
    May the odds.... Be ever in your favour..!

Comment

Sheppards team is First Atlantis Reconnaissance Team 9source:http://forum.gateworld.net/threads/1...2-3)?p=4387968)

What ranking others team are in is unknown.

http://stargate-wiki.org/wiki/Atlantis_team

Comment

Originally posted by Tiger View Post
        But to name a team "Sheppard's team", that just seems unorthodox and disrespectful to the team as a whole.
        Subjective. I think it is more personal. They're not just "SGA1", a military designation. They are "Sheppard's team", aka the team led by Sheppard. Which also contains other people. Not just the number 3.
        Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master.

Comment

When I heard Joe M say that the Shep's team was FART, I categorically refused to refer to them as that. In my fics, I refer to them as AT-1 (Atlantis Team 1).
          sigpic

Click here daily to give free mammograms

It is better to be crazy for Jesus than a wise man for Satan. Laters, Misi

Comment

my guess is they did have some sort of names sa-1 but we only saw a few teams the whole time (shepards team, lorne's team and the one with all women). i don't recall seeing any others at least for an extended period of time.
            sigpic

Comment

I think it would've been a small but important touch to identify and name the teams. The show as-is showed an Atlantis Expedition that was....casually/poorly managed, off-the-cuff, and just generally not really all that professional. If even every few episodes they'd dropped a line like "teams AE-3 and AE-5 are off-base on recon missions" it would've gone a long way to making the entire operation feel more professional.
              "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by escyos View Post
                Sheppards team is First Atlantis Reconnaissance Team 9source:http://forum.gateworld.net/threads/1...2-3)?p=4387968)

What ranking others team are in is unknown.

http://stargate-wiki.org/wiki/Atlantis_team
                I think that turned out to be Joe Mallozzi's sense of humor at work there.
                sigpic

Comment

most fics say ATL1 or AT1 or AE1
                  sigpic
                  Ohhhhhhhh WHAM BAM THANK YOU MA'AM

Comment

Did they need team designations? I got the impression that Atlantis didn't send out numerous teams at a time as the SGC would. Usually, there were only two or three teams off world at any given time, no? Sheppard's team seemed to be the only one that didn't change from mission to mission. If the teams had to have designations, why not something simple? AT-1, AT-2, and so on. AT being Atlantis Team. I think the show moved away from such designations to differentiate itself from SG-1. Personally, I was fine with "Sheppard's team."

Comment

It's civilian run and not military, so formal team designations wouldn't be important. Plus, before they were able to reconnect with Earth, they hardly sent more than one team out like on Stargate SG-1. The original expedition only has a certain number of people and perhaps most of them hadn't have off-world training (namely the scientist and other civilian technicians and personnel). However, after they were able to re-connect with Earth and receive periodic supplies via Earth ship, especially when Carter took over command of Atlantis. I'm sure one of her mandates was to update protocol and get things at Atlantis more organized to the same standards practiced at the SGC. I also have no doubt the population of Atlantis expanded and more of the city was settled by new personnel from Earth. Finally, once Atlantis returned to Earth, I am sure IOA approved restoring the city to all its glory, fully equipped with Asgard and Goa'uld tech and a whole contingent of both military and civilian personnel before having the city return to the Pegasus Galaxy.

Comment

Working...
                      X