• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Old Gods and the New (206)

Visit the Episode GuideGAME OF THRONES - SEASON TWO
    THE OLD GODS AND THE NEW
    EPISODE NUMBER - 206
    Theon Greyjoy seizes his former home, demonstrating where his loyalties lie. Arya attempts to avoid detection when Lord Baelish visits, and Jon Snow meets a wildling girl north of the Wall. Meanwhile, a peasant’s riot in King’s Landing puts Joffrey and those close to him in danger, and Daenerys makes a plea for ships to return to Westeros.

VISIT THE EPISODE GUIDE >>
    Last edited by Darren; 08 May 2012, 02:16 PM.

This episode moved the overall plot along faster than I had anticipated. I was expecting the capture of Winterfell to happen the next episode or the week after. That's okay though.

Theon... *sigh*. I will only say that Rodrik's final words to him before his death are fitting. Such treachery carries a high price and...

Spoiler:
    Theon will pay terribly for his betrayal. And he deserves what's coming to him. I have no love for Ramsay Bolton but Theon deserves what happens to him at Ramsay's hands for his betrayal. If Theon had stuck with the Starks, who knows how the war may have unfolded. It may be that the Red Wedding could have been averted altogether.

I don't know how much power the Old Gods have in terms of the North but I get the feeling that Theon's fate was perhaps something of their design.

I hope we get a few more scenes with Ralph Ineson. His tall, imposing figure and deep voice make him a fitting Iron Islander.

I liked Roose Bolton's words about the Greyjoys.
    Robb: Why would Theon--?
    Bolton: Because the Greyjoys are treasonous whores.

I like the setup we're seeing with the Boltons.

I absolutely loved Tywin and Arya's scenes together. The two of them absolutely nailed each scene. The dynamic between the two of them worked incredibly well. What's so good about those scenes is saw a different side of Tywin. Charles Dance once again delivered a brilliantly nuanced and complex performance, especially when he said, "My cupbearer can read better than you." I also loved how Jaqen was annoyed when Arya asked him to scrag Amory Lorch.

The riot... loved it. It wasn't quite what I pictured from the book as we received no build-up to it and it went directly to Myrcella's departure. But the effect was powerful nonetheless. The population of King's Landing--and likely the audience too --has been wanting such a moment to happen all season, especially with Joffrey's monstrous behavior. Seeing it unfold was cathartic, especially with Joffrey getting a face full of cow ****, and then Tyrion insulting and subsequently striking him. Wonderfully cathartic.

My only negative opinion of the episode would be Jon's scenes with Ygritte. The scenes... didn't work for me for some reason. Something about the chemistry between them seemed forced. That's a purely subjective thing though. *shrug*

As for Dany's dragons being abducted.... I don't' know what to think about that just yet. My goodness. That was certainly a departure from the book. I mean, none of those scenes in Qarth happened in Clash of Kings.
    Last edited by Cold Fuzz; 07 May 2012, 12:19 AM.
    sigpic

Comment

Boltons are the last persons
      Spoiler:
      who should say something about treason
      Last edited by Skydiver; 07 May 2012, 02:51 AM.
      Stolen Kosovo
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by g.o.d View Post
        Boltons are the last persons who should say something about treason
        Okay if that is a spoiler you have me worried

And what was with Sandor's comment of "I didn't do it for you"...He certainly didn't do it for Joffrey.
        sigpic

Comment

I loved the changes form the books. This was probably the best episode from the series.

The opening scene was hard to watch. It reminded me Ned Stark's exectution. I was expecting Theon would botched it.
          Spoiler:
          I'm still not sure if he fully deserves what's coming for him, even for what he has done

Scenes from King's Landing were same as in a book. Tyrion, Cersei and Joffrey amazing as always.

Harenhall...I loved Jaqen face. It was hilarious.

beyond the wall: well Ygritte is amazing.

Roob and Bolton. I don't remember it from the books but I believethis was the moment when
          Spoiler:
          Boltons decided they will betray Robb...red wedding

and of course Qarth. I wonder what TPTB have in minds
          Stolen Kosovo
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Gen. Chris View Post

And what was with Sandor's comment of "I didn't do it for you"...He certainly didn't do it for Joffrey.
            He didn't do it for Joffrey or Tyrion. But you've seen how soft he seems to be with Sansa during certain moments.

As for Roose Bolton and his bastard son, no comment.
            sigpic

Comment

Boltons arte *****es, what kind of sane person would flay other people

Hound did it for Sansa. I think he see her as himself, he was bullied by his older brother
              Stolen Kosovo
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Cold Fuzz View Post
                As for Dany's dragons being abducted.... I don't' know what to think about that just yet. My goodness. That was certainly a departure from the book. I mean, none of those scenes in Qarth happened in Clash of Kings.
                Ok good so I'm not totally losing my mind. I swear I couldn't remember any of the scenes that went down in Qarth, especially the final one with the dragons missing. I'm much more relieved now to find out my memory is not at fault

I enjoyed Dany's speech to the master of spices. Her words will ring true (though still a long time from now) and he will regret his decision. Of course you can't really blame his reasoning.

My favourite scene was Tywin and Arya talking. I think they are both doing an excellent job. The way they are portraying Tywin in the series is great. He doesn't seem as cold as in the books, maybe because we get to see more about how he comes to the decisions he makes and why he makes them.

I didn't realize that Roose Bolton was such a close adviser to Robb. He seems to be around when a lot of important decisions are made.
                Spoiler:
                Oh the irony.

The opening scene with Rodrick and Theon was tough to watch, though after what happened with Ned, we should all expect this kind of thing

Spoiler:
                The final words of Rodrick will haunt Theon in ways he cannot even imagine right now. What he will suffer is worse than death. I don't think I can wish that upon him despite his treachery.
                sigpic

Comment

Well that was good. Yet another cracking episode. Plenty of changes, yet each one served, imo, to make the story better for tv.

I particularity loved the riot scene, this season we haven't had that much action, this episode certainly rectified that, and it was very cathartic to see a big scene with a couple of hundred extras having a big fight. Plus we got some great acting from Sophie Turner, and Rory McCann as the Hound, who hasn't been used much this season, so it was great to see him being badass.

The episode while being very sad in many ways such as Ser Rodrik's botched execution by Theon, also actually had a lot of humour. The whole sequence with Lorch and Arya, culminating with him opening the door and toppling over was hilarious, particularly Jaquen's reaction to being asked to kill him right there and then. In fact the Harrenhal sequences were excellent, and Charles Dance is excellent as Tywin and he an Maisie Williams as Arya work very well tighter.

The whole episode look great as usual, particularly the stunning scenery in the North of the Wall sequences, and I thought the ending was dramatic. A good change, Dany's story drags in the book, this seems to put her on the same trajectory but with much greater urgency and drama. Roll on next week!

Comment

Roob and Bolton. I don't remember it from the books but I believethis was the moment when
                    Spoiler:
                    Spoiler:
                    I don't think Roose has made that decision quite yet. Robb has made a grave mistake, but he could very well still win out in the end and Roose is too careful to commit to anything too soon. He probably has started making arrangements and is waiting for further mistakes from his King though.

Right now I really see no point in this alteration, but I'm hopeful that they have a good reason for this and will bring that part of the story back on track next week.

Comment

The opening scene was hard to watch. It reminded me Ned Stark's exectution. I was expecting Theon would botched it.
                      I was actually expecting Theon to botch the execution. Valyrian steel swords like Ice (which was used to execute the Night's Watch deserters and Ned himself) never need sharpening. That and swords from the Ironmen aren't nearly as sharp or have the kind of weight of a greatsword like Ice. And of course, I expected Theon to be an amateur at chopping off people's heads. It was obviously his first time doing something like that. From the Iron Islanders' POV, Dagmer was correct in having Theon execute Cassel to cement his authority with the rest of the Ironmen.

Spoiler:
                      Spoiler:
                      I always thought this came later? Then again, it could've been the Boltons were always waiting for an opportunity to usurp the Starks for power in the North.

This is speculation but...
                      Spoiler:
                      I'm guessing that the hooded figure was
                      1. One of the warlocks taking the dragons to the House of the Undying
                      2. The warlocks hiring one of the Sorrowful Men to kill Dany's people and take the dragons to their House.
                      3. Jorah taking the dragons and giving them to the warlocks. (This last one is unlikely Jorah hasn't exactly been completely honest or loyal to Dany.)

Originally posted by magictrick View Post
                      Ok good so I'm not totally losing my mind. I swear I couldn't remember any of the scenes that went down in Qarth, especially the final one with the dragons missing. I'm much more relieved now to find out my memory is not at fault
                      Yeah, when I saw those scenes, I immediately thought, now this is interesting. And when the dragons turned up missing, I thought, WTF?

I didn't realize that Roose Bolton was such a close adviser to Robb. He seems to be around when a lot of important decisions are made.
                      Spoiler:
                      Oh the irony.
                      In hindsight...
                      Spoiler:
                      I always thought the Boltons were trying to gain an advantage over the Starks in some way, especially with their age-old rivalry. But the Red Wedding cements their position as untrustworthy and dishonorable to many of the Northern Lords. By the time Stannis comes north to the Wall, I think many of them want the Boltons and Freys out of the picture.
                      Last edited by Cold Fuzz; 07 May 2012, 03:09 PM.
                      sigpic

Comment

All these tagged spoilers are so not cool...Must not pull an Ukko...
                        sigpic

Comment

All these tagged spoilers are so not cool...Must not pull an Ukko...
                          Would you prefer untagged spoilers?

Comment

Originally posted by The Mighty 6 platoon View Post
                            Would you prefer untagged spoilers?
                            Definitely no. I'm already finding out enough just from the little things you guys are saying.
                            sigpic

Comment

Definitely no. I'm already finding out enough just from the little things you guys are saying.
                              Just remember never to "reply with quote" a post with a spoiler. You'll get an unpleasant surprise
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X