• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The North Remembers (201)

Visit the Episode GuideGAME OF THRONES - SEASON TWO
    THE NORTH REMEMBERS
    EPISODE NUMBER - 201
    While the conflict between the North and the Lannisters continues, Tyrion arrives in King's Landing to try and rein in Joffrey and Cersei. Daenerys fights to survive in the Red Waste, and the Night's Watch ride north of the wall. Having received a message from Ned Stark, Stannis Baratheon declares his intentions to claim the iron throne.

VISIT THE EPISODE GUIDE >>
    Last edited by Darren; 04 April 2012, 01:47 PM.

Ah, I've never been the first to post in one of these threads until now. The season premiere did not disappoint. I'm actually watching the encore presentation now because I loved the premiere so much.

I was quite happy to see that Peter Dinklage got a very well-deserved first billing! I noticed that the opening sequence got a little tweak with the orchestration in the music. Good match with the new effects for Dragonstone. I was hoping to see new effects for the places beyond the Wall and east of the Dothraki Sea.

• Excellent cinematography, especially with the overhead shots of Dany's caravan moving through the Red Waste. I especially liked how the comet was the transition point for several scenes in the narrative.
    • Ah, Tyrion positively milking his moments was wonderful. His whistling entrance into the Small Council and Cersei squirming at his arrival was wonderful!
    • Another favorite moment: Grey Wind intimidating Jaime.
    • Melisandre was appropriately creepy. I never did trust the R'hllorapalooza fervor in the books and I'm glad that particular religion was being painted with the appropriate ambivalence.
    • Stannis was appropriately hard-assed. I especially loved his line about how Robert didn't love him and he didn't love Robert.
    • I can already tell that Davos will be one of my favorite characters this season. Liam Cunningham was a great addition.
    • Robb giving Alton Lannister terms was badass.
    • Another good line, this time from Grenn: Your ass broke the sledge.
    • Intriguing sequence with Bran's dream; wonderfully sets up what's happening in the future books.
    • Dany: "My brother didn't know anything about dragons. My brother didn't know anything about anything." Loved it!
    • Interesting bit with the white raven. That wasn't supposed to be something brought up until much later in the narrative--near the very end of A Feast for Crows I believe.
    Last edited by Cold Fuzz; 02 April 2012, 03:54 PM.
    sigpic

Comment

I loved this episode. I liked this season premiere better than the first season; I thought it flowed better.

I liked the beginning scene with Joffrey and Sansa(felt bad for Sansa); loved Tyrion and the scene in the council chambes. The scene between Littlefinger and Cersei was was great, so was the one between Cersei and Joffrey.

Loved the scenes at Robb's camp. Loved seeing Grey Wind going up to Jaime and intimidating him, I thought the direwolf looked good. The scene between Jaime and Robb was great. Catelyn and Robb's conversation was great too.

Loved the parts with Jon north of the wall, wish we got to see Ghost(though not seeing him is understandable).

I liked Dany's scenes, I love how Emilia Clarke plays her.

I also really liked the parts with Stannis, Melisandre, and Davos at Dragonstone.

I don't think I disliked anything about the episode, at least I don't remember disliking anything.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by VampyreWraith View Post
        I loved this episode. I liked this season premiere better than the first season; I thought it flowed better.

I liked the beginning scene with Joffrey and Sansa(felt bad for Sansa); loved Tyrion and the scene in the council chambes. The scene between Littlefinger and Cersei was was great, so was the one between Cersei and Joffrey.

Loved the scenes at Robb's camp. Loved seeing Grey Wind going up to Jaime and intimidating him, I thought the direwolf looked good. The scene between Jaime and Robb was great. Catelyn and Robb's conversation was great too.

Loved the parts with Jon north of the wall, wish we got to see Ghost(though not seeing him is understandable).

I liked Dany's scenes, I love how Emilia Clarke plays her.

I also really liked the parts with Stannis, Melisandre, and Davos at Dragonstone.

I don't think I disliked anything about the episode, at least I don't remember disliking anything.
        I pretty much hung on every single moment and minute of the premiere. It definitely outclassed "Winter is Coming" by leaps and bounds and I still love that episode.

Another encore presentation is airing and I'm not bored of this.
        Last edited by Cold Fuzz; 01 April 2012, 09:37 PM.
        sigpic

Comment

As expected Tyrion stole the show here. He was awesome in his scenes with Joffrey and Cersei.

I liked the bit with Bran's "dream". They are doing a good job with him and all the visions they are showing.

Spoiler:
          it really is doing a good job setting up for what is to come in the books, all the subtle hints they are showing are great I think. It may be hard to follow if you don't know what's going to happen to him but it will make sense in the end

I also thought they did a good job giving screen time to almost all the major factions involved, it was a nice setup for the rest of the season.
          sigpic

Comment

With the white raven showing up now, it's possible they are condensing things a bit. SUch as will this season end with the battle for King's Landing or will it end past that? (I haven't read spoilers so I'm happily speculating)

They really do need to condense the books a bit. The story is good, but there's no way it'll hold its ratings to drag it out for 6+ years.
            Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Well that was good.

The writing, the performances, in particular the production values and cinematography, which were up from last year, were all brilliant. A great episode of tv, and yet it seemed to me to be set up, showing us where everybody was, and what paths they were on. That's not to knock the episode, quite the opposite, if that was the quality of a set up episode, how brilliant will the pay off eps be?

It's difficult for me to single out one thing since the ep was a big ball of awesomeness but both Lena Headey and Peter Dinklage gave standout out performances, there was some great banter in that first nightwatch scene ("your arse broke the sled "), and Dolourus Edd's first line, the actor nailed it beautifully.

Also loved the scene between Littlefinger and Cersei. I've heard it criticised, that it's out of character for Littlefinger, makes him look weak and paying his hand by being too obvious, but I love it, it is very multilayered. Although it seems Cersei has the upper hand, with her guards able to slit Littlefingers throat at any time, she doesn't have them do it, because she needs him and his knowledge, hence in the end it is Littlefinger who is actually proved right, knowledge is power.

Now its another long week wait for the next instalment.

Comment

Stannis was just perfect. Hard nosed, no-nonsense, and not inspirational at all.

A great start. Is it sad that I'm already worrying about the season being over?

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                  They really do need to condense the books a bit. The story is good, but there's no way it'll hold its ratings to drag it out for 6+ years.
                  As far as I know, they fully intended to go for 6 seasons or more, no way they can fit the stories into a season a book. They intend to do the next book in two seasons, not one.

HBO have plenty of shows that have gone on for 5 or 6 years, some of them longer. And HBO, do expect their ratings to stay up, their popular shows like the Sopranos and True Blood started with moderate ratings then increased season by season. Game of Thrones thus far seems to be following the same pattern, the ratings didn't just hold, they went up steadily through the first season.

And in the end, unlike other networks, HBO are not wholly interested in ratings. While they'll cancel a show that tanks in the ratings, as this indicates complete lack of subscriber interest, primarily as long as the show is making money for them, they'll keep it on the air. Thrones was already making money for HBO at the start of season 1 when the ratings were at the lowest, and they renewed it the day after the premiere for a second season. It's expected that the show will be renewed for a third, and possibly fourth season at the same time, within the next day or so.

Comment

Originally posted by The Mighty 6 platoon View Post
                    As far as I know, they fully intended to go for 6 seasons or more, no way they can fit the stories into a season a book. They intend to do the next book in two seasons, not one.
                    actually I've heard a certain event from the third book will taky place in this season. Probably in the last episode.
                    Stolen Kosovo
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by g.o.d View Post
                      actually I've heard a certain event from the third book will taky place in this season. Probably in the last episode.
                      They have moved certain events around to make the story flow better, so that for example characters who would not be in many episodes have something more to do. However the producers have already stated they will need to have 2 seasons to cover the main plot of the third book.

Comment

So this takes place just a few weeks after the end of season one, yes? It's funny how much older the children are (Joffrey looks like he grew 3 inches between the seasons)

It definitely felt like a set up episode, with each setting only getting a scene or two, and all at once. That was kind of disappointing, but damn, Tyrion is always a scene stealer. And it was a good set up episode, I just wanted to see some action other than the
                        Spoiler:
                        massacre of possible and confirmed bastards

And two seasons for one book? Damn, I might have to end up reading the books...I'm currently thinking of only reading each book after each season but I don't know if I could wait that long.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Gen. Chris View Post
                          I just wanted to see some action other than the
                          Spoiler:
                          massacre of possible and confirmed bastards
                          It's not an action show, it's a drama. While there will be fighting and battles, and it looks like there will be a fair bit of that in the latter half of this season, you are barking up the wrong tree if you are looking for action in every episode.

Comment

Originally posted by The Mighty 6 platoon View Post
                            They have moved certain events around to make the story flow better, so that for example characters who would not be in many episodes have something more to do. However the producers have already stated they will need to have 2 seasons to cover the main plot of the third book.
                            I know. I've just heard
                            Spoiler:
                            Red wedding will be in the this season. My guess it will be the last episode
                            Last edited by g.o.d; 02 April 2012, 08:55 AM.
                            Stolen Kosovo
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by g.o.d View Post
                              I know. I've just heard
                              Spoiler:
                              Red wedding will be in the this season. My guess it will be the last episode
                              I think that's rubbish. I haven't heard it before now, do you have a credible source? And it makes no sense story wise, the climax will be Blackwater, there isn't enough time to set up how and why that event you're talking about happens in one episode after that.

Also in interviews and stuff like comic con panels, the producers talk about that event as a milestone for the series to get to, and they specifically talk about reaching it in season 3.

Comment

Working...
                              X